Fairey Fulmar Wingfold

moaning dolphin

Good day everyone!

I am currently doing the MPM 1:48 Fulmar and for some reason I have decided to chop the wings up and fold them :banghead: I have quite a few good reference shots but was wondering if anyone had any others. The area I am most interested in is the main wing fold hinges and also the locking mechanism. Would anyone have any close ups of this area or if anyone is going to the FAA museum can they get some shots of this area? I have the 4+ and Warpaint series as well as walkarounds here and on Prime Portal, but am just lacking clear detail of that area. Any help would be much appreciated. Hopefully the pics below will give you an idea of what I need. Pic credit to the Britmodeller walkaround :thanks:

Fulmar%20copy_zpsyl1m8tep.jpg

Fulmar%20copy%202_zpsq2he9cdj.jpg

Many thanks

Bob

Hmmm. These are the only pics of the Fulmar wings that I have been able to find. Not sure whether they help you, but you're welcome to them anyway!

164092655e945ab6ebe8d05bc796819a_zpszk0s

170b39e6a6cb8a41c4ed4d9070ca0ef1_zpslq3l

198824b1d6373a20c51cd7de5ae13d24_zpsh6ba

30f0f82e296ea6470885ca1287b0bb0d_zps1kkf

be8fa177499f52fbb1f5c365ad3d8b05_zps4ucw

• Like 1

Many thanks from me, too - those pics may prompt me to have another go at one of my Revell ex Vista kits, 22 years after the first one.

Have I dreamt that there were other pics in this thread yesterday ? :sleep_1::mental:

Thanks for the photos, Its not the area I was after but there is some nice detail on there that clarifies some of the other shots.

I have just noticed that the folded flap assembly has a big wedge cut out next to the fuselage (fot 1), I shall have to see how to replicate that. Why o why couldn't they devise a simple wing fold! Absolutely no thought for the poor model maker who has to try replicate it 60 years down the line humph!

Bob

• Like 1

You think you've got problems; a some stage I plan to do the same piece of surgery on a 1/48 Barracuda - the wing fold on the Barra makes the Fulmar look positively simple! (Actually, it's not a dissimilar set-up, but it also has to accommodate those enormous Barracuda Fairey-Youngman flaps).

I have a Fulmar in the stash, too, and no doubt I will want to fold it when the time comes, so any info you find will be useful!

Why o why couldn't they devise a simple wing fold! Absolutely no thought for the poor model maker who has to try replicate it 60 years down the line humph!

Bob,

Hate to break it to you, mate, but you need to check your watch. It's more like 80 years down the line (Fulmar first flight in 1937 so design must have happened prior to that)!

Tempus is certainly fugiting! :shrug:

Bob,

Hate to break it to you, mate, but you need to check your watch. It's more like 80 years down the line (Fulmar first flight in 1937 so design must have happened prior to that)!

Tempus is certainly fugiting! :shrug:

I stopped counting in 1996 when I got married! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

You're a wise man, my friend! In particular, don't count your better half's birthdays...in my experience, the spousal unit tends not to appreciate such well-intended reminders of the aging process!

Thanks Colin those are perfect, it shows the detail I am after!

Fulmar%20copy%203_zpshig5suhq.jpg

It looks like #1. would be the locking pin and #2. would fit into #3. Just wondering how that would work? A lever assembly to catch and pull the wing in? Not that I need that to build it up though just curious thoughts!

Excellent photos, thanks again!

Bob