„BISMARCK“ – German’s battleship 1941 – 1/200 by Trumpeter, Pontos, …

The “Bismarck” was the first of two Bismarck-class battleships built for Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine. Named after Chancellor Otto von Bismarck, the primary force behind theunification of Germany in 1871, the ship was laid down at the Blohm & Voss shipyard in Hamburg in July 1936 and launched in February 1939. Work was completed in August 1940, when she was commissioned into the German fleet. Bismarck and her sister ship Tirpitz were the largest battleships ever built by Germany, and two of the largest built by any European power.

In the course of the warship's eight-month career under its sole commanding officer, Capt. Ernst Lindemann, Bismarck conducted only one offensive operation, in May 1941, codenamed Rheinübung. The ship, along with the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen, was to break into the Atlantic Ocean and raid Allied shipping from North America to Great Britain. The two ships were detected several times off Scandinavia, and British naval units were deployed to block their route. At the Battle of the Denmark Strait, Bismarck engaged and destroyed the battlecruiser HMS Hood, the pride of the Royal Navy, and forced the battleship HMS Prince of Wales to retreat; Bismarck was hit three times and suffered an oil leak from a ruptured tank.

The destruction of Hood spurred a relentless pursuit by the Royal Navy involving dozens of warships. Two days later, while heading for the relative safety of occupied France,Bismarck was attacked by obsolescent Fairey Swordfish biplane torpedo bombers from the aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal; one scored a hit that rendered the battleship's steering gear inoperable. In her final battle the following morning, Bismarck was neutralised by a sustained bombardment from a British fleet, was scuttled by her crew, and sank with heavy loss of life. Most experts agree that the battle damage would have caused her to sink eventually. The wreck was located in June 1989 by Robert Ballard, and has since been further surveyed by several other expeditions.

(source: www.wikipedia.com)

1/200 - Trumpeter's big Bismarck

Several time ago, Trumpeter released the Bismarck as 2nd kit in their big 1/200 scale series (after the USS Arizona). Later, several more kits were released until today, and more future kits were expected. The kit of the Bismarck consists of more then 1.700 parts, 13 plates of PE-parts. The total length will be about 125cm.

53o6n4g9ppdm.jpg

I already built one of the big Trumpeter kits with the additional parts by KA Models / MK.1 design (and more) several time ago.

This time… I will do it in a different way....

First of all… what parts will be used to build the Bismarck as detailed as possible? This time… I will use the big “Advanced set” by Pontos Models which includes a lasered wooden deck, 318 turned brass parts, turned gun barrels for all guns on deck, 15 plates of PE-Parts, 27 resin parts, 25 life rings, dry transfer decals. Additionally used are some resin parts by CMK which were very high detailed. Further PE-Parts by Modellschlachtschiffe.de (which I still have on my stock from last Bismarck project). Fabric flags and EZ-line for rigging, decals for the big markings on the deck by Blue Ridge Models, and the wonderful 3D figues by North Star Models.

2uwoaomkl5z7.jpg

ygiyzmbnmq4.jpg

Brass lamp risers for the display of the kit are ordered and needed before starting the project finally. Right now I am waiting for these to start the project.

j8x2kw9rvf.jpg

The painting of the kit will be done mostly with colors by Lifecolor in the camouflage 1941 scheme with the white/black stripes and the painted waves at the bow/stern. Weathering will be done with several oil colors, pigments, and other stuff.

I hope that you would like this new project and that it will be of interest for you!

Starting soon, as soon as the parts for the display arrived! I think it will become a long lasting project again..... and a lot of patience :)

Cheers. Michael

Edited by elmarriachi
  • Like 7

Yes another one :) I dreamed of the Pontos set last time.... now I have it :) I think it is once more more detailed as the MK.1 set... which is already fantastic :) And I want it in the other paint scheme... :) And the Bismarck is my most favourite ship ever :)

• Like 2

Very cool Micahel! I loved your other Bismarck build... I have just about all the same aftermarket goodies and a second Bismarck myself sitting around waiting to be used so I've very interested to see you tackle this one. The Pontos stuff is absolutely superb by the looks of it!

Edited by Chango

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot! :)

The brass parts for the display arrived in Germany..... at customs office :( Now waiting for it.... and waiting for German post which is officialy on strike right now ... :( FU** !!!! :( and waiting .... and waiting .... and waiting ..... :(

Hello.

finally the brass parts for the display arrived from USA! :) SOHERE WE GO .....

First step, measuing the hull for the display stand. 45cm away from bow and stern.... two wholes drilled inside the hull and checked the brass parts.... looking not bad I think ....

dsc_6253_1024x678lcsxr.jpg

dsc_6256_1024x678resva.jpg

dsc_6257_1024x678edse2.jpg

dsc_6258_1024x678bbsqi.jpg

Next step will be a nut on the inside, glued and fixed for later mounting of the brass stands....

Also the hull received two plastic parts on the bow.... later filling and sanding ...

dsc_6258_1024x678bbsqi.jpg

Cheers. Michael

Just thinking about trying to show the horizontal panel lines on the hull as visible on the picture below ....

ship_bismark24_zpscf5egjz2.jpg

What do you think? It is mostly visible only the horizontal lines... the verticals are nearly nowhere visible.. or only little .....

Maybe trying to show the horizontal ones on the hull....

BR
Michael

I second that; somewhere I have a DVD (Mig Jimenez, I think) called "Weathering German Warships", and he uses exactly the technique Longshanks suggests. The model us a Graf Spee, but the effect us the same, and extremely convincing

Next step - adding the bow which is consisting of two seperate parts. Then filling the gaps, also filling some areas on the hull as well. Then sanding the complete hull in several stages. Also sanding the eyebrows over the portholes, and the steps on the stern. I also filled the "Gruppenhorchgerät" GHG on both sides as the holes where completely wrong.

After the complete hull was sanded smooth, I started drilling all the holes.... firstly I opend all portholes..... then I drilled the holes of the "Gruppenhorchgerät" with the Pontos template, and the holes for the later coming steps on the stern, also with templates from Pontos....

dsc_6334_1024x678shkyv.jpg

dsc_6356_1024x6784qkir.jpg

dsc_6363_1024x678cfj40.jpg

dsc_6357_1024x678vjjrx.jpg

dsc_6352_1024x678nbjwm.jpg

dsc_6360_1024x678jgkn1.jpg

Cheers

Micha

• Like 5

Thanks a lot!

I tried several bolts for the portholes and used one which finally is fitting exactly in the holes exactly the same size...

Sorry to say this, but that template looks all wrong. The horseshoe is symmetrical as shown in this picture.
ghg_close_up.gif

And this one of the template

319.jpg