Awful model kits to avoid unless you have zero choice !

kolibri282

Hi,

Just how many of you out there steer well clear

of certain model makes because they are so

terrible in every way. Airfix and Mach 2 are pretty

dreadful, but there has to be a lot more out there.

Airfix need to do something about the molds they

use or stop producing rubbish. I've had two Mach 2

kits and they were appalling. Resin kit wise

Unicraft.

Edited by kolibri282

Sometimes it's the only game in town, and half the fun is the challenge to take a pigs ear and turn it into a silk purse.

I've seen it done on this forum several times.Horses for courses.

• Like 6

It depends what you don't like about kits in my view.

Short run kits are my pet hate because of the following.

1) Price.

2) Badly fitting parts.

3) Poor instructions.

4) Flat photo etch for tubular parts.

5) Inaccuracies.

I just want a kit at a reasonable price that I can get on and build without having to mess about with fitting problems at every stage, or having to dig about for pictures and drawings because of poor instructions. I only buy short run kits if there is a particular type of aircraft that I want that isn't available from any other manufacturer, or if I am desperate for the decals. I just don't enjoy the problems you get with these kits and would sooner for example buy an old Airfix or Frog kit as a shell and then re-scribe and add my own small parts to it.

• Like 1

I avoid buying any kit of any subject where a more accurate kit of the same version is available. OK, I did buy the re-release of the Airfix Il2 in order to get the transfer sheet, but rapidly sold the kit on. I try to avoid buying kits that I know would mean a lot of work, but some subjects I can't resist. Halifax, to name one.

Those manufacturers producing kits with appallingly poor fit rarely produce accurate shapes anyway, so rule themselves out except for the truly unique: in Mach 2 case I have the Amiot 350, in Unicraft the MiG 7. The Amiot will make a reasonable kit, wincing a bit at the canopy, but the Unicraft is irredeemably awful. I go back to it once a year to pick at it, surely I can do something with it, it's now better than it was, but it is still awful.

A troll is anyone who starts/comes into a thread with the intention of creating more heat than light. As I see it, an internet bully will certainly do that, but goes beyond the merely nuisance level.

Depends on the kit. I certainly wouldn't call Airfix rubbish, I recently built their 1/72 DH Mosquito and was quite happy with it (any problems I encountered were down to my lack of skill, not the kit being at fault) and I'd buy one again if I couldn't afford the Tamiya version. Yes it's old, yes it's cockpit has no detail to speak of, but you know it's old, and actually that's not a problem with that kit, and lack of a detailed cockpit is not a concern for me as no-one ever sees into the cockpit of my models as they hang on my ceiling. And Airfix new tools seem quite good from what I've seen of the box contents of the 3 I've had (1 of which I still have), although I've nothing to compare them to personally.

On the other hand I'd level the term rubbish at Revell and their 1/48 UH-1 kit. However, it's only one of two in town that gives you a 1/48 scale short body Huey. The other being the Hobby Boss kit but that's a very basic kit. Frankly Revell should retire their 1/48 UH-1 or re-tool it. Having said that however if I were to want to build another short body Huey I'd buy the Revell kit again, it's cheap and the Hobby Boss one from what I've seen and read is not actually that much better in terms of detail/accuracy, and it's unarmed.

Such circumstance as the 1/48 short body Huey (or lack of) seem to be quite common, i.e. where there's only 1 or 2 kits out there and they're older tools - for example there's only 1 kit (with a few variations) for a 1/48 Heinkell He-111, this time by Monogram/Revell.

Edited by Raven Morpheus

Hi

Lots of people springing to the defence of Airfix so I'll leap to defend Mach 2. I just managed to get hold of the Mach 2 1/48 Thor missile. There's only 8 bits and they probably dont fit too well but its a much better proposition than scratch building.

Its all about having a starting point and as I doubt anyone else will ever make one I'll raise a cheer to Mach 2.

Thanks Lads, or Bravo Monseur (as they're French).

Colin W.

• Like 4

Isn't it a bit unkind to accuse somebody of being a troll because they post something negative about Airfix? I thought internet trolls were online bullies who stalk individuals?

I could be wrong.

The mass media definition of troll is a bully or harasser, normally via social media; but that is not its original online definition, which originated in the predecessors to web fora, newsgroups. E.g. read a few definitions at urban dictionary: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll

• Like 3

Just how many of you out there steer well clear of certain model makes because they are so terrible in every way.

I tend to steer well clear of "modellers" who make sweeping generalisations on a subject about which they obviously know nothing, but just want to stir up trouble.

• Like 18

I tend to steer well clear of "modellers" who make sweeping generalisations on a subject about which they obviously know nothing, but just want to stir up trouble.

Well said Edgar could not agree more

• Like 1

Gentlemen

IMHO one of the problems of 'social media' is that it allows people to post their views without considering the feelings of others. Sometimes this can be attributed to quickly posted and poorly thought out language, but sometimes it may be 'lack of nurture' - my old Mum, bless her, continually told me "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything". But even with that, it's sometimes difficult to predict the reactions of people in a 'one way' conversation and I've had to apologise more than once for a post that's caused unintended upset.

If this thread is a troll then shame on you kolibri282. If not then please re-read your posts and think what reaction you're trying / hoping to elicit. There are plenty of ways, IMHO (there's one) that you can use to clarify your post and make sure people understand your intentions :) (and there's another).

• Like 5

I've built some absolute shockers in my time. If there's no other choice for a given subject in a preferred scale, then you'd better sharpen your craft knife and stock up on putty, cos the fight is ON!

Just how many of you out there steer well clear of certain model makes because they are so terrible in every way.

I bet you've got an iPhone and wear Hollister as well.

• Like 2

Every manufacturer has some poor kits in their inventory. Admittedly some have more than others but that is what the wonder of the internet modelling fora and magazines are for. Do your research :book: and then you have no excuse to complain about the quality of a kit you've bought ;) . Quite often these 'rubbish' kits as you call them are the result of an enthusiast putting their money where their mouth is and creating a kit of a subject that is dear to their hearts, so have a care before you start slinging the epithets around.

I might be a bit strange but I actually prefer a kit that needs more work than the 'shake the box and a model pops out' type. But that is because modelling enjoyment to me is the building rather than the finished product and an older kit with missing details and/or iffy fit means I get to exercise my modelling muscles.

Regards

Tom

• Like 7

I'm not a troll believe me! I'm asking a question that was all. If I personally had a choice between certain kits. I wouldn't be keen to build any more Mach 2 kits or Airfix. I admit I have a BV141 in my stash by Airfix, but if for instance I had a choice between the Revell He177 or the Airfix kit I would go for the Revell kit. For years we had to do with Hasagawa's german half tracks then for a short while Revell produced the much superior Sdkfz 7 and the equally impressive 8mm flak gun.

I guess the criteria I mean is quality of molds, ease of construction, realism. Price as well.

Airfix was ok years ago when there was really no alternative, but now we have a bit more of a choice. Revell have really upped there quality from years ago in many kits( not all because they still repackage some older kits from other sources) . Dragon and Trumpeter are way ahead as are Hasagawa. A lot of the Eastern European firms are becoming a good choice now(even if some are mainly resin photo etch). It will always be the case that you'll have to take what you can if you want to build certain models. I still have PM kits and their like because they are the only kit makers that produce certain kits.

I'm just interested to know what people think of certain kits. No trolling seriously. Kit manufacturers have improved their models so much since the 80's and 90's which left some kits behind in overall quality. Compare the Condor version of the FW 189 and the Airfix model or Hasagawa's FW TA 154 and Pioneer kit that Revell repackaged not so long ago. Dragon's He 219 left Frog's version in the dust. What do people think of the long retired Huma kits? Not only were they of some pretty unusual subjects, but for short run kits they were pretty good quality to my mind. Any one who has built the FA 223 Drache will know it was a beautifully designed kit. The Flettner 282 Kolibri was never that great, but in 1/72 scale it was and still is unique( I believe RS Models were repackaging the Huma kit with photo etch upgrade not so long ago) I did build their Gottingen Go9 which is a really basic kit( no longer available) One brief glance at the Revell Ju88 cockpit interior will show you how far 1/72 scale molds have got. Special Armour from Eastern Europe have produced a lovely model of the Meilerwagen, to my knowledge it' s the first injection molded 1/72 scale Meilerwagen, the quality is excellent.

Using computer CGI and laser cut molds has changed everything for modelers, detail we could never imagine is easily attainable now.

I don't think the Airfix 1/72 scale tiger. 1 stands up to well against the Revell kit or Dragon for instance. Just some thoughts open to discussion.

Edited by kolibri282
  • Like 3

I am somewhat wary of bashing particular kits or manufacturers, although I admit that there do seem to be known issues with a number of products. However, I never under-estimate my own ability to turn a good, well-made, decently-fitting kit into a mess of filler and bodge! :owww::confused:

• Like 4

It's ridiculous to avoid manufacturers. Airfix's He 177 predates Revell's by three decades. However, Revell's catalogue has kits in it that date from the 60s, or which first saw light of day from Matchbox in the 80s. There are enough resources on the internet these days to look at how all the available kits of a specific aircraft you want to model stack up, and decide which one provides the right balance of quality, detail, fit, availability and price for you...

Even Tamiya has older and newer kits in their catalogue so there's no one manufacturer who ALWAYS gets it right (even if all your interests were covered by the 100 or so 1/48 aircraft that Tamiya has released...)

So it's a pretty pointless question, TBH...

bestest,

M.

• Like 4