Hurricane Mk1 Serial Unknown, 85 Squadron, France, May 1940

It would work well for Spitfires, drill the hole but not right though. As the rudder actuator on the Spit was on one side only, it should be possible to do a nice crisp right angle before slotting one end into the hole. Not prototypical, but a pretty good representation from most perspectives.

Now that is thoughtful a true gent that Procopius.

Very nice work there she is really coming together. Great idea for a little bit of wire and it looks spot on.

Yes cookie is doing this as well! How could I not have mentioned that! I think he is breaking out a spitfire as well.... god if airfix don't get the message by the end of what could be the biggest GB and no duobt full of wing conversions then they better do by the end of the hurricane GB!!

super stuff

Rob

• Like 3

I thought it was a bit odd the packet came with two identical figures, now, having checked Al Gunthwaite's site I see that it should be three different figures, so I've copped a ringer.

Would be it be cheeky if I pm'd him do you reckon? They are such lovely figures, full of character, it seems a shame to have twins!

Jon

PM sent...

You're doing a grand job painting the figures. I suggest a light dry brush to add highlights (blue grey for the uniforms and pale flesh for the faces) followed by another wash.

And the Hurricane's coming on very well too!

Al

• Like 1

Might get a bit more done later. It looks like the cockpit hood might fit in the open position with only a little fettling to the wooden bit behind the pilot's head. Has anyone tried? Presumably I need to take a little off each side - is it as easy as that?

Hey Jon,

Yes, a couple of Tony O'Ts builds have the hood slid back, and I copied his method of removing a little material from the back and sides of the 'hump' - just a bit of a scrape with the scalpel - it works very well.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I shall follow Al's suggestion, footsteps of giants and all that!, and Stew, I've sanded a little off the hump and a test fit suggests the open hood fits, even allowing for some paint.

Now I need to find a trolley acc, the only source a know is the soapy plastic one in the Airfix RAF personnel set, the figures tend to the small size, and the trolley looks a bit blobby, but I might have to make do?

Or a dimensioned drawing would do, then I could scratch build one? (Applying Ced's WWND philosophy).

• Like 3

I'm calling the aircrew finished - attempts to add more facial features kept failing, and I don't want to add too much paint. From a foot or more distance they look ok - the sculpts are great, I just don't see to be able to get the fine motor skills to get the features. I wish I'd been able to point them out to Stew when we were at Perth, he'd do a much better job than me of finishing them!

18018386668_6cc8739e84_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Apologies, its not the best picture.

• Like 3

I think the middle figure is quite good indeed, though I prefer the pose of the one on the left. I think the smoothness of their youthful faces makes it harder for a wash to do its work, but at actual size, next to the Hurri, I imagine they look pretty good.

• Like 1

I referred to the port wing as white, but it should be the starboard one. The whole of the undersurface has white primer at present, but I'll need to check coverage on the correct, starboard, side tomorrow. I should have stuck to left and right, probably still would've got confused anyway!

• Like 2

PM'ing Al Gunthwaite turned out to be an amazing stroke of luck. Not only has he sent me the missing man, but a full set of RAF crew as well. Al, if you're reading this, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

I can't wait to see what I can make of the Mae West clad pilot, for example. If you haven't already, check out his website at http://www.gunthwaite.co.ukand see the full range of naval and aircrew. Waiting in the wings are WW1 aircrew too, I believe.

On the hurri, today saw only more work on primer, so no new pictures.

• Like 5

Wow Rob,... this is coming along nicely and the ground crew figures are amazing,.....keep up the great work,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

I'm quite tempted by some of Al's figures - they really have got character, haven't they? - but they really require some kind of diorama-type setting with an aircraft, and space being at something of a premium at Chez D'apple - at least as regards to shelf space - surrendering to that temptation will require careful consideration. Perhaps something for the Vignettes Group Build when that happens...

Yours are looking great Jon, I'll be looking for tips on how you base them :D

The Hurricane's looking really good too; I do love me a black/white divided underside scheme B)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

I had wondered about trying to drill a leg and add a (sharp) pin, my photo grass is based on a cork board so it should be possible to push a pinned leg in and yet remove to suit differing photo set-ups. At least that's the plan. Had I really been thinking I would have tried that before painting, so will try on one of the new ones.

• Like 1