RHAF aircraft profiles

corto

Hey guys,

Here are some RHAF aircraft profiles that I started creating the last couple of months. More and more photographs are becoming available these days that it's hard to resist depicting them as profiles and help modelers debate colors as well as build models! My wish is to create as many as possible so, I'll populate this thread accordingly. Feel free to comment and hopefully, come up with more concrete ideas re: color, camouflage patterns and insignias.

I'll start with Harvard TT.IIb - RHAF received these serial numbered aircraft after the war: KF908, 910, 933, 956, 957, 962, 963, 967 and 973.

Harvard TT.IIb KF908 crash-landed in unknown area. The tripod looking Mk2A towing hook is not visible but added it. Of interest is a protective cover(?) in front of tail wheel. Potentially, to protect it from the target and wire.

Ipllljch.jpg

Harvard TT.IIb KF973 Ioannina airfield, 1949. No towing gear visible but practice(?) bombs attached.

tR9Ccamh.jpg

Harvard TT.IIb KF963 Elefsina airfield, late '40s. The name "BETTY" is visible under the front cockpit area.

hsrEXs1h.jpg

Harvard TT.IIb KF9?? Larissa airfield, 1947. The serial number is not visible but aircraft has the Mk2A Towing hook. So, it's safe to assume that the serial starts with KF9.

pmQCqJXh.jpg

Harvard Mk.IIb FX413 Tripoli airfield, December 1948. RHAF received from the Noorduyn FX production batch these aircraft: FX201, 204, 235, 275, 413 and 421. FX413 is shown in 2 different photos and not certain if the first one depicts it in overall Trainer Yellow or silver. The second one does depict it in overall silver and has to be photographed at a later date as it's shown with darker and smaller Greek roundels.

nrQPik3h.jpg

Bk3KKGDh.jpg

Moving on to Spitfires now. My good friend, Kyriakos Papoulian made several magazine articles regarding photo reconnaissance Spitfires in RHAF service. I was intrigued to depict some as profiles.

Spitfire Mk.Vc JK234 Hasani airfield, late '44. According to 335 & 336 Sqn log books it was used in photo reconnaissance missions.

iAnkNwnh.jpg

Spitfire Mk.Vb EP613 - No photo exists of EP613 but it was also delivered at Hasani in late '44 and used in photo reconnaissance missions. I depicted it with an Aboukir filter as it had previously, served w/601 Sqn. There are photos of 601 Sqn Spits that were fitted with Aboukir filter so could be a possibility.

JWoGQqBh.jpg

Spitfire Mk.IXc MJ755 Shown with call sign F*H and without cameras yet. It was fitted later with vertical and oblique cameras according to log book entries.

515HQs8h.jpg

Spitfire Mk.IXc MJ333 Photo shows it without cameras but already painted overall with a single color. Maybe PRU Blue or some close equivalent from Greek paint stocks? There are log book entries for vertical and oblique photo missions.

WQZoT1gh.jpg

Spitfire PR.XI EN656 No photo exists of the only pure photo reconnaissance Spitfire that RHAF received on May 1947. I based the profile on Spitfire XI EN654 that found on the internet.

Vokgnvth.jpg

Spitfire Mk.XVI TB908 High Back Larissa airfield, 1949. Belonged to the 336 Sqn and was used for both vertical and oblique photo recon missions. Notice the rocket stubs under the wings.

NxbagiIh.jpg

Now for some regular Spitfires Mk.Vb and Mk.Vc

Spitfire Mk.Vc JK652 & JK226 Photographed in Hasani airfield in late '44 with several other Spitfires. JK652 in foreground and JK226 third in background had served w/32 Sqn and still have the hunting horn emblem visible under the windscreens. Roundels seem to have been touched up and call sign painted over. JK652 doesn't have the 2nd wing cannon cover. It's faired over.

aHptTlfh.jpg

lxsHv8rh.jpg

Spitfire Mk.Vc JK782 in silver finish is shown between the 2 previous aircraft. Modeled it a few years back: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal7/6001-6100/gal6091-Spitfire-Korellis/00.shtm

VHwQQCnh.jpg

Spitfire Mk.Vb JK327 Kozani Airfield, late'40s. Previously, a Mk.Vc must have been fitted with a "b" wing while in Greek service.

CA2zDEdh.jpg

Spitfire Mk.Vc EF566 Shown landing in Heraclion, Crete late '44. Included both possible schemes as discussed in previous thread.

