Hurricane Mk1 Serial Unknown, 85 Squadron, France, May 1940

I've had a lengthy break whilst family matters have taken precedence. Sadly they are still on-going, but a brief pause in other demands let me have some time to model this evening.

The enforced pause has dented my enthusiasm for my group build models, so the Churchill, P38 and 2CV remain incomplete. However, the fact that yesterday marked the 75th anniversary of 85 Squadron's withdrawal from France, prompted me to tackle one of the Hurricane stash. I still have two sitting waiting for metal wing conversion for the BoB group build, so this was a chance for another practice run using the fabric wing kit as it comes (more or less).

• Like 1

VY-G is the code included in the Series 1 Airfix boxing:

17989719176_f48860e616_c.jpgBattle of France Hurricane by jongwinnett, on Flickr

The kit decals must be for relatively late in the battle - they reflect the condition in the photo above, whereas earlier, the aircraft looked like this:

large.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs
  • Like 1

My progress has been steady, some detail painting done and the undercarriage bay box started:

17829937759_f1a2366482_c.jpgBattle of France Hurricane by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Since the picture was taken I've puttied the wings ready to create the metal area around the gun bays (I wonder if Airfix for some reason followed the first prototype, which appears to have fabric in this area, like the kit)

• Like 4

Ah, excellent stuff Jon, I think you'll enjoy this kit, it's a gem :)

Careful with the wheel-well walls(!) as there is potential for a poor fit with those which could lead to wing-half fitting issues later, but if you proceed with caution it should be fine :D

Good to see you back at the bench mate ;)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

I've had a lengthy break whilst family matters have taken precedence. Sadly they are still on-going, but a brief pause in other demands let me have some time to model this evening.

Hope all is well.

I look forward to seeing this come together, as I have one of these myself, courtesy a handsome stranger whose name rhymes with "Brew Crapple".

• Like 3

Hope all is well.

I look forward to seeing this come together, as I have one of these myself, courtesy a handsome stranger whose name rhymes with "Brew Crapple".

Ha, that sounds like the sort of ailment you might get from drinking too much home-made cider :lol: ... hey, wait a minute... :huh:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

+1 for PC's best wishes Jon, of course.

Looking forward to this one, when you can fit it in* :)

:popcorn:

* Dbl-E, score 1, fnaar fnaar just to cheer you up, I hope!

• Like 2

Regarding the wheel well walls, (try saying that after a few pints of Brew Crapple), I was mindful of problems having experienced the challenges on my earlier Mk1. I was therefore surprised that these seemed to align better this time round. Perhaps I exercised more caution in their fitting, but a test run last night showed the two wing halves to virtually snap fit around this area (I had taken the precaution of losing the alignment pins just in case!)

• Like 3

Thanks Ced. apart from the Eduard belts everything you see is OOB, only the wing correction takes this past basic assembly. I need to do the wing tip lights shortly and they were the most frustrating part of the first build.

• Like 1

Ah, but your Jedi like foresight was correct, the wings were terrible, even though the dry fit yesterday was fine. Much sanding in my future. Oh, and I've been side tracked - photos once I can get to the laptop.

This morning I went to the portrait gallery with a pal from work. I'm a huge fan of Lee Miller's photography, the fashion stuff but more particularly her work as Vogue's war correspondent in NW Europe in 44/45 (Yes, Vogue ran photojournalism articles chronicling the war, including some pretty unstinting horrors). Not a fan of Picasso, although I found myself warming to the old goat! Not sure what my friend made of my waxing lyrical about Miller's photos, although she claims to have enjoyed herself!

18090294475_ce612fa8ba_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Back to the Hurricane. I added a wash (German grey) to the interior parts and gave them a blast of Matt varnish. Once's that's dry i'll close up and start sanding the wings.

17904124479_580fe99891_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Not nice! Might try and find some NH approved epoxy for the wingtip lights - what brand are you using Ced?

These chaps, however, are proper!

17902633070_32f179662c_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

17904126519_aa0e8cbdbc_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

18063856506_da41a20735_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 3

So I broke out my coarse sanding stick (a rarely used weapon) and it made short work of the wing problems, a quick whiz with a fine stick (Ced, does that rate a fnaar?) and the flexi file and the wing looks very much better. Fuse closed up as expected, bit of tape to close up the joins but seems to have gone ok.

17906065130_ec4b3c7596_c.jpgClosed up and sanded down by jongwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 2

So I broke out my coarse sanding stick (a rarely used weapon)

Truly? I almost invariably have to resort to mine. I suddenly see why my kits look so bad next to everyone else's...

No I don't tackle items of dubious eastern promise! If i was you or Ced i'm sure the heavy weapons would be out constantly. Its a mark of the quality of Airfix and the like that they are rarely used, not an indication of any particular skill on my part! And believe me your models, and particularly your finishing, put mine to shame!

• Like 3