MS 500, Criquet, VNAF. (Fiesler Storch)

Hi Everyone,

Here`s another addition to my `Flying Dragons` South Vietnam Air Force collection and an aircraft I never envisaged building as regards Vietnam

YSkaLti.jpg

Tamiyas 1/48 Storch kit

rtJLP8K.jpg

Converted to an MS 500 Criquet as used by the fledgling South Vietnamese Air Force in the early 1950`s

n68aETp.jpg

Firstly as a Flight Trainer and later as a Forward Air Controller (FAC)

QtPPuAx.jpg

Most of the parts to do it were in the box luckily, the only additions being a couple of power bulges on the engine cowling

KViBP6J.jpg

and some after market decals from Hannants. I had to sand off the fabric effect from the wings as these had aluminium skinned ones.

TH1C5fu.jpg

Hope you enjoy, Thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 30

Good to look AND educational! I had no idea that these things were ever used by anyone other than the Germans in WW2. I love to learn something new so thanks Russ.

Another cracking build, by the way!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Another one of Russ's ineresting and offbeat subjects! I always look forward to them and this one is a cracker :thumbsup:

Beautiful finish on it as always,

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Good to look AND educational! I had no idea that these things were ever used by anyone other than the Germans in WW2. I love to learn something new so thanks Russ.

Another cracking build, by the way!

Cheers,

Roger

Roger,

Wholeheartedly agree and I was surprised myself with the number of operators of the type, following some research earlier in the year. I knew that some of the other Axis powers operated the Storch during WWII (Bulgaria, Italy and Hungary for starters) but several other air forces used them Post-War (either captured ex-Luftwaffe machines or new-build aircraft, such as the license built MS 500 Criquet). To my knowledge, France, Laos, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland all operated the type Post-War and the Czechs also used it extensively since they also produced license-built examples for both the military and civilian flying training schools. Some were even seen in RAF markings during the war, having been captured in North Africa, Italy and Germany as the Allies swept through between 1943-45 and hastily pressed into service as AOPs or Squadron 'hacks'.

• Like 1

Looks so delicate, doesn't it. A lovely little airplane, almost like an insect in a way. I had no idea these had another life after the Luftwaffe, and Vietnam of all places.

• Like 1

Very nicely done. How did you make the power bulges?

Thanks Nigel, the power bulges were carved out of some F4u-1d weapons pylons end caps from the Tamiya kit

• Like 1

Another superb job Russ. I actually saw one of these fly at Duxford last weekend and its amazing to see. It just hangs in the air or as one of my lads said "its a lift with wings".

• Like 1

Interesting Criquet,I guess it has the distinction of serving in all sort of weather.From the cold region of europe,the hot desert of the middle east and the tropical humidity of Vietnam.Wow....for such a small plane,this one really had travelled around the world!

• Like 1

I saw one fly at Duxford's VE Day show, the STOL capability and the turning ability is amazing.

Very nice build, never seen that scheme before.

• Like 1

Another superb job Russ. I actually saw one of these fly at Duxford last weekend and its amazing to see. It just hangs in the air or as one of my lads said "its a lift with wings".

Totally agree. We were lucky enough to see one doing a short demo when visiting Kermit Weeks facility outside Orlando some years ago. I had not seen anything like it and until then, thought the DHC Beaver had an impressive STOL capability…how wrong I was !.

• Like 1