U0bPU5Eh.jpg

6bQp4vxh.jpg

Now a couple of Airspeed Oxford Mk.I

Airspeed Oxford Mk.I EB794 Silver overall finish with Greek roundels.

rY3HvQRh.jpg

Airspeed Oxford Mk.I EB794? Could it be the same aircraft before painted silver? I do believe the serial starts with an "E" and ends with 4. Don't know if it's sun reflection on engine cowl and nose of aircraft or painted yellow. RAF markings do seem to be overpainted.

cMYVw3eh.jpg

That's all for now - hope you guys find them interesting :D

Cheers,

John

Edited by corto
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Well done for doing all this and I look forward to seeing the rest. Even though I don't think that there are very many Greek people on here there are a lot of us that enjoy building Greek aircraft. For me the holy grail are the aircraft used by Greece in 1940-41 as photos from this era are very rare.

Ps, I think the Iraklion Spitfire GNG is most likely in RAF desert camouflage with red codes.

I'm sure it's old news, but I have found this website to be very useful indeed. I would have to say I'm a bit wary of the recolourised pictures, but the original B&W's are priceless.

http://greek-war-equipment.blogspot.co.uk/

That is a good website I have used it myself. The owners of pictures seem a bit cagey about sharing them sometimes, which is a shame considering the historic value they hold.

• Like 1

Hiya John,

Some great info here and your side view artwork is fantastic so thanks very much for sharing this with us,.....I`ll PM you with an interesting Spitfire photo!

Cheers

Tony

Hey guys,

Here are some RHAF aircraft profiles that I started creating the last couple of months. More and more photographs are becoming available these days that it's hard to resist depicting them as profiles and help modelers debate colors as well as build models! My wish is to create as many as possible so, I'll populate this thread accordingly. Feel free to comment and hopefully, come up with more concrete ideas re: color, camouflage patterns and insignias.

I'll start with Harvard TT.IIb - RHAF received these serial numbered aircraft after the war: KF908, 910, 933, 956, 957, 962, 963, 967 and 973.

Harvard TT.IIb KF908 crash-landed in unknown area. The tripod looking Mk2A towing hook is not visible but added it. Of interest is a protective cover(?) in front of tail wheel. Potentially, to protect it from the target and wire. I purchased the photo from ebay.

Harvard%20TTIIb_KF908.jpgth_Harvard_TTIIb_crashedGreece.jpg

Harvard TT.IIb KF973 Ioannina airfield, 1949. No towing gear visible but practice(?) bombs attached. I purchased the photos from ebay.

Harvard%20TTIIb_KF973.jpgth_Harvard_TTIIb_Ioannina_1949_1.jpg th_Harvard_TTIIb_Ioannina_1949_2.jpg

Harvard TT.IIb KF963 Elefsina airfield, late '40s. The name "BETTY" is visible under the front cockpit area.

Cheers,

John

John

these are fascinating, thanks for sharing.

One comment/point, KF908, you show the port side in your profile, but the photo is of the starboard side.

The yellow/black striping looks like standard RAF Target Tow colours?

, if so the stripes on the starboard side would wrap over the fuselage to look like similar to ones on KF973?

I've just tried to find images to show what i mean, and I've seen both, so I maybe wrong, but the two other port side photos show what I would think is the arrangement, of the stripes wrapping over.

I think my copy of The Long Drag is buried, so not easy to check.

Do you have any thought on the Greek operated Hurricanes?

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234979025-hellenic-air-force-marked-hurricanes/

cheers

T

Hey guys, glad you like the profiles and hopefully they help for modeling inspiration. Old Thumper and Mitch K I do check that website often as new photos pop on now and then. Troy, I checked several online photos of Target Tow schemes (Canadian TT Venturas, Battles, etc.) and the Long Drag book. It does seem that the pattern followed the same direction for the stripes instead of doing a twizzler kinda wraparound, most of the times - so for KF908 I copied the starboard look for the port profile. Not all striped patterns followed the same exact angle though as KF973 and 908 show.

As far as Hurricanes go they are next for profile creation. The latest notion among Greek modelers and researchers is that the 335 & 336 Sqn Hurries had British roundels. The Greek colors were only shown on spinners and emblems like small flags. Occasionally, for official presentations or press services they would paint the blue roundels or a Greek call sign like the "Sigma" one. That's the latest info...

Cheers!

• Like 1

Looking forward to the Hurricane`s! I`ve also followed your link and had a look at your model of Spitfire Mk.Vc JK782 in its silver scheme and it is a real cracker,......so well done on that one too!

Cheers

Tony

it would be nice to have more decals options with these than the Tigerhead one, all small and rather dark blue. The light blue cocardes are really eye catching.

• 2 weeks later...

Got more info and a better photo on this Spitfire Mk.IXc so was able to make a profile. The name is "Κουρσάρος" meaning Corsair and the art under windscreen is a mosquito. Serial number not visible so we're still searching :)

qnQM8F0h.jpg

Edited by corto
  • Like 3

Hey guys,

Here are a few more Spitfire profiles based on photos and research.

Spitfire Mk.IX EN286. Went through a lot of users! Polish Fighting Team, Feb '43, North Africa attached to RAF 145 Sqn. Then SAAF 1 Sqn, Malta, Aug '43. Finally, RHAF, 1947 and early '50s.

4028u9ih.jpg

WZ2jypth.jpg

31owUAYh.jpg

0Yvv01sh.jpg

Some Spitfire Mk.IXc/e based on late '40s news reels from Greek civil war.

4oSEPUnh.jpg

Q7aRDnDh.jpg

Ng3dtq5h.jpg

Finally, a colorful Spitfire Vc, RHAF, late '40s. Started life as a Vb then modified with a C wing. Could the small C over the serial number denote the wing mod? Vokes filter and tail colors are best guess from B&W photo. The values are very similar to the blue roundel whereas the spinner is lighter.

qQ16eSrh.jpg

Edited by corto
  • Like 2

Superb, some really nice Spits there John to add to your expanding collection of excellent side views. The life story of EN286 is very good and EP694 is especially interesting,

Cheers

Tony.

My wife is of Greek ethnicity, so whenever I can't do an Aussie version I opt for Greek if it's possible. Get's me bonus points.

Kudos to you for taking on this project - you're doing some very impressive work.

Very nice profiles. Any leads on the best (preferably Airfix) kit in 1272 to represent Z4047? Also, any clue as to what the upper wing roundels would've looked like?

Hi guys,

Here's the pic Z4047 is based on - also, accounts from veterans and other researchers. I do believe another photo exists but don't have it. Z4047 belonged to the initial Hurricane Mk.I batch that 335 Sqn manned. You can spot the fin flash and underwing roundel color difference. We suspect that the fuselage one was overpainted too with light blue Greek colors. The top wing roundels remained standard British. 335 and 336 Sqn vets have always said that they got to overpaint roundels and Greek themed nose art any chance they got.

I'd use any metal wing Mk.I Hurricane that's available as long as it has a trop filter - personally, I'll use the brand spanking new 1/48 Airfix :D (finally, arrived state side...)

TMGnaVxh.jpg

Working on some Mk.IIb and IIc profiles as well so stay tuned...

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Been working on some more profiles as pictures and info have been flooding my inbox :)

I've added the right side of KF908 (left is at the top of the thread):

vrUyJLlh.jpg

Another Harvard TT.IIb was found on a Greek civil war newsreel. KF933 or 939 is shown being armed with bombs before a tac recce mission. These Harvards were fitted with RAF Mk2A Light Series Bomb Racks under each wing that could carry 4x20lb/9kg bombs. Obviously, they didn't bother repainting the TT scheme for these operations!

CRlIcith.jpg

Some ideas now for the brand new Spitfire XVI from Eduard!

RHAF started receiving bubble and teardrop XVIs around '49. They were able to carry either bombs, napalm or rockets. SL608 has big fuselage roundels, probably, blue spinner and shows paint chipping on front area of top engine cover.

27EY1Jmh.jpg

SL717 is shown freshly painted with the first aid kit stencil visible under serial number.

jiX4LMLh.jpg

SL728 shows a possible dark blue underside paint that a few RHAF XVI carried. By '49 British paint stocks were running low so a variety of locally sourced paints were used. Another interesting addition is a metal plate cover over the fuel tank and part of the engine cover. Any ideas of its purpose?

KdCX7LCh.jpg

TE447 with black spinner and smaller fuselage roundel.

nqYV9Ibh.jpg

TD320 has some interesting paint patches of various shades and also shows a bit of the previous owners' identity, 401 Sqn. The code was "YO" and we can see part of the "Y" still visible. The dark blue underside paint is also present on this one.

UGBgj0Wh.jpg

Later in its career TD320 was repainted in a non standard pattern and used for pilot training. White band and number on rudder were typical of training aircraft by early '50s. Smaller roundels with darker blue paint were also introduced at the time.

FO3EUIUh.jpg

Stay tuned for more - cheers!

• Like 2

Excellent as ever John,

And like you say a good idea for the new Eduard kit too!

Are you going to be doing the really interesting Mk.XVI bubble top with the high back sliding canopy fitted?

Great stuff and I know a few people who have been really inspired by your Harvard TT.IIb drawings,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot