Cromwell resin models in 1/72 scale

kolibri282

I guess from what I hear Cromwell models has had a bit of a infamous reputation within the modeling community over the years and it still has it's problems sadly, but who out there has built any of their models? From what I see their kits are highly detailed and as good as if not better than a lot of injection plastic kits out there.

I recently ordered a few of their kits from Tracks and Troops, one of these models looks to be huge even for 1/72 scale and looks beautifully molded and designed the 15cm FLAK GERAT 50. I understand Cromwell make it's casting to order so the wait time for any model could be anytime between a week to months. The owner of Tracks and Troops tells me he is frustrated by the way Cromwell deliver so erratically. I can't say it doesn't frustrate me a bit, but where else will you get some of the really obscure subjects Cromwell are selling? I also bought their 88 Flak 41 to make a platform for another Rhientocher I have. They produce a Rhientocher with it's launch base already I'm getting and they are producing a Rhienbolte missile and launch platform soon.

I've dabbled with resin and Photo etch brass kits for years, mainly because no injection molded kits of those subjects exist in any scale. Has anyone built any Cromwell kits and if so what are your experiences working with their resin kits?

I've built a few resin kits from Extratech, mainly the German radar and rocket launcher and Attack's 12.8 Zwilling Flak guns. I'm interested to hear how good or bad Cromwell are and are they worth the possibly long wait for.

I've built the Cromwell 'Vickers Medium Mk II' in 1/76 resin.

It was a very nice kit, and covered an unusual esoteric subject that I had recently viewed for real at The Tank Museum, so it was one of those inspirational builds.

In 1/76.I found that the tracks looked so much more convincing than the common rubbery ones I had experienced in plastic kits in the past. Otherwise, I suppose the 'blocky' structure of the Vickers Medium Mk II lent itself to the moulding techniques required, and I felt it worked well.

I have built a number of 1/72 Cromwell kits over the years, all purchased on the spur of the moment (get em whenever you can) and I have always been massively impressed by their quality and price.

The level of detail has to be seen to be appreciated. I am not interested in his WW2 or Israeli kits (although they look fantastic), but I will buy his British/Western Cold War kits when I see them, almost without thinking.

FredT

• 1 month later...

The detail is exquisite & they are high quality models. Well worth investing if you can find them.

A good introduction & list from the latest catalogue can be found on the Henk of Holland's website, if I'm correct ?