Hurricane Mk1 Serial Unknown, 85 Squadron, France, May 1940

No photos tonight but a wee bit of time cleaning up and it looks better, although I feel it's fighting me all the way. Undercarriage legs on, probably too soon but they're not a very positive fit and I want them to set well over night. I bought replacement early wheels, from AML via the big H, but the set I have isn't handed, so I've had to gouge out the rear of one for it to sit right. Also the vinyl masks for the wheel centres were useless (or I used them uselessly, take your pick) and I could (and will) do a neater job freehand.

Desperate to get a clear coat and some decals on so it starts to come alive. Also have the joy of canopy framing to come!

• Like 2

... Desperate to get a clear coat and some decals on so it starts to come alive. Also have the joy of canopy framing to come!

Walk Jon, don't run, I understand the temptation and I know that feeling well, but usually it does not end well... :owww:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

It's ok, Obi Wan Dapple, I have adopted my usual tortoise like approach!

A quick inspection this morning shows the wheel struts have set well, so it's the rest of the undercarriage gubbins tonight, and a gloss coat which can harden overnight ready for transfers and then some weathering, I want to fade it to represent something that's had a long few months in the French outdoors.

Particularly as the Tamiya colours are a little on the dark side, so some gouache fading will be in order.

• Like 5

That cracked me up.

Stick with it jon... I now have three for the GB, if its giving you trouble I'm F..... Lipping well in trouble.

I've just been attacked by swallows! Its my flipping garden... The bush is theirs and the garden is mine! I will wait till they are asleep and jump them see how the like being dive bombed!!

Any way good luck with the gloss cote.

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 2

Obi Wan Dapple, nice one, just need YodaStix to turn up.......

The Hurricane is looking really neat, lovely paintwork,

Sean

• Like 1

Quick coat of gloss now drying. Has worked its magic of evening out the other finishes, details and transfers tomorrow or Sunday I hope. Could we see a RFI before the weekend is out? Probably not...

• Like 1

Ok, so today was fiddly bits and so progress has been in fits and starts.

The coloured spinner gives a very different look to the airframe. And from this angle a Hurricane always looks pugnacious.

18530835115_45e9960de8_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

No real weathering as yet but you can just see where the Erk's boots have worn and scuffed the panel behind the gun cover when rearming.

17908105404_e437896d77_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Pull out step and handhold. The meniscus on the rear of the handhold has been severely dealt with! (It was invisible in real-life, a boon and a curse of digital photography.)

17909696023_b5b07c9093_c.jpgProgress by jongwinnett, on Flickr

18530432605_b2da97fdd7_c.jpgProgress by jongwinnett, on Flickr

The transfers, canopy, pitot and exhausts still to do. I have some sets of the SBS resin exhausts but decided to drill out the kit items , saving the resin for the three BoB planes in the stash (plus the fact they came in three parts scared me!)

18530848055_561aed8788_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 7

Finally, a question for the Hawker cognoscenti. The early Hurricane has a ring and bead type sight, with a sighting post on the engine cover. This aircraft probably still had one up until the fall of France, but I can't work out where to drill the 'ole to fit the sighting post. Any suggestions?

Looking good Jon - I like that Erk scuffing and that step - wow! Great stuff :D

I did try to find out why 'Erks' are called that but without luck. I did find an interesting page on ground crew that says 'The unofficial motto of these ground crews was "Ubendum Wemendum".' :)

• Like 4

Hi Jon, the 'post' part of the gunsight was central (duh) and in the join between the two parts of the upper cowling panel, if you see where I mean?

The Hurricane is looking beautiful, plus extra points for 'meniscus', not only a wonderfully precise word but also the title of an early Cocteau Twins track :D

Ced, is it because they labour like 'Erkules?

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

Isn't it.

Fully decorated its quite a colourful beast. (Setting solutions still at work when photos taken, so ignore wrinkles!)

18367316748_afde2ae9c1_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

18555114165_a72bf2f60a_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

18367430970_22e21e817d_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

The exhausts got my usual Revell steel, with anthracite wash, and burnished on Humbrol dark earth powder.

18367421410_6420cc77fe_c.jpgExhausts by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Unusually for modern Airfix, I got a little silvering with the decals, I think its mostly disappeared under the final gloss coat but I'll need to double check.

Canopy masked and interior green undercoat drying, wing lights silvered on the rear ready to be applied.

• Like 9

^ What he said B)

Jon I've been thinking about the post for the ring and bead gunsight; I can't help but feel whatever you fabricate it out of it will be either noticeably out of scale or so fragile as to be damaged merely by looking at it... have you a cunning plan?

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Excellent job, she's a beauty Jon B)

Is it my ever-increasingly-defective eyesight or does the further erk in your last picture bear a strong resemblance to the late Pete Postlethwaite? :shocked:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

She is rather beautiful jon, you have made me want to buy a 4th just to build OOB.

I have to say your little details really make your builds, you also have a tipping point where it all suddenly comes together, on most of your builds what is good to see I'm not alone! (I am still waiting for that point with my spitfire)

Love that last PIC made me chuckle.

Rob

• Like 1

What do we think about the sighting post? It is over scale, I imagine, but is the same florists wire as the step and the radiator stays. I used an over length piece as it runs right to the bottom of the fuselage, hopefully giving it some solidity.

Hi Jon. Well it's almost all over and I'm only just catching up. (I've been spending too much time recently trying to finish building AFVs and Spitfires and not spent enough time looking around BM! A poor excuse I know but I'll hopefully be able to catch up with everyone's build threads over the next few weeks.)

Anyway back to your rather excellent Hurricane. You have done an amazing job! It looks far larger than 1/72 (I had to check!) and your attention to detail is amazing. I have bookmarked this thread for when I eventually get around to making a 1/72 Hurricane.

Well done!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I think scale for post is OK, but your right in that it looks too tall... That said it adds greatly to the build and well done for doing it as it looks a tricky little piece

Rob

• Like 1