Hurricane codes

F7F3p

Having searched here without much luck can someone help me please , i am trying to find out the size of the codes for a 1\48 th scale Hurricane of no 6 sqn . I have the Hasegawa MKIID firstly i think the codes should be white not grey so need to replace them with i think 30 inch codes is this correct ?

Thanks Simon

It rather depends on where and when you're modelling them: size and colour changed over time.

If it's in the Western desert with Hurricane IIs, grey "JV" with a red individual letter is one option. One of the BBMF Hurricanes wore 6 Sqn desert colours in recent years.

If in Italy/Yugoslavia with Balkan Air Force on Hurricane IVs, then no squadron code and the individual letter in grey.

It's notable that there was some significant variation amongst the RAF squadrons in the Balkan Air Force. For example, in 281 Wing (6, 73, 253 Sqns RAF plus 351 & 352 Yugoslav) 253 Sqn used white codes on Spit VIIIs & IXs, having earlier used red "SW" and white individual letters on Spit Vs for a time; spare "wing" aircraft carried a single white letter. 73 Sqn used their heraldic flash with a white a/c letter.

Post-war, as the last RAF Hurricane squadron, 6 Sqn's aircraft were silver-doped with black codes.

Edited by KevinK