Airfix Kitstarter

Leamy

I see on the Airfix site, they are running a "kitstarter" program. Basically, they dust of their old moulds and when enough people pay up, they produce a limited edition of that mould. Only bluetits and bullfinches at the moment, but sounds quite exciting to me. I would like to see some of the old boats myself and other suggestions?

Edited by Leamy

Great idea from Airfix. Though I was a bit undecided when I saw what they start with. The kickstart forum shows some more interesting kits (to me).

In the end my personal biggest issue with the kickstarter projects would be the postage as I sadly do not live in England. Still: A cool idea.

Rene

It is indeed an interesting concept, although to be honest I'm not sure there's much in their backcatalogue that I may be interested in...

Or better, I can't think of any aircraft kit from Airfix that I wouldn't be able to find. Granted, some (like the Basset) are quite expensive on the second hand market, however how much will these newly made kits cost ? Not to mention the high postage requested from Airfix to send kits outside the UK. The latest Basset I saw for sale at a local show went for £15, would a newly reissued one under the kitstarter scheme be much cheaper ?

Mike asked this here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234982505-whats-airfix-announcing-tommorrow/page-5#entry2000342

but thread has been moved to here.

Posted Today, 03:02 PM

Dave Fleming, on 29 May 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:snapback.png

Basset. and the dinosaurs

The bird kits were moulded for the Japanese amrket not that long ago (Maybe 10 years)

My sister built some blue tits when she was around 10-12, so they must be older than that... unless they've been re-tooled?

Hi Mike

the Airfix birds were first issued in the late 1970's, what Dave meant is they were reboxed for the Japanese market 10-12 years ago by Gunze-Sangyo.

I got the Woodpecker and Little Owl for HLJ for about £12 post paid a couple of years back.

As the bagged kits have warnings in English/French/German/Spanish I presume they bought a load of bagged kit and just added boxes and instructions.

As I got the Bluetits and Bullfinch second hand a well, I'd like to see the Robins and Kingfisher redone!

I'm amazed Airfix have not aimed for the 200th Anniversary of Waterloo and reissued their 54mm Napoleonics, as these are still very decent base kits for figure modellers, same scale as their Multipose, which they can be cross kitted with, and tie in with the Historex 54mm as well.

• Like 1

I see on the Airfix site, they are running a "kitstarter" program. Basically, they dust of their old moulds and when enough people pay up, they produce a limited edition of that mould. Only bluetits and bullfinches at the moment, but sounds quite exciting to me. I would like to see some of the old boats myself and other suggestions?

I don't think I'll be voting for the Bluetits. Got loads of real ones in the garden.

There's a forum on the Airfix site here for posting ideas.

I bet the Vintage Airfix website is wondering what the heck is going on - I'm sure I'm not the only one who went there to see what might be in 'the archives'!

I voted for the Bristol Superfreighter but I'm not holding my breath!

It does say no guarantees can be given on their website so I'm guessing Airfix is just looking for suggestions at this time. I've noticed Cessna O-2 has been suggested (not by me I might add) and Sikorsky HH-53. Already have the HH-53 in the stash and I built the CH-53 first time I was in the hobby. A good kit to build

Edited by Knight_Flyer
  • Like 1

Sound's a good idea seen the price for a VC10 on ebay and its not ever a good kit, like a few to build for models based on aircraft from "Vulcan's Hammer: V-Force Aircraft and Weapons Projects Since 1945" but this depends on the final price. If short run will it cost the earth ?

Detail from Airfix on the pricing package would be of help. I would also like to see some of the 1/600 ships.

Edited by garry

Hi all,

Just received an email from Airfix about a new thing they are trialling called "kitstarter" and was wondering what folks on here thought of it. The plan is that they will put up an old kit (they say the molds have been cleaned, examined and tested) and if you place a pre-order, and enough pre-orders are taken that kit will be put into production and supplied as a short run only to those who pre-ordered it.

Novel idea but I am not sure if it will be well received. The first two options they have put up are a little oddball I feel though- A pair of tits and a pair of Bull finches.

a bit surprised that nobody has started a thread on this yet it was launched today.

looks slightly similar to the Revell wish list, albeit with Airfix folk actually on the forum responding to questions etc.

at the moment s there's only a couple of birds to vote on, but it looks as though that'll change in days/weeks to come

my favourite is the SRN1 hovercraft, and the Saunders Roe SR53, and the ....and the.... (goes on forever)

Edited by sennapod

ah...but it's no longer rumour . perhaps move it to somewhere else now they've gone public with it?

my apologies too. I searched in Chat and Aircraft but didn't see anything on it - so created a 3rd topic.

I would like to see their 1/32 car range re released, not so much the Veteran stuff.

A decal sheet for the SR 53 would be nice, my Eastern Bloc one is useless and you can't get the correct font and size for the serials in aftermarket!

Yes 1/600 RN, Free Enterprise, SS Canberra.