MiG-17F and MiG-17PF Fresco - Egypt June 1967 and "war of attrition" 1967-1973 1/48 upd.!

Hello everyone:

group photos of my recently finished Egyptian MiG-17F and MiG-17PF Frescos:

the MiG-17PF in natural metal is from around the 1967 war with Israel. Hobbyboss plastic (very good, hardly any problems)

still in UARAF (United Arab Republic Air Force) markings, decals are sourced from various sources, the 31st squadron "bat crow" unit insignia was printed at home with the artwork provided by Tom Cooper, thanks!!, see in progress build

KK-2 ejection seat is from Aires (a bit small!), 23mm cannons and pitots are from Master and very recommendable!

the MiG-17F is from the closing stages of the war of attrition/ beginning of the Yom Kippur war, in cmouflage colors, but an example apinted before the Nile valley camo scheme was introduces fleetwide. the flag shows the Hawk of Quraish which was used from late 1972 up until the 80ies when it was slowly replaced by the current Eagle of Saladin.

Decas are Hi-Decals, which at the moment seem to be the only ones who provide the correct flag for this time frame. the decals were reshaped though. Arab numbers come from the Iraqi airfoces decals sheet from Lindenhill decals.

cannons and pitots are from Master, the KK-2 ejection seat is from Neomega resin (very recommendable!)

the MiG-17F is armed with one 37mm and 2 23mm cannons in the nose, as well as 8 Sakr rockets and 2 250kg bombs on fuselage pylons only to be found on Egyptian MiG-17s!

in progress and lots of additional information from Tom Cooper, many many thanks!!!!, without your help this build would not be half as accurate!!!!!, and all the others that contributed can be found here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234974798-mig-17f-and-pf-fresco-june-1967-and-war-of-attrition-1967-1973-double-build-148/

so here some impressions:

IMG_8050_12_1_zpsw8agzwjv.jpg

IMG_8053_1_1_zpstz6laepa.jpg

IMG_8057_12_1_zpsxiyj1jni.jpg

IMG_8059_1_1_zpsklbzrshm.jpg

IMG_8062_1_1_zpsqhnzxxe1.jpg

IMG_8065_12_1_zpsjvvjbu31.jpg

now fully armed:

IMG_8260_1_1_zpsdvn1sgls.jpg

IMG_8263_1_1_zpsc1whfbl5.jpg

more photos of the individual planes will follow soon if you want ;)

thanks for looking, reading and your comments!

regards, Werner

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 17

Very nice Mig-17's.

I like the the difference in colour schemes between the two, it shows one of the main changes in Arab air forces to take place after the 6 day war.

Tom is really helpful isn't he, he helped me with my Mozambique Mig-17 and is helping with my Iranian RF-4 at the moment. I think that there are quite a few of us on ere who owe him a great debt for helping us build models as accurately as possible.

Craig.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see more photos of the natural metal one.

here you have some more ;)

sorry for the delay!

lets start with more photos of the MiG-17PF:

IMG_8348_1_1_zpsxyt8vp05.jpg

IMG_8344_1_1_zpsa6uilaxj.jpg

some copckpit detail: OOB apart from the Aires KK-2 seat:

IMG_8293_1_1_zpsk1hdtsyv.jpg

IMG_8355_1_1_zpsyiaespy2.jpg

IMG_8292_1_1_zpsm6docl1h.jpg

IMG_8357_1_1_zps6cxqrbb7.jpg

afterburning! radial engine KLimov Vk-1Fnozzle and deployed airbrakes:

IMG_8365_1_1_zpsvhlq7t4v.jpg

IMG_8368_1_1_zpsgbwqty2h.jpg

radar shrouds unique to the PF and PFU verions:

IMG_8370_1_1_zpsqgowzxsr.jpg

IMG_8383_1_1_zpsktso23w0.jpg

and last one for today :) in a nice evening sun!

IMG_8375_1_1_zpsefkqnjn6.jpg

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2

I like the the difference in colour schemes between the two, it shows one of the main changes in Arab air forces to take place after the 6 day war.

Tom is really helpful isn't he, he helped me with my Mozambique Mig-17 and is helping with my Iranian RF-4 at the moment. I think that there are quite a few of us on ere who owe him a great debt for helping us build models as accurately as possible.

yes, Tom was very very helpful! much appreciated! your MiG is also absolutely great! looking foward to the RF-4 :)

concerning the camouflage: not all countries changed from "silver" to camouflage immediately though.. china springs to my mind in particular!

• Like 1