Help needed re. Italeri vs. Airfix 1/48 Hawk

Mark

Hi all,

I know that this comparison has been done to death and the majority prefer the Italeri kit, however the Italeri fin is quite a bit taller than the Airfix one. Any ideas? Should I sand the fin profile to match the (possibly) more accurate Airfix one?

Also, any clues on which after market seats to use. At what point did the head box change on the MB seats?

Italeri looks to be the choice 48th Hawk between the two (discussed a few years ago here), though not without its problems like the nose and poor detailing.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234967185-148-bae-hawk-italeri-or-airfix/

I have both and while Italeri is a little better overall, they both need a some AM help and the Airfix canopy is terrible with that heavy DET chord molded in. Both cockpits are poorly done. I've yet to find accurate AM wheels either.

I used the Neomega cockpit in an Airfix Hawk which was better than the CMK at the time and still better than WP's; in addition to an unknown VAC canopy. I had started the Italeri kit and shelved it (when I moved) only after I got a Neomega cockpit installed, which took some work.

Not sure about the seat changes, so you'll have to do some research.

Edited by Mike V

• 2 weeks later...