Hurricane Mk1 Serial Unknown, 85 Squadron, France, May 1940

Now that's just showing off!

The joy of acrylics, I presume? :lol:

We've got the sun at the moment too; a lovely old lady in the park promised me three days of rain after this though...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

if she's anything like my Scottish mother in law, she'll have the knowledge (sadly in this case). Yes the joys of acrylics, Tamiya rattlecans in this instance, white primer, NATO black and then RAF Dark Earth (Possibly a little too brown, but not bad).

Unmasked and in the airing cupboard to harden before the green (which I'll probably brush on freehand, although I did buy some masks for it.) Some tidying up of edges is required.

18265908975_f59fccf70b_c.jpgUnmasked as soon as decent by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Rest of today is 06/24 minor's birthday party with pals, adventure golf and nosh-up, then his and his Mum's hockey club presentation night, and then his big 11th birthday tomorrow. How did he grow up so fast!

• Like 3

I've long been of the opinion 11 is the best age -- not that I enjoyed it, mind you, 11 was hell, but I think it was the age at which I was most enjoyable for adults. It's been a long road downhill since.

• Like 2

Looking good Jon! That black and white is gorgeous...

Stew your episode with 'an old lady' in the park sounds like something out of 'the Scottish play' - did she have a couple of friends nearby?

PC, an old guru of mine has five children (he believes we should outbreed the less intellectual classes) and, when asked what the best age was for children, just said 'younger'.

Jon I hope the party goes well and enjoy the party and dinner - sounds like a nice family day :)

• Like 5

Well that dratted seam on the engine cover is proving to be a blighter (not my first choice of word) to fix. Filled, sanded, polished, absolutely invisible and cannot be felt by the finger nail test, repainted, blast it it's still visible!

I shall leave the paint to harden overnight and reassess in the morning, it might, might, just vanish with the clear and Matt coats and the dark green camouflage. Fingers crossed.

Aftermarket wheels (early five spoke) primed as well ready for paint. Oh and I think I've lost the tiny footstep so will have to scratch build another. I think if the footstep is extended, the handhold cover should be open, so a wee hole may appear in the fuselage side.

On a more positive note Mrs 06/24 won "most improved player" from her hockey XI tonight!

• Like 1

Raw unthinned oils may help with the facial features of your figures if you are struggling to get washes to take.....You could try adding a dot of a darker 'shadow' flesh colour to each eye socket, around the ears and so on, then use a fine brush very slightly moistened in thinners to blend it in. Then do the same with dots of a lighter 'highlight' mix on the forehead, tip of the nose, chin, cheekbones etc. Tiny dots are all you need, a little bit goes a long way with oils. If you give the figures a good coat of Klear first, you can easily clean up any major mistakes with thinners. :shrug:

Imam_zps1c881c1e.jpg

Painting the eyebrows or other facial hair can add some character to a figure too. :winkgrin:

• Like 3

Raw unthinned oils may help with the facial features of your figures if you are struggling to get washes to take.....You could try adding a dot of a darker 'shadow' flesh colour to each eye socket, around the ears and so on, then use a fine brush very slightly moistened in thinners to blend it in. Then do the same with dots of a lighter 'highlight' mix on the forehead, tip of the nose, chin, cheekbones etc. Tiny dots are all you need, a little bit goes a long way with oils. If you give the figures a good coat of Klear first, you can easily clean up any major mistakes with thinners. :shrug:

Imam_zps1c881c1e.jpg

Painting the eyebrows or other facial hair can add some character to a figure too. :winkgrin:

I tried very, very, hard and repeatedly to get the eyebrows in, but failed miserably. I shall try to do better next time, honest. I'll give the oils a go, although I might try gouache first, since I have some already.

So by way of experiment I painted the contrasting camouflage colour using AML masks.

18434310601_630f66ba37_c.jpgAML masks by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Would I bother again? I don't think so. The process wasn't aided by the fact I was using Tamiya paint, which didn't brush on particularly well.

17809952114_5c9fb5f3ff_c.jpgUnmasked by jongwinnett, on Flickr

18246415059_b6308fab0e_c.jpgUnmasked by jongwinnett, on Flickr

I ended up painting over the unmasked green, not sure if I like it or no, but it'll do once its dry and I tidy up where the green crept under the masks.

• Like 6

Hey Jon :)

I think those vinyl camouflage masks are designed to be used with an airbrush, I don't know if it mentions it on the instructions but I am sure I read that somewhere...

I've always found them pretty good at reproducing the pattern and certainly they save time, but lately I seem to have given up on them as I can reproduce the patterns reasonably well by brush-painting and... well making models is my hobby, it's supposed to take up my time :lol:

I'm guessing that is the fixed engine-cowling seam, as it looks fine to me? That is my number one trouble spot for filling and sanding too, every single model I make seems to need as much attention there as the rest of the fuselage join put together...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

I expect the masks are intended for airbrushing but it was an interesting experiment. I decided the seam was as good as I was going to get, it's still faintly visible in the photographs but less so in real life. It is a bug bear of mine, as I mentioned in my Spitfire thread why not mould the engine and tank cover as a separate piece that fits along the real life joint lines, the Lego-style quick build for kids does this, eliminating the most visible seam on the model?

• Like 3

...why not mould the engine and tank cover as a separate piece that fits along the real life joint lines, the Lego-style quick build for kids does this, eliminating the most visible seam on the model?

The same thought had occurred to me; sadly not to Airfix... :lol:

It is quite often done with Bf109 kits, presumably due to the cowl gunports, so it's not like it can't be done...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Seams (shudder). There must be an easier way... have you seen Paul Budzik's video that suggests using CA for the seams? Must give it a go.

I tried Tamiya Colour Acrylic on the Belle (as you know) and I'm not impressed with brushing it either (haven't tried it in the AB), even with flow improver.

All that said it's looking good Jon :D

• Like 2

I've started using Stew's technique of hand-brushing thinned coats for the second camo colour and, not surprisingly, it works for me too! :) It also avoids clean ups if the masking lets you down.

I've (perhaps unkindly) had a zoom on your last photo and I can't see the seam (good job) but I can see why you're not happy with the camo. I've started using surgical spirit on a cotton bud to remove little bits of paint, dipping one end in, rubbing it gently and then quickly whipping the other end over it to remove any excess*. I'm also using Micromesh pads (wet) to remove any paint build up and hard edges - even though I'm using W&N flow improver to dip my brush in*, I still can't seem to make myself apply thin coats. The teal one (4000) seems to do the job and dipping it in water prevents clogging*. I always have a piece of damp kitchen towel handy to wipe off.* Often (but not always) this avoids having to do the thing again.

HTH :)

* Dbl-E, score 1, fnaar fnaar! I typed all that seriously, trying to be helpful, but they still slipped in (another one - doh!) I'm beginning to think I should seek help...

• Like 1

I've always found them pretty good at reproducing the pattern and certainly they save time, but lately I seem to have given up on them as I can reproduce the patterns reasonably well by brush-painting and... well making models is my hobby, it's supposed to take up my time :lol:

::looks about, nervously::

• Like 3

I think once I touch in the runs, the clear and matt coats should tone down any lingering brush marks and hard edges, I think its going to be ok.

Me too! :D