Italeri ATR-42 first look

I didn't see Eurowings on the Nazca site. Have they removed it?

It's definitely there. On the home page click on "Decals" then scroll down below the various LTU aircraft and it's listed below Contact Air. I really wish Gaston would tidy up his website - the list claims to be alphabetical but in the alphabet I'm familiar with "E" comes before "L" !

Edited by Skodadriver
  • Like 1

To be honest I am very disappointed with this release as I do like the ATR and when Italeri announced the kit I was waiting with the money in my hand to get it. Hopefully I didn't !! With today's standards this kit reminds me 70's - 80's Era moulds. I'm guessing that they might rebox the Legato kit but I can't find any sprue photos to compare it.

In general I was expecting a new tooling ATR and this release showing its vintage style footprints !

Still in the wait for a decent kit :weep:

Edited by Jim Sotiropoulos

Well, I still like it.

Can anyone who actually has the kit tell me what the unused part #6 (x 2) would be for? I thought maybe a provision for a 72, but I haven't found anything like them in photos.

Well, I still like it.

Can anyone who actually has the kit tell me what the unused part #6 (x 2) would be for? I thought maybe a provision for a 72, but I haven't found anything like them in photos.

Please, do you have a picture?

I suspect they could be the oil coolers that go under the engines for the version -200/300... but then you would need a different propeller too....

I just checked photos of some -200/300s and you're spot on. Thanks! I didn't think to look at older models, I was more focused on hoping there was provision for a -72 (there's room on the wing and fuselage sprues for longer ones). The prop sprues look like they could be changed also.

Think I read somehere that the F-rsin kits can be made as 200/300/500 & 600 series aircraft.

Paul Harrison

Think I read somehere that the F-rsin kits can be made as 200/300/500 & 600 series aircraft.

Paul Harrison

My F-RSIN kit does include parts that I think are supposed to be the -200/300 oil cooler parts, but they are little more than just oblong pieces of plastic.

So, I unpacked my two examples an hour or so ago. They came for 18 Euros apiece (plus some 1,50 Euros P&P each, if I were to divide the 6 Euros I paid to have four kits delivered from Hobbyland in Bulgaria).

I am still happy with the purchase and remain rather optimistic as to how the plastic will go together. Here are some nice touches I [think I] found in the box:

- nice reproduction of the tail cone detail that will even be covered, just like on the real thing, by a bubble piece to be found on the clear sprue :thumbsup2:

18022965733_a5450ded7b_c.jpg

- tiny drilled-out exhaust pipes :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

18645873181_22c8b20311_c.jpg

- lovely decal sheet by Cartograf with aluminum details, etc. :worthy:

18457450659_225224e79d_c.jpg

Man, all those details are sooooo small, one has got to see them for himself/ herself to really appreciate the proportions... :cyclops::)

Edited by niki
  • Like 1

^ at last! someone else who likes it! I've left out those drilled-out exhausts as they'll be difficult to paint. I'll slide in some plastic or brass tubing instead.

And I didn't use the prop shaft parts as I thought it would be difficult to avoid getting glue on them when joining the nacelle halves. I used plastic rod with a friction fit.

Btw, those two oil cooler parts I referred to earlier are the ones to the right of your second picture (the faces shown go against the nacelle).

The only fit 'issue' (I hesitate to call it even that) is that there are some narrow gaps on the underside of the wing/fuselage join. I little bit of filler is all it needs.

I've ordered some more.

Edited by buzz

Btw, those two oil cooler parts I referred to earlier are the ones to the right of your second picture (the faces shown go against the nacelle).

It seems there are some instances when they can be encountered even on scimitar-equipped machines:

1302.jpg

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/1302/mm62166-italy-guardia-di-finanza-atr-42-400mp-surveyor/

But I have no idea about engine/ propeller-type combinations on these airplanes... :locked:

• 2 weeks later...

Just got mine from Hannants. What's all the bellyaching about? IHMO it is a nice kit. I was almost scared off by all the complaints but went ahead anyway because Sprue pics seemed to show a much better propeller than the F-Resin kit. I'm not sure I could get the F-Resin one off the sprue and cleaned up in one piece. Now having the kit I'll be using the whole thing, not just the prop. Some one compared the ATR-42 to the Revell Fokker 100, is that such a bad thing? I'm left wondering just what 1/144 kits people think are so superior and more 21st Century. Aside from the last three Zvezda offerings (A-320, Il-62, and the Sukhoi) I can't think of any. Can you?

Thank goodness, somebody else likes it!

I did make a comment about the diameter of the fuselage, saying that it was a bit bigger than the F-RSIN kit and that the F-RSIN kit seemed more correct from the few measurements I could find on line. That said, I do think that the Italeri kit fuselage diameter 'looks' more correct.

Edited by buzz

Just got mine from Hannants. What's all the bellyaching about? IHMO it is a nice kit. I was almost scared off by all the complaints but went ahead anyway because Sprue pics seemed to show a much better propeller than the F-Resin kit. I'm not sure I could get the F-Resin one off the sprue and cleaned up in one piece. Now having the kit I'll be using the whole thing, not just the prop. Some one compared the ATR-42 to the Revell Fokker 100, is that such a bad thing? I'm left wondering just what 1/144 kits people think are so superior and more 21st Century. Aside from the last three Zvezda offerings (A-320, Il-62, and the Sukhoi) I can't think of any. Can you?

You are perfectly free to spend your money on whatever you like. This is a discussion forum and we like to discuss things. Whether you agree with our musings or not is up to you but to dismiss other people's comments as "bellyaching" is rather rude and disrespectful.

My own major reservation about the kit is its price. Is it really worth £22.50 when you can get the F-RSIN ATR-42 for around £13, the Revell A319 for £13.50 or the Zvezda B787 for £19.99 all of which are "21st century" kits?

As I've said, anyone is free to spend their money as they wish but for a small model like the ATR-42 £22.50 is starting to get into premium territory and the Italeri ATR-42 certainly isn't a premium quality kit. It puts me in mind of the Hasegawa E170 - a basic, reasonably accurate kit which is probably worth about half the UK retail price.

Edited by Skodadriver