HMS Renown....no not that one, the Gin Palace!

It's always nice to see how ship models build up,with more and more detail being added. I must try one, one day!

This is looking very nice so far Bob.

Cliff

Thanks for the positive comments so far, I can safely say that this one is burning my eyes out! :hypnotised:

I did have a brief respite from the fine detail and started work on the seascape. This is the first time I have tried this and opted for the watercolour paper method. I got a cut out of watercolour paper and painted in an ocean dark blue acrylic well watered down. I didn't want a consistant colour so mixed it around abit to give different shades. I then glued this down onto my mounting board. The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that it isnt quite central on the board. It must have slipped whilst I wasa weighting it down

100_3639_zps4idmmcqi.jpg

And how it looks with Renown on it

100_3640_zpsqxbll3of.jpg

I am doing her at anchor so i dont have to worry too much with wave and wash effects just yet! The next stage is to coat it in acrylic crystal clear spray to add the glossyness of the water. Once I am happy with that I will mount the renown on and then add a few white water details. Pics to follow shortly on that.

I did then go back to the masts. I am not convinced that the platforms are in the right place but they are secured now and not moving. I will also replace the guns as the barrels have come off, but I have quite a few spare ones. I also added some etch to the upper mast and made a couple of holes through the main mast for the rigging to go through. This is where I am at the moment, waiting for a prime.

100_3641_zpsxeelpcro.jpg

Hopefully have more pics and progress soon.

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 1

Still plugging away slowly at this thing. I don't know if it will complete before the end of August but as shall try my best!

I have now near enough completed the masts, one is primed, the other waiting. The hold up at the moment is the yellow/ocre colour. Because I will probably have to mix this I wanted to wait until all is complete until I spray this. Once that is done progress should be markably quicker. First up the primed mast

100_3643_zpswy4kegme.jpg

and the rear mask, not the railings on the crows nest, they were a bit fiddly to say the least!

100_3642_zpso5becshs.jpg

I gave the seascape a couple coats of varnish, well it was more like 37 coats because I could not get rid of a 'flat' spot in the gloss and no matter how hard I tried it would not budge. I will add a couple of 'white horses' just to break up the monotiny to try and represent a cloudy choppy but calm Halifax Harbour. I was going to attache the hull this week but forgot to add the red colour under the white cheat line. I shall try and mask off a nice smooth consistant line, but if that fails then I have some decal white strips!

100_3647_zpslvfmevnx.jpg

I tried to get a decent shot to illustrate the matt blotches on the base but wasn't too successful

100_3644_zpsmqbxw79w.jpg

The problem area seems to be around the bow. I shall leave it for now and continue. The myriad of little boats have been primed and then these can be fitted. One or two of the motor boats will be dispatched in the water.

Thats all for now folks!

Bob

• Like 2

she looking great Bob!

Wow that mast is so fine and the detail! The water base looks fine to me, this is one build I really can't wait to see how it all looks when completed!

• 2 weeks later...

she looking great Bob!

Wow that mast is so fine and the detail! The water base looks fine to me, this is one build I really can't wait to see how it all looks when completed!

Thanks for the encouragement, this is one that is certainly making my eyes :hypnotised: but I crack on non the less! The pace has stepped up a little since my last post. I opted to brush paint the yellow/mustard masts and accessories as I didn't have the enthusiasm to get the airbrush out and mix up paint. It turned out OK. I have also fixed her to the sea scape so handling has got a whole lot easier and I can reattach all the bits that I knocked off. So here are a few phots. First up I managed to 'paint' the white cheat line ith the thickest ugliest hairy stick I could find, and it turned out nice. This was the before shot after I tried to (unsuccessfully) to mask the cheat line

100_3663_zpsszhwcohf.jpg

And this is after, a huge improvement

100_3666_zpsnrrws4th.jpg

And yes I did use a hairy stick and certainly didn't use these :whistle:

100_3661_zpsdb2iaeqs.jpg

I was then able to secure her to the base and started building everything up.I also drilled a hole in the base for the anchor chain and threaded it up through the deck. I haven't cut it to length yet because I have no idea where it goes after the capston (?) and don't want to waste any as it has alot of ships to cover! I also added a few ladders which will need a touch up with white paint and I found some etch to detail the mast to make it a touch more interesting.

100_3671_zpsgwxnphfk.jpg

I also added the booms and some etch 'runnings' that aren't exactly accurate but is better than nothing.

100_3674_zpsoh0y511p.jpg

Also started is the mast rigging. I drilled a fine hole in the mast under the lower crows nest (?) and threaded 5 lengths of fine cotton through it. I glued this in and will then attach the bottom of the wires to the deck. Looking at the pictures there is an awful lot of rigging required! The first stay is taped down whilst the glue goes off. They are very fine so will try a white background next time to make it stand out more.

100_3675_zpsajw7qedn.jpg

Unfortunately the macro shows up alot of faults. You can clearly see the damage caused by removing the lower crows nest (?) In reality its not that noticeable. Future pics wont be so close lol!

Finally for today I started on the boats. They were primed and wood areas painted. I sanded one down as it will be in the water, this is it for effect. You can also see my subtle white horse effects in the background!

100_3670_zps62belu6z.jpg

Thats all for now folks

Laters!

• Like 3

• 5 months later...