HMS Caroline paint schemes uncovered -- literally

Procopius

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2015/may/29/150528-hms-caroline

"Experts working on the restoration of cruiser HMS Caroline have sliced through her history to reveal the exact paint scheme she ‘wore’ at the Battle of Jutland 99 years ago."

• Like 1

That is interesting, especially this paragraph:

"The research shows the cruiser has enjoyed many paint schemes through her life (we counted at least 38 layers) anywhere from a beige-cream to a rather dark grey at her launch in 1914"

It would be nice if they went the whole hog and restored her to full Jutland condition, but you'd also be ripping out a lot of her subsequent history. Probably too expensive to do as well. :hmmm:

Mike.

Edited by MikeR

• 2 months later...

Diminished chances of promotion in the Edwardian navy, I daresay.

did you get promotion for having the prettiest battleship then? :)

did you get promotion for having the prettiest battleship then? :)

Yes you did

What your ship looked like was more important then gunnery

Officers would buy paint to make the ship look better and during gunnery most ships threw the shells overboard rather then dirty the ship with cordite stains

Then came a man called Fisher who swept all away

Read the book. Castles of Steel

• Like 2

Yes you did

Officers would buy paint to make the ship look better and during gunnery most ships threw the shells overboard rather then dirty the ship with cordite stains

and there's always Gilbert and Sullivan from 'H.M.S. Pinafore'.............. "stick close by your desks, and never put to sea, and you all may be rulers of the Queen's Navveeeeeeeeeeee" :)

• Like 2

Yes you did

I would actually recommend Massie's earlier book, Dreadnought, about the pre-war modernization of the Royal Navy for a better idea of the pre-Fisher service and the changes he and officers like gunnery expert Percy Scott brought about.

• Like 1

I would actually recommend Massie's earlier book, Dreadnought, about the pre-war modernization of the Royal Navy for a better idea of the pre-Fisher service and the changes he and officers like gunnery expert Percy Scott brought about.

Yes your quite right its the earlier book i was thinking about I apolgise for any confusion caused

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Indeed, but it does not fill you with great confidence for the potential accuracy of their restoration if they are unaware of the true colors used by the RN during Caroline's years in service and are simply going on the yellowed samples they find. For the record, the East Indies livery in 1919 was white with primrose yellow (not buff) funnels, masts and yards.

• Sorry the white buff was a mistake, btw I always wondered about the white, back in the 70s when my brother was in the Andrew he served his time in the survey fleet, I saw 3 of the ships he served on close up and went aboard many times, what does this have to do with colours. As you may know the survey fleet wore the White/Buff scheme ONLY it was not White as in White but rather a semi gloss Slightly Creamy White. His ships were HMS Woodlark (old Ham class mine sweeper) HMS Fawn a Bulldog class survey ship and HMS Hecla lead ship of the Hecla class survey ships..I think this is the colour we are seeing here only weathered.

The white that would have been used by Caroline in the East Indies 1919-22 was AP 537. This was a pure white. The mixing instructions for it contained only white colourants.

During the 1920’s and 30’s the authorized mix permitted the addition of a very small amount of blue when it became AP 537A.

The use of the pure white AP537 was reintroduced immediately post WW2, again with the addition of a very small amount of blue sanctioned.

Around about 1947 the RN started trials of Alkyd paints but the aim of these was to reproduce the earlier hues and this was achieved after some initial hiccups. My understanding is that these new paints were used from 1949 onwards, but my interest being WW2 and earlier paints I have not researched their mixes. However these photos of Woodlark, Fawn and Hecla seem to show a pure rather than a creamy white:

http://solentarchive.co.uk/piwigo/picture.php?/4660

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kev_slade/8893405816

http://www.maritimequest.com/warship_directory/great_britain/pages/aux_vessels/hecla_a133_page_1.htm

Yes those pictures do show a white / white don't they, ah but pictures lie too. I saw close up the colours and being a ship modeller since my early teens I noted the colours on most of the RN warships when I could get on them to view, helps having many family members in the Andrew esp on ships "family days" and I can assure you it was NOT Pure White :)

Off at a tangent, has there ever been a kit of a Caroline Class cruiser? I had a relative on HMS Comus who was at Jutland (previously on HMSs Duncan & Irresistible and later Princess Margaret) and have always fancied a model of it. Very elegant craft to my eye.