P-61A Black Widow, 422nd NFS - Dragon 1/72 – Pic heavy

Hello everyone,

Here is my latest model, the Northrop P-61A Black Widow “Lady Gen”, 422nd Night Fighter Squadron, 1944. I really love this aircraft, and I was lucky to find an old Dragon 1/72 kit in eBay at a reasonable price.

Built mainly OOB, I only changed the decals (Eagle Editions, printed by Cartograph). Painted using Model Master and Humbrol enamels. Weathering using silver pencil, Flory Models washes, and Tamiya Weathering Master kits. About the kit itself, overall I am very satisfied; especially considering this kit was manufactured in 1994. Great quality of the plastic, no flashing, and well defined panel lines. Some fit issues in the engine/wings area. The P-61A is tail sitter, so I had to add an incredible amount of weight to the nose, engines and even to the cockpit. Now I am a bit concerned with the ability of the landing gears to resist the weight!

I am happy with the result, and even more with the learning in the process – it was the first time that I tried several techniques, such as salt technique weathering (which resulted a bit too subtle), paint chipping using silver pencil, and some photography techniques. I have learned a lot with everyone’s posts here in Britmodeller, so thank you so much!

Please see below some pictures. I included a size comparison with an F-14A Tomcat, which was very interesting to me. Feedback and comments are very welcomed.

I hope you like it, and thank you for looking!

Best,

Ricardo

Model pictures

01%20P61.JPG

02%20P61.JPG

03%20P61.JPG

04%20P61.JPG

05%20P61.JPG

06%20P61.JPG

07%20P61.JPG

08%20P61.JPG

09%20P61.JPG

10%20P61.JPG

11%20P61.JPG

12%20P61.JPG

13%20P61.JPG

Size comparison

14%20P61.JPG

15%20P61.JPG

Edited by ricardotdr
  • Like 22

Nice. I'm by no means a Widow expert, so may I ask about the turret? What's the arrangement there instead of the usual 4 guns or deleted turret?

Thanks,

Thank you JWM!

Nice. I'm by no means a Widow expert, so may I ask about the turret? What's the arrangement there instead of the usual 4 guns or deleted turret?

Thanks,

Hi Mike! I don't really know, maybe it was a model inaccuracy added to my ignorance. The kit offered either this configuration or no turret at all. Now I am thinking that maybe this configuration was meant to be complemented with some aftermarket pieces, as I couldn't find any reference about this type of "turret"

• Like 1

Regarding the " turret ". As I recall it from my aging memory, the original turret caused some problems, especially with buffeting during rotation and was removed. Also, the B-29 program had priority over the P-61 in turret allocation. The large fairing, as seem on this model, is over a fuel tank that was fitted in the space where the turret went.

Nice looking model. If I could mention one small quibble, the yellow band on the prop tips is too wide. A 4 inch band was the requirement/standard.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 1

Well done Ricardo.

One question, why does one of the main wheels look like it is off the ground in one of the pictures?

Cheers

Warren

Well done Ricardo.

One question, why does one of the main wheels look like it is off the ground in one of the pictures?

Cheers

Warren

Thank you Warren! I think it just a visual effect, probably worsened by the tires being modeled as perfect circles (no deformation in the bottom of the tire)