desicion making time

Madhatter

hi al

I am looking to make a "small" investment in an Anigrand resin kit - my first full resin kit ever.

My choices are:

1) 1/72 KC-10

2) 1/72 VC-10

3) 1/144 C-5

I have done a fair amount of research into each one - and a lot of what I see are moans about accuracy. I am not a rivet counter and I couldn't care less if a nose is a couple of degrees out - so long as it looks mostly like the actual craft and not a sci-fi endeavor :)

Which one would you choose? I know pretty much most people here are British and would favour the VC-10 (it is a fantastic looking aircraft I will admit - hence why it's on the list)

I was reading a WIP thread on the KC-10 here this afternoon - but it stops in 2012 and I never saw the end result, but he had a lot of issues with warping. I am wondering if it was his in particular kit or if they are all like that out of the factory?

Is the VC-10 also like that? From what I have read, it seems to be one of their later molds and quite well done at that but still.

The C-5 seems to be quite good but there is something about the nose that doesn't look quite right. Maybe it was just the angle of the photos. I couldn't buy the 1/72 version of it simply because it is way to big and extremely expensive.

If anyone has built one or more of the above, I would dearly love to hear what you have to say about your kit (even a link to a WIP wouldn't go amiss ;) ) Even if you haven't built one, your input would be appreciated. I love all 3 subjects, so I can;'t just choose my favourite, so I am going to look at it from an ease of construction and quality perspective

MH

hahaha - I wish I could answer that with a single answer - but alas, I can't because I like all 3 of them :)

The VC-10 at least lends itself to more than one colour

If you could only buy one, which would you choose based on the info you may or may not have read about Anigrand?

On principle, I wouldn't trust any aircraft as large as those to resin. Regardless of manufacturer, you will likely see droop and warpage over time just from the weight of the medium.

As for Anigrand themselves, from all I've heard about the quality of their resin casting and quality control, I'd have to know they were my absolute only option for a subject I absolutely had to have before giving them money. Most reviews of their products mention numerous pin holes to fill, not so clear transparent parts as well as warping likely caused by removing parts from moulds too soon.

Magna made a kit of the VC-10 in 1/72, though I've not heard anything particular about its quality or current availability.

With the KC-10 doable in 1/72 in vac form, I definitely would go that route with it rather than resin. Aircraft in Miniature make a DC-10 kit with a separately available KC-10 conversion set to get that job done.

Edited by upnorth
  • Like 1

thanks for your input there upnorth, greatly appreciated and taken in. I've never built a vac from kit either, and to be honest, they didn't even enter my mind as a viable optionM

right just have to look into that

cheers

MH

I've got two Anigrand kits (built one) and both had "issues". One had a missing fuselage half (a considerable oversight) and the replacement (took a few weeks) was somehow a different size to the one I already had.

The second kit had a missing stabilizer which they supplied within a couple of weeks.

Caveat emptor, as the saying goes!