Calling all brush/hairystick painters

mctrl87

This seems to be an unavoidable problem no matter what you do, although the quality of brush has an impact. Some brushes come with clear plastic sleeves to fit over the barrel and that helps. I always use them .. until I lose the sleeves, that is!

The general tip is to clean them, then lick your fingertips and smooth the point out with your saliva covered fingers. Oooh sounds gross but it seems to work, for a while anyway

I've read somewhere that the problem lies with the oils in the brush drying out over time. I vaguely remember someone (a very long time ago) suggesting you wash them, then roll the bristles on a soap bar and then shape the point, apparently this helps restore the natural oils.

But I've never tried this technique as I would have thought the soap would react with paint the next time you use the brush.

Neil

Years ago ,when using enamels , I read about using the tip of vaseline for this, which just washes out in white spirit before use. It did work.

I could see soap working OK with acrylics, as that would wash out in water, but it seems a lot of acrylic brushes are synthetic, as acrylic paint sticks to natural hair moer than a synthetic fibre.

I think this is discussed in one of the links I posted.

• 1 month later...

A simple question with a long answer.

Several brushes. I use 10/0, 5/0 & 3/0 for fine details, 1 and 2 flats for medium work and 4, 6 and 8 flats for applying main coats on larger surfaces and a 12 flat for final varnishing.

As for makes; I use a variety. Most are fairly cheap at about £1 each, but I have chosen them carefully from the shop stock.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just tried out model air paint with a brush(I really like it for the the airbrush) for the first time and it look,s very nice after two coats with a couple of hours

drying between,well thinned Tamiya is my normal choice.

SDC13466%20640x480_zpsxnnjth7m.jpg

I wash acrylic off with very hot water soaking the brush for a minute or two then squeeze dry with kitchen towel and re-shape.

Just getting caught up on this topic, and was admiring the colours of your brushwork Steve. I assume from your post that these are Vallejo Model Air paints; can you tell me which paint colours you used to get your RAF camp colours looking so correct? I'm having a heck of a time finding anything Vallejo that really matches RAF dark green and dark earth.