Wallace and Gromit Aeroplane - BoB Tribute (Fun Build)

I was looking for an 'easy build' as a break from my Memphis Belle and recent Valoms and my thoughtful daughters provided a solution as a birthday present, a 1/12 (or 1/8th?) Airfix (Nr. 51101) 1999 classic. The intention was a build for fun (WiP here). Built almost OOB but, at Procopius' suggestion (thanks PC) also as a sort of 'tongue in cheek' BoB tribute. Any concerns over scheme authenticity were explained by Procopius: "...this scheme was worn for a short period in 1940 by the Royal Cartoon Auxiliary Air Force's 1567 (Anthropomorphic Dog) Flight." Thanks PC. :D

Here is the finished article:

DB4B8FFB-02C0-4B3F-822E-735846BDFDE5_zps090C9CC6-F689-4A85-BE39-0A66C431E223_zps

114FC706-AC2D-478E-A8ED-F0A2538E5723_zpsF2B1E6CA-F14B-4AA7-AB63-212140415652_zps

C3B25F5A-8D99-4CAA-B816-33C1F6FA8C35_zps284FEE6C-D839-4435-9F10-AD06D50A5925_zps

The build took over from the Belle and various problems reduced the fun, a bit, mainly the plastic. Nigel H thinks it's probably ABS; it's certainly heavy and very shiny leading to all sorts of adhesion problems until I started sanding to remove the gloss / oil. A few non-OOB changes:

• primed with Vallejo acrylic grey which tried its best but didn't bite into the plastic
  • VMA 'Sky' (71.103) and DE (71.029) airbrushed and H30 DG hand brushed. AK True Metal gunmetal for the 'porridge cannon' and aluminium for its mount. Prop tips Liquitex marker pen. Klear coated prior to transfers and VMA matt coat after.
  • ​Gromit initially painted with supplied 'Super Acrylic' but later gave up and used Humbrol enamel 61+130 50/50. Helmet and jacket H10 Acrylic with Humbrol filler 'sheepskin'.
  • Custom transfers for the 'Preston kill awards' and others from my limited stash
  • Porridge added (water, no salt, bit of sugar - actually it's a cotton bud)
  • Five minute epoxy used in place of the supplied poly cement.

The WiP was one of our usual joint efforts and, I think, is both entertaining and educational - this build certainly taught me a few lessons!

Hope you like it but remember, it's a fun build of something that doesn't actually exist so be nice guys please! :D

• Like 44

Stunning rendition of a very brave BofB flight...

Great fun to watch Ced and the results are great... Now remember when moving poses for gromit, you move the eye just a tiny bit then and arm just a little bit...

Cheers and well done getting the paint to stay on

Rob

• Like 4

I'm glad to see you managed to cure the chronic skin condition Gromit appeared to be suffering from at one stage during the WIP thread! :) Love the results of you hard work!

• Like 2

Rob that made me LoL, really! :rofl:

For the 'uninitiated' reading this Rob provided a link to a '

' during the WiP which helped, 'just a tiny amount'. :D
. Glad I was of some service!

Rob

• Like 1

Brilliant! Makes me want to see the movie again... and again... And I recognize the "building just for fun"-syndrome. It turns often into "soooo much work on a horrible kit"... :work::)

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 1

Thanks all for your very kind comments. In retrospect it was a few days of fun with a few hours of frustration - but that's what it's all about eh?

Thanks again, now I'm back to Belle!

Thanks Mike and Stew - too kind :)

Back to my Memphis Belle. She's spent far too long away from the top of the 'new content' post list!

• Like 1

Good to see it finished Ced. Nice job dealing with all the trials and tribulations this "easy" build gave you.

Still thinking on my Dogfight Doubles idea. This may be the year.

• Like 2