Academy 1/48 F-4C Phantom

Hello,Alex - How can I add to the compliments posted already? I'll just say that this build is a magnificent tribute to the 'Phantom' and to her famous pilot,Robin Olds.Phabulous! All the best,Paul.

• 4 years later...

Slotted stabilators wouldn't have been seen on an F-4C. The F-4E introduced those when they entered Air Force service. Late model F-4Bs had the slotted stabilators as well, though it seems to have been relatively recently that it became known to modelers. That said, this F-4C model is genuinely museum quality; gorgeous build. I'll ask you to educate me please. Was a loadout of 12 750 lbs bombs used often? I've seen loadouts of two TERs with a total of six and a centerline MER with a loadout of six, but without loaded TERs, and "six" seems to have been the most common load. 12 750 pounders was a load an F-4C could easily carry.

Absolutely outstanding build and finish. Not to take anything away from the work displayed but it was not common practice, by the USAF in Vietnam, to carry both Sidewinder missiles and a bomb load on the F-4 inner wing stations, despite several kit manufacturers advising to do so. 

The USN F-4 Phantoms on the other hand did carry this mixed load on the inner stations. 

I never believed this to be true, until recently, but I've still not found a photo showing both missiles and bombs on the same station from this period of time. 

Again, suburb workmanship though. 

Hello Alex,

The "private"plane from Colonel USAF Robin Olds. Famous aircraft and extremely talented pilot.

The model looks fantastic. Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

On 9/6/2020 at 7:16 PM, Gene K said:

It is a beauty!

But what about the slotted stabilators?

Gene K

Gene I of course bow to your superior knowlege on this subject!

I'm not that boned up on 'Real' Phantoms, only the British F-4K & F-4M.

👍

1 hour ago, At Sea said:

I'm not that boned up on 'Real' Phantoms, only the British F-4K & F-4M.

Hat's off to you for being a Phantom fan. The K and M models are also a couple of my favorite subjects, but I know (!) that you have  much more in-depth knowledge of those airframes than me ... for starters.  Modelers like you generally have "superior knowledge" of their favorite subjects owing to passionate research ... and many times their background.  

Alex's F-4C is one of the finest Phantom builds I've had the pleasure of seeing, and his skill is over the top (check out his builds if you haven't - truly outstanding)! I've been admiring this particular Phantom  for years, having downloaded all the pictures when he first presented them in 2015.  

Gene K