Revell 1/48 RAF Tornado - Landing Oct 2015

stalal

This Tornado release will be GR4. What do we need to back date it to GR1?

Basically just leave off the FLIR pod, and make sure you have both canon for a GR1, or none for a GR1A. Use the kit's original upper fuselage. There were different layouts in the cockpit, but I expect the kits parts are quite generic here.

• Like 1

Basically just leave off the FLIR pod, and make sure you have both canon for a GR1, or none for a GR1A. Use the kit's original upper fuselage. There were different layouts in the cockpit, but I expect the kits parts are quite generic here.

The cockpit is a MLU/ECR IDS layout, very similar to the GR4 with the square display replacing the the round "moving map" of the GR1. The Eduard cockpit set has the early layout.

Just picked up one from my plastic pusher of choice here in Germany, and no part 173 either. The rot has spread!

So, things under wings but nothing for the fuselage stations? Poor show, Revell. The IDS kit got a recce pod at least. Perhaps we will be surprised by 1/48th ordinance galore after the Nuremberg show next year, but I won't hold my breath.

Hasegawa aircraft weapons set D is your friend here.

Personally I prefer kits to have fewer decal options and weapons if it keeps them as cheap as the Revell Tornadoes are!

Hasegawa aircraft weapons set D is your friend here.

How so? If you're building a Gr4 you will require British weapons, the Hasegawa sets are all US specific.

How so? If you're building a Gr4 you will require British weapons, the Hasegawa sets are all US specific.

GBU 24 Paveway III were carried by GR.1's and GR.4's and are included in the set.

I think the GBU 12 Paveway II was cleared on the Tornado too.

Edited by At Sea

The GBU-24 and British Paveway III are different weapons as far as I am led to believe, they have different tail units. Albeit they look very similar, you would probably get away with using the GBU-24's.

The Paveway IV is cleared on the Gr4 and the main weapon of choice at the moment along with Brimstone, there are differences again between the Paveway IV and the GBU-12. It all depends on how accurate you want to be. L'Arsenal produce nice resin Paveway IV.

http://www.larsenal.com/PBSCCatalog.asp

The GBU-24 and British Paveway III are different weapons as far as I am led to believe, they have different tail units. Albeit they look very similar, you would probably get away with using the GBU-24's.

The Paveway IV is cleared on the Gr4 and the main weapon of choice at the moment along with Brimstone, there are differences again between the Paveway IV and the GBU-12. It all depends on how accurate you want to be. L'Arsenal produce nice resin Paveway IV.

http://www.larsenal.com/PBSCCatalog.asp

^^^^ Interesting, it is so easy to overlook the fact that Ordanance are models in themselves.

I think at my level a couple of nice fat GBU-24's tucked under a green & grey Tornado will look the part sufficiently. :-)

I fully understand that others may wish for greater accuracy though.

Hasegawa set C has some Mavericks (AGM-65) which I have seen listed as Tornado cleared but never seen a picture of. Is this another 'nearly accurate' option?

• 2 weeks later...

The cockpit is a MLU/ECR IDS layout, very similar to the GR4 with the square display replacing the the round "moving map" of the GR1. The Eduard cockpit set has the early layout.

How accurate is the kit's cockpit for either the GR1 or GR4? Nav's consuls look way under sized. Is the NeoMega set any better in this respect for a GR1?

• Like 1

How accurate is the kit's cockpit for either the GR1 or GR4? Nav's consuls look way under sized. Is the NeoMega set any better in this respect for a GR1?

Get the CMK set designed for this kit, its very nice for early cockpit arrangement.

• Like 1

JUST received my CMK replacement wheel wells sets - Outstanding refinement and at first blush appears to be a drop-in replacement. Includes gear doors and retracting struts among a other tiny bits. Easily quashes the kit parts in detail and relieves one from filling those horribly placed ejection marks. Getcha one!

• Like 1

JUST received my CMK replacement wheel wells sets - Outstanding refinement and at first blush appears to be a drop-in replacement. Includes gear doors and retracting struts among a other tiny bits. Easily quashes the kit parts in detail and relieves one from filling those horribly placed ejection marks. Getcha one!

Careful with the test fitting,

I had to shave down the back of the undercarriage locating tab (on the fuselage side) with a razor saw, making it almost see through to fit, I pumped a load of superglue in behind which now it is dry is probably the strongest bit of the kit! Lol

Having said that the CMK wells are great, and don't need the back side dressing as there is plenty of space inside the Tornado.