Merv Milliken (Spike7451)

6 Jun 1967 - 9 May 2015

RIP

Merv was one of those people that I felt I had known all my life. Although we have never met and all our chats had be 'electronic' I knew Merv as a big hearted and generous man.

In recent years Merv spent his time helping at animal sanctuaries and provided a home for two lovely cats Orbit and then Daisy.

Merv's joined Britmodeller on 27 March 2007 and was (if I remember correctly) one of the first 2000 members and with his extensive knowledge gained from his time in the RAF, particularly about the Tornado, Merv was always in demand on Britmodeller where he would happily help any fellow modeller out.

I know that Merv looked back fondly on his year in the RAF where he served as an Armourer and looked forward to reunions and meeting up with old mates.

I think my lasting memories of Merv will be his hilarious drunken Facebook posts, they always made me chuckle.

Merv, I will miss you. While your waiting set up the pints we always talked about sharing.

Blue Skies my friend.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Love

Mish x

Please feel free to leave your own tribute

• Like 12

That's very sad news, I know he was greatly troubled in recent years, always hoped he'd come through it all.

RIP Merv.

Wez

• Like 2

Ah, nuts

Knew Spike was ill, but hadn't heard that he lost the fight.

R.I.P. Merv.

Let's see some more support for the G.B.

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to have befriended Merv for the last few years of his life. I knew of him on here but first met him at the animal sanctuary he was volunteering at. He had a soft spot for the feral cats, whom the centre manager didn't have much time for, and he got me and the wife involved too in the ferals, just to pee the manager off! He treated them like his own though, he had a very loving heart for cats.

I was also with him the day he was diagnosed with leukaemia. The wife sorted him out with his benefits, as he had been living in near poverty when we met him. The extra money at least gave him a bit of comfort towards the end of his life as it meant he could feed and heat Daisy without worry.

One thing I am particularly glad to have done though is help him find his Mum's grave. We used to drive a van loaded with dogs from NI to Kenilworth in Warwickshire to the Dogs Trust there. These were dogs who would have been destroyed here but fulfilled the demand for pets in England. Merv made many of these trips, and with a vanload of 20 dogs on average, he saved hundreds of dogs in his time. Anyway, on one of these trips he said he wanted to try to find his Mum's grave in a cemetry in Solihul, where he was originally from. Armed only with a 20 year old photo, I managed to work out where it was for him. I'm good like that :) I'm just glad he found it, it was his last trip with the dogs, just before the leukaemia.

The wife and I drove him to and from hospital and looked after Daisy when he had to stay in. To show how big hearted he was, he even cried in front of us when he thought of leaving Daisy for a few days in hospital.

He beat the leukaemia the first time, but unfortunately it came back stronger.

I'm just happy to have been a friend even for such a short period. He was one of the good guys, the type who dies far too young.

RIP mate.

• Like 20

Mish, Chris - thank you. Moving tributes, both, and more than enough to make me reach for the whisky.

I met Merv through BM, and came to appreciate his occasionally pointed sense of humour, his fondness for his life in the service, and most of all his selflessness when it came to animals. He was broken by the loss of Orbit, and only really managed to patch himself together for Daisy, who then proceeded to rule his life. I believe he was very happy about that :).

My wife and I were friends with him via Facebook, and had a long-standing plan to meet up in Gracie's one day. Sadly, we never will now.

I'll miss his late-night postings to my page of Pat Benetar songs, his fierce devotion to animal rights, his stories of Daisy stealing his dinner, and our friendship.

You are missed, my friend. 'Til we meet again.

• Like 2

I didn't personally know Merv - but the posts about him above say it all.....Chris - you are also the type of friend that most people could only hope for - sadly there are many ex - service leavers out there in similar situations.

RIP Merv - hopefully get to meet you at the 'Final RV'...Valhalla!

Per Ardua Ad Astra/Untrinque Paratus

Tim

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3

I've only known Merv through Britmodeller. He was one of the very first members on here if I remember.

From the comments on the boards he was one of those blokes who wore his heart on his sleeve, so he could be funny, serious and a miserable sod depending on the mood!

Never short of a kind word, he was very supportive of all my numerous Tornado builds, most notably the 1/32 monster build which was auctioned off to raise money for Help for Heroes. He was very timely in his advice, generous with his praise and unerring in his defence of the Tornado and all things explosive!

One of those colourful characters who, while not being an integral part of your life, you still miss.

RIP Merv, hope you enjoy the GB!

• Like 4

Not sure if i'll be taking part in this GB, but I met Merv a few times as he lived not too far from me. He was always happy to help and dropped off some model parts (a pair of Hindenburg tanks for a Tornado if I remember rightly). Great bloke, though i think he was a bit startled to realise how young i was when he called at the door the first time!

Bumped into him a year or two later as we were both looking to buy some Warsteiner beer, which i believe was his favourite!

Rest in peace mate, and thanks for all your help.

Dave

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen this, never realised that Merv had passed away. RIP mate, great tribute Mish :)

I didn't know either Neil, just saw a tribute build posted in RFI. I'd never met Merv either, but always enjoyed his posts & he certainly knew his Tornado's & his posts were always really helpful.

Really sad news, & I agree, good tribute Mish, as is yours Chris.

RIP Merv

• Like 3

WoW...Just Fookin WoW!!! Awesome Comments Guys...God it's got dusty in here now :crying:

I first met Merv in '86 at Cosford on my Armourers Mech's Course...He was a couple of courses behind me, (That made him a Smallie)...Very much an amenable chap with a serious drinking head on his shoulders!!! And has already been said, an extremely charitable guy...If he could help he would, if he couldn't he would help find someone who could...Our paths crossed only once whilst in the RAF, and that was a very drunken night at RAF Bruggen after the Armourers 'It's A Knockout' (Read piddle Up!!!) Tournament...Then we lost contact...But thatnks to Facebook, we got back in contact a couple of years ago, we would chat regularly on the phone about how he's doing with his fight and how he was feeling...There was one time when he disappeared off the radar a couple of years ago. He'd killed his Fb account and no one had heard from him...He'd not answer his phone or anything, so Myself and another friend of his got onto PSNI (Police Service Northern Ireland) to do a call to see if everything was Ok...Well that night, I got a call and boy was he wee weed at me!!! LOL He'd decided to take a break from everything as he had just posted something he wasn't very proud of and thought we were going to give him a gob full...But I explained in words suitable for the time, and called him a 'Stupid He will not only be missed in this community, but also in the wider community of the Animal Sanctuary and also the Brotherhood of Armourers!!!

Zone.

Edited by Zone19
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Never met him outside of BM but he was always very helpful. I particularly liked how he got wound up every time somebody would post up "tornado undercarriage colour -White or grey" = pull the pin

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I'm deeply sorry to read of Merv's passing, but he will be well remembered amongst the Britmodeller community. It's also comforting to know that his presence, personality and willingness to help others will live on in the posts he has made here, and in the memories of his fellow modellers and enthusiasts. The wealth of knowledge he was always willing to share, and clearly the generosity displayed in helping out even those he only knew through this forum, will never be forgotten.

I never met "spike", but have read countless posts by him giving a brief insight into his life, knowledge, and service of his country.

Rest in Peace, and be assured - you will not be forgotten.

• Like 4

OH GOSH ! I didn't realize or know until the thread popped up today...don't know how I missed such sad news...

I gave Merv Kit years ago. .A 1.32 scale but cant remember what it was now.

Goodness this is truly SO sad & 48 is so young too . wasn't he also a TA member{Territorial Army}

Rest in Peace Merv... :crying::angel:

Fly the BM flag up there ...

• Like 1