Empires at Sunset (1/72 -Neu-/Procopius joint build)

To-day I shall be strong,
No more shall yield to wrong,
Shall squander life no more;
Days lost, I know not how,
I shall retrieve them now;
Now I shall keep the vow
I never kept before.
-- A E Housman, A Shropshire Lad, XVI
Both the victor
and the vanquished are
but drops of dew,
but bolts of lightning -
thus should we view the world.
-- Death Haiku of Ōuchi Yoshitaka
King am I, whatsoever be their cry;
And one last act of kinghood shalt thou see
Yet, ere I pass.’ And uttering this the King
Made at the man: then Modred smote his liege
Hard on that helm which many a heathen sword
Had beaten thin; while Arthur at one blow,
Striking the last stroke with Excalibur,
Slew him, and all but slain himself, he fell.
-- Lord Alfred, First Baron Tennyson, The Idylls of the King, "XII. The Passing of Arthur"

11270161_981871258504353_340705399280225

I'm going to be doing a joint build with fellow forumite -Neu-, a man who has achieved everything in life that I once dreamed of doing myself, from postgraduate work to living in a Commonwealth country. When I first joined Britmodeller, I recall I saw a Spitfire XIV he'd built, and I thought to myself "I hope I can build to that standard some day". And so it was a great privilege for me to have him ask if I'd be interested in doing a build thread with him. I don't want to steal his thunder, so I'll let him describe his part of the build.

For my own part, I'm build two AZ Spitfire VIIIs, both in anticipation of the new Eduard kit -- I need to be able to straight-facedly tell Mrs. P that I haven't any Spitfires "like that", and she doesn't know about retractable tailwheels or additional fuel tankage -- and because I felt they made a natural follow-up to my Spitfire Vcs that I've just finished. The Spitfire Vs were stopgap Spitfires, the tropical variants arguably the least lovely and the least competitive with their potential foes out of all of the marks to see combat in the Second World War. The two-stage Merlin fighters -- VII, VIII, IX, and XVI -- represent to me the swing of the pendulum to the Allies' favour, like the magic sword that hero receives at the end of the second act. "Its name is Excalibur, which is as much to say as 'cut-steel'."

I've built the AZ VIII once before, and their IX -- which is a subtly different animal -- thrice. The kit's wings are a bit thick, and the prop needs some work for the spinner to close properly. Here's one I did earlier, with some friends:

1899529_751433081548173_706028875_o.jpg

• Like 10

Tell me about it, I just get " Not another Spitfire" and when I try to explain the subtle differences, that glazed look comes across her face.

Looking forward to this.

John

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 1

What they said ^^ :popcorn:

Edit: Can't find Neu's thread... without seeming like a, like, impatient teenager have I, like, missed it or am I, like, looking too soon?

Wow, that's quite a nice post from Proc... hopefully I can live up to the hype. Certainly I know that I always appreciate his posts and discussions, both in public and private. I'm immensely excited that we can actually build something together... though I'm going to need to work hard to keep up with his pace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CyqOhImtKw

(A compilation of various NHK news reels on the Ki-43... thanks to http://arawasi-wildeagles.blogspot.com)

So my builds will be two, Ki-43s, which roughly represent the opposing aircraft to the Spitfires. My interest in the SEAC theatre was kindled by reading Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper's Phenomenal Forgotten volumes. I read them with abandon about four years ago, while on a trip to Japan: Yes, I take vacations to go read books.

If you've never read of Forgotten Armies or Forgotten Wars, I'd highly recommend them. Its a phenomenal retelling of the political dimensions of the British Collapse in South East Asia from 1939 to 1962. Forgotten Armies covers the Japanese Challenge to British Rule during the Second World War; it provides a unbelievably rich portrait of a the waning days of the Empire in the region. It strikes you just how precarious their position was, which the Japanese would exploit in 1941 and 42.

This was in stark contrast to the resurgent power of Imperial Japan, which threatened the entire South East Asia theatre. They practiced a heady abandon that almost seemed more appropriate for Imperial Germany. Japan's successes were immense from December 1941 to June 1942; they planned a massive offensive that went nearly flawlessly. They took over the Dutch East Indies, Philippines, Malaysia and Burma in a matter of months, an area as large as western Europe. It would take the allies nearly four years to claw back those gains.

After 1940, the mainstay of the IJAAF was the Nakajima Ki-43, Hayabusa. It was a reasonably fast, extremely maneuverable fighter. It perhaps reflected all of the wrong lessons of fighting against the rag-tag Nationalist forces over China. Its lack of a self sealing fuel tank and other modern features would become the aircraft's major liabilities come the pivotal conflicts over the pacific. Nevertheless, it formed a critical part of the IJAAF's combat power throughout the war.

The first is a straightforward Fujimi -43-I from Fujimi, I'm going to use the OOB scheme of the 64th Sentai over Burma. The second will be a Special Hobby Ki-43-III Ko from the Morotai area in 1944. This kit has got a bit of a reputation of being a bear to build, like their other kits. I hope it doesn't prove to be a problem for me.

I'll post photos and the like tomorrow, when I have some time. We have guests over, and all of my stuff is in the spare room they are residing in.

Thanks again for coming to watch, this should be fun.

Edited by -Neu-
  • Like 7

Looking forward to this PC and Neu. It's already successful in my book as I have been waiting to catch a glimpse of one of your AZ IX's PC, and bam! right out of the gate.

Ah, that's where you're wrong, my friend, that's Neville Duke's Spitfire VIII.

What they said ^^ :popcorn:

Edit: Can't find Neu's thread... without seeming like a, like, impatient teenager have I, like, missed it or am I, like, looking too soon?

I believe all the action will happen in one thread. Sweet immediacy!

If you've never read of Forgotten Armies or Forgotten Wars, I'd highly recommend them. Its a phenomenal retelling of the political dimensions of the British Collapse in South East Asia from 1939 to 1962. Forgotten Armies covers the Japanese Challenge to British Rule during the Second World War; it provides a unbelievably rich portrait of a the waning days of the Empire in the region. It strikes you just how precarious their position was, which the Japanese would exploit in 1941 and 42.

I've read the first book, and it does a good job of, in a scholarly fashion, evoking the yawning, almost existential horror engendered by the collapse of British power in Burma in particular. Keep meaning to pick up the second book.

• Like 2

Well, that is two brilliant opening posts to a joint build.

Stunning subject choices.... I can tell this will be interesting and informative, and after seeing both of you previous completed models there will be some rather lovely looking AC's at the end.

Crack on in your own time and don't mind us hovering.

Rob

PC, I realized as I was turning off the computer that I had been duped, and that had to be the XIII in upper corner. The IX's still elude me, except that one shot in one of your bomber builds. Oh well, something to look forward to in the year end gallery. At this rate, that is shaping up to be an epic post.

Neu, I'm looking forward to your Ki-43's and learning more about them (the actual plane and the kits), I don't think I've seen a build of one before. PC and I got to see a Hayabusa at Pima in March. From what I understand, it was basically an aerobatics plane with a couple guns attached. Thanks for the book recommendations as well.

Cooken:

I'm trying to find my copy of Burindo Ki-43 guide. I'm pretty sure that's a -IIB you've seen (enlarge cowling, three bladed prop, large exhaust manifold), but I'm not the best at identifying these sort of things. I find the Ki-43 interesting because its such a quintessential japanese aircraft from WWII: an absolute focus on skill and maneuvering and the romantic aspects of air to air combat, rather than the reality. There are some great accounts of Japanese pilots winning battles vs Allied pilots by exploiting the pure maneuverability of the aircraft, but it was still a death trap for inexperienced crews.

Anyways, I'm going to amend my build a bit: I'll try to build the three major kits available right now:

IMG_1105_zpsotrvins6.jpg

Fujimi Ki-43-I 48th Sentai <- Burma 1942

Hasegawa Ki-43-II 248th Sentai <- Wewak, New Guinea, 1944

Special Hobby Ki-43-III-Ko 64th Sentai <-Burma 1945.

Doing three will be one of the dumber moves on my part, but I'd like to try nonetheless:

I'm going to add a few different parts. The Fujimi Kit will use an Eduard detail set. I'm going to graft a Resin Ki-44 cockpit into the hasegawa kit. It might not be accurate, but with the cockpit buttoned up and a few little modifications, its very hard to tell the difference. Finally I've got a Rob Taurus Canopy for the III-Ko.

IMG_1108_zpspzsgmycn.jpg

As you may note, I've already started a bit on some of the kits. Back in the day I used to mix my Aotoke primer from a bunch of paints and make too much of it. So I applied the excess to fill in applicable areas on other aircraft. On the Ki-43s that meant wheel wells and the interior fuselage. Then I went to Gunze, and just used their proper paint instead.

I also took the 248's decals and started sunning them to get the tail markings perfectly white. I'm experimenting a bit: I found that in previous sunning efforts there was a bit of condensation on the inside of the ziploc bag. So I added some rice to see if that helps remove the condensation and have some sort of effect on the decal.

Its Victoria day here in Canada, so I'll need to do some work, but I'll try to get started tonight on the kits.

• Like 5

I've come to believe that three kits is the optimum number to build at one time, with no more than two being limited run. (I might go further and say that no more than three kits or no more than four engines is a good rule of thumb for a multi-kit build.)

I'll also say I think you're pretty brave to use the Fujimi/Hasegawa kit decals. I still have some of the Rising Decals "Emperor's Eagles Part III" set, I could mail those out to you.

• Like 2

I've come to believe that three kits is the optimum number to build at one time, with no more than two being limited run. (I might go further and say that no more than three kits or no more than four engines is a good rule of thumb for a multi-kit build.)

I'll also say I think you're pretty brave to use the Fujimi/Hasegawa kit decals. I still have some of the Rising Decals "Emperor's Eagles Part III" set, I could mail those out to you.

Very kind of you Proc, but its okay... unless I mess them up.

Old Hasegawa kits decals aren't terrible. I've learned out a few tricks to deal with them.

#1: While they often are slightly off white, sunning them for a day or two in the sun will get them pretty close to white.

#2: Hot water is necessary to get them off the paper and adhered to the model surface.

#3: Mr Mark Setter and Softer (mostly softer) are essential. That product literally melts decals onto a surface, which is awesome.

The Fujimi Decals aren't that bad, and in this case, its one of their newer kit offerings with new decals. It looks pretty good, like new Hasegawa ones, so I don't think I'll have a problem.

Unfortunately, this isn't my third, fourth, or open kit. I probably have over 20 in some state of completion, though I have three other open projects (one of which is a hasegawa Mustang III Cooken) . Most of them will be put on the back burner for now.

• Like 1

I decided to do something differently this time. The fit of the prop to the spinner is so terrible on the AZ Spitfires that I wanted to get them out of the way while I was still at peak mojo, rather than frustrated and tired and ready to be done. So I spent...well, longer than I like to spend on any one part of a kit, precious seconds of my life, just ticking away, sanding down the propellor blade roots and even shaving them with a knife until the spinners at least sort of fit over them. Spinners are one area 1/72 kits are really let down, IMO, as it's almost impossible to capture the fine spinner detail we see in real life, like so:

spitfire-droptank-fuelling-300dpi.jpg

Anyway, I did my best, then sprayed the spinners. The RAAF Spitfire has a red spinner, and the Burma-based 152 Squadron Spitfire has a white one. I used Tamiya for both.

20201_982211618470317_525932389078700862

• Like 5

Spinners are a problem. When 3D kits had its closing sale I bought a couple of sets of Spitfire IX props, because of the very problem you cite. Not three weeks later I am already kicking myself for not purchasing more, because I know I'll find more Hasegawa or AZ kits that I can use them for.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, this isn't my third, fourth, or open kit. I probably have over 20 in some state of completion, though I have three other open projects (one of which is a hasegawa Mustang III Cooken) . Most of them will be put on the back burner for now.

Dear lord, twenty!

I keep meaning to try our the Mr. Setter/Softener products, them and the DACO stuff are the atom bombs of decal fixatives, from what I've heard.

I'm working from home today and tomorrow -- my job really only requires me to be in the office so I can kibbutz or have pointless, interminable meetings with my bosses to demonstrate how much more important they are than me -- so I did a little more on the Spitfires today. Just general prep; sawed off the clipped wingtips on one set of wings, trimmed the enormous sprue gates, cleaned the flash out of the tailwheel well, and glued in the wheel well itself, which is trapped between the fuselage halves, with a very inexact drawing to guide one on positioning.

A friend in Hawaii called me last night -- he was in a model shop that had a 75% off sale, so I will soon be the proud owner of a Hase Ju88A-11, MPM Hudson and Meteor PR10, and an Italeri CR42. It's the little things, sometimes.

• Like 2

Tag team model building?

Well. bless my cotton canopy cloth!

The best of British to you both.

I'll just hover in the background,

if you don't mind, making notes.

I hope Mrs P is blossoming?

Will you be posting the scans?

I hope Mrs P is blossoming?

Will you be posting the scans?

We learn the gender tomorrow, so I expect I'll have an ultrasound of my other WiP to share with you.

• Like 4

We learn the gender tomorrow, so I expect I'll have an ultrasound of my other WiP to share with you.

good luck! Hopefully you won't just get a bottom like I my first, would not stop messing around in there.

Rob

Dear lord, twenty!

I keep meaning to try our the Mr. Setter/Softener products, them and the DACO stuff are the atom bombs of decal fixatives, from what I've heard.

I'm working from home today and tomorrow -- my job really only requires me to be in the office so I can kibbutz or have pointless, interminable meetings with my bosses to demonstrate how much more important they are than me -- so I did a little more on the Spitfires today. Just general prep; sawed off the clipped wingtips on one set of wings, trimmed the enormous sprue gates, cleaned the flash out of the tailwheel well, and glued in the wheel well itself, which is trapped between the fuselage halves, with a very inexact drawing to guide one on positioning.

A friend in Hawaii called me last night -- he was in a model shop that had a 75% off sale, so I will soon be the proud owner of a Hase Ju88A-11, MPM Hudson and Meteor PR10, and an Italeri CR42. It's the little things, sometimes.

Thats awesome! I love deals like that... too much perhaps. I discovered that I have about 100 kits in the stash these days, which is far too much. So I'm on a modelling diet. No more kits except for special releases like that Fine Molds F-14D.

And don't get too far ahead... I won't be able to catch up! This episode is going to be called: why even simple builds turn out to be long drawn out affairs with me. I started by adding the photo etch to the Fujimi Ki-43-I's cockpit. That took almost an hour. I added some wire and panels to make it busy. This is what it looks like... I won't get it that accurate but I'd just like to give a sense of what's going on.

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-19%20at%2012.31.

Built the chair, and started on the instrument panel on the top. Not a great photo, it shows basically what's going on.

IMG_1112_zpshjk3x3h2.jpg

I'm thinking I might need to add an internal frame to rear wall of the cockpit, for no other reason than to block the view into the rear of the aircraft. The chair is supposed to be set in a frame; (sorry for the lofi versions, I took it from a scribd document online).

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-19%20at%2012.29.

I also started scribing the Ki-43-II. It looks a lot easier than my recent Su-7 effort. I might try to add some rivet details, if I can find the time.

IMG_1114_zpsi0fv27kz.jpg

I'll probably put the resin inserts into the cockpit tonight to give it some shape... then undertake the same amount of preliminary work on the -III so I can spray them all with Nakajima cockpit colour.... apparently it was painted, not just primed with Aotake.

As for time, I usually build in the evenings, for a few hours before I go to bed. I try to do at least one thing each night.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by -Neu-
  • Like 9

good luck! Hopefully you won't just get a bottom like I my first, would not stop messing around in there.

It was pretty squirmy the last time we looked, rolling over and whatnot. Anyway, once we know the gender, it's that much easier to presell before it's born.

• Like 3

Thats awesome! I love deals like that... too much perhaps. I discovered that I have about 100 kits in the stash these days, which is far too much. So I'm on a modelling diet. No more kits except for special releases like that Fine Molds F-14D.

Oh, same here. I only buy kits if I'm sad. Or really happy. Or had a long day. The only time I don't buy kits is if I have a problem, and ha ha ha, I obviously don't have a problem.

The KI-43s are looking nice! You're braver than me, scribing in detail on the wings. I generally only do that if there were raised panel lines originally. (I'm lazy.)

Today was Mrs. P's 32nd birthday, and so I got her a card:

11350526_982595655098580_495811748575136

She looked at it and said "you're lying, I know the big part's Spitfires."

Unfortunately, the rest of her birthday was pretty awful, as one of her birds has a huge tumor growing on its body that looks like something out of a David Cronenberg movie. It's amazingly gross, and doves being stupid, the bird keeps picking at it. So we had to make an emergency vet visit and pay fifty dollars for the privilege of learning that the dove was going to die soon, but not yet. Mrs. P wants it to die at home, because the agony of an animal's unnaturally prolonged life is lessened by being in a strange room it's never been in before, incapable of flight, waiting to meet the God of Doves.

So long story short, we had to cancel our dinner reservations (that's bad!) and order pizza (that's good!) and sit with the dove (that's bad!) and eat some cake (that's good!), and watch this immense dark shape jiggle under a dying bird's wing (that's my Tuesday night!). The bird remains alive at press, but I hope for everyone's sake that it passes peacefully soon.

However, I managed to get a little work done -- and trade blows with Cookie's Eastern Fleet carriers off Ceylon -- late late this evening.

I put one prop together:

11255857_982594938431985_469549684552040

The camera hides a multitude of sins, and frankly the AZ spinner/prop combo is on the very borderline of what I consider acceptable (and my standards are notoriously lax), and it's one of the rare cases I'd consider using a resin spinner and prop, were one available.

I also interior greened (oh yeah, it's a verb now) everywhere I could think of that might need it:

11069864_982595275098618_816660377498153

The canopies are futured as well. I compared them to the AZ IX canopy, which is noticeably smaller; as the AZ VIII canopy seems to agree well with most of my other correct Spitfire canopