Nutsplanet Viking Shieldmaiden

Hi Mick, if you don't mind me saying...it sort of jumped from very detailed on the face and skin tones to

one shot of the start of the clothes, and then more or less the finished article. I know you've given some detail in post

66, but I really enjoyed this coming together. Plus I'm really interested in doing some large scale figures, and this was really

the first thread I'd seen that didn't put me off i.e, it was easier to follow than others I'd seen. Hope that makes sense, now I'm off

to see the Beserker,

Sean

Hi Sean, ah, yes, I know, apologies for that, I kinda got in the groove and painting took over from taking pictures, to be honest it was only a couple of hours and she was nearly complete, it wasn't till after I thought "ah, I should have taken some pics of that", the Vallejo paints dry so fast, specially under my magnifying lamp, it surely does kick out some rads.

The "how to" sheets in the paint sets make doing the leather and wood so easy as well, before you know it it's done, the sleeves alone took about 10 minutes.

One point for anyone who uses Vallejo, have you had your 939 Smoke turn to jelly, mine was like the Andromeda Strain, it was fine yesterday and thick gel today, might be the stainless steel ball bearing I added as an agitator, but I would have thought it would have reacted sooner, anyhoo I need to go buy another smoke for the wood/leather set.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Mick, I understand where you're coming from. I'm the same myself when doing group builds.

You put up a picture of a half built plane, get busy, next post is in RFI. Thanks for taking the time to reply,

Sean

No worries, I hope that my work helps someone else or stops them from making any mistakes I did, and yes the Berserk went a bit haywire as well, I think what I really need is a time lapse camera sat on my shoulder.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The final, final, this it it, the last one.

The other spalted Beech base custom made to my spec by Bespoke Bases, excellent service, £8 for the base, local trophy shop made the lettered plate for £2.

IMG_0348_zpsxfx0dihp.jpg

IMG_0349_zpspnsrswti.jpg

Thats it, I promise.

Regards.

Mick.

• Like 11

I've tried to pick out a single detail to hold up as THE thing that makes this such a truly beautiful project and I can't as it just oozes quality and skill Bigmick.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all the comments again guys and gals, unfortunately I have a lot of remedial work to do on her, I went to a show, all the busts I've done in a foam lined box, I parked the car outside for an hour and when I took the box out and looked the shield had warped massively, so had to carefully submerge just the shield in almost boiling water which softened it enough to be flattened, while doing this the hand hold broke away from the shield as that had warped, as I tried to straighten that the hand hold snapped, so much gluing, filling and painting to do, that's what we call " a learn "

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mick

I have finally worked out where the figure work on the forum lives so I can check this northern angel out

I love her - truly..... She looked great at last weekends show, shame the actress was not there in the flesh to be admired... :bouncy:

Let me know if you are going to have a go at Khaleesi aka Emilia Clarke G.O.T

There's the bust of Danaerys with a Dragon on her shoulder, I might buy her and the other GoT characters just to make the set, but the new one I will be buying is Pirate Fury, basically Hector Barbossa from Pirates of the Caribbean, with Jack the monkey on his shoulder

• Like 2

... but the new one I will be buying is Pirate Fury, basically Hector Barbossa from Pirates of the Caribbean, with Jack the monkey on his shoulder

I like that one! Might get one myself. Looking forward to you rendition of him, anyway :popcorn::popcorn:

Ciao

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbsup: I usually have an opinion about everything but your painting skills,eye to detail ,step by step explanations and perseverance leave me speechless.

Beautiful,beautiful, beautiful work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your Shield Maiden is inspirational.

• 4 weeks later...

And then I looked at all the figures after the judging and thought "what's that next to the shieldmaiden", even more gobsmacked than the other two.

IMG_1177_zps2gzkjkeo.jpg

I just have to up my game for next year and paint something else, good job I've got some more for the stash.

Regards.

Mick.

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Sean, yeah, whole thing was a bit of a shocker, first SMW I've been to, first SMW competition and walked away with gold, bronze and a commended, then saw the pic in the Airfix magazine as well as some pics online. Had to order a load more busts as can't enter the same ones at SMW next year.

If you want to see the definitive paint look on YouTube for Viking Shieldmaiden, Ben Komets has done 14 videos painting each part, face, hands, leather etc, adding what paints he's using as well, I've ordered another to see if I can follow his videos and improve my painting.

Regards.

Mick.

• Like 1

A good first year alright. It was kind of funny seeing this in the mag, as usually when I spot a aircraft build

from this parish, I'll say to myself " That looks like so and so's model". Seen yours and went

"Hey that's Mick's bust".

I shall take a look at youtube.

Sean

improve my painting.
Regards.
Mick.

Seriously?.......Very funny.... :winkgrin:

Edited by sean

Congrats on the award.

That is some truly exquisite work, the tones of colors you used have really bought her out, especially her skin.

The shield pattern came out brilliantly.

If you ever met Katherine Winnick in person & you showed it to her, im sure she would be instantly impressed.

Truly nice work.

Wayne.

Edited by Deadman Disciple

If you ever met Katherine Winnick in person & you showed it to her, im sure she would be instantly impressed.

Giggity :)

Oh yeah giggity giggity, I've met some very impressive ladies over the years when I was an autograph collector and went giggity many times, Bridget Nielsen for one, bloody hell she's tall, propositioned by Colette Hiller who was Ferro "in the pipe 5 by 5" in Aliens and Sandahl Bergman, Valeria in Conan the Barbarian, plus the lovely actresses from Stargate, one of whom is my son's godmother lol.

Thank you Sean, it was different seeing her in a magazine, roll on next year and getting Mad Jack Churchill painted.

Regards.

Mick.

• Like 1