Spitfire Mk. 1 "LO G" 602 squadron

Starfighter

Hi guys,

Just a quick query regarding the above machine : According to the Topcolours No. 16 " Battle Of Britain " book the profile of this machine has the upper wing gas detection square painted on, but would I be correct in assuming that by this time ( Sept. 1940 ) they would no longer be applied ?

The reason I ask is that I'm building this particular machine, and there's no mention of this on the Xtradecal sheet X48143, so does anyone know which is more likely to be correct ? :cheers:

The (paper) patches were taped, not painted, on; in the list of available paints, at that time, there is no gas-detection paint listed. Gibson wrote that they found the patches were very much hit-and-miss, when tested, so they gave up on them.

That's just as I suspected. Thanks for the info, Edgar . . . I shall leave the patch off my model, then. I must admit I was rather impressed with the profiles in these books : I'm not sure how accurate they are, but they certainly look good ( To my eyes, at any rate ! ) :cheers: