As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Dermo245

How to attach etch to film (and then to plastic?)

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this has been answered before and I couldn't find anything on the manufacturers website... I have an Eduard Zoom set with pre-painted etch and the black plastic film that goes behind the etch pieces.

How do I attach these to a plastic kit cockpit? I know you use Super/CA for the etch but won't that melt the film bit of the 'sandwich'?

Thanks in advance,

Dermot

I usually use a drop of Klear to attach the PE to the acetate film, adding a tiny drop to each instrument face when it's dry. Then CA to attach that to the backing. The Klear gives the instrument faces a nice shine too :)

CA shouldn't melt the film, it might cloud it though. I use either gloss varnish, Klear or otherwise, or PVA glue or one of the other clear drying modelling glues, which I'm sure are just PVA in a small tub for twice the price of a large bottle....

Sten from IPMS Sweden suggested the gloss varnish method to me here.

I too go with the gloss varnish for acetate to etch, but I put a drop of Humbrol Clearfix over the instrument faces to make a clear cover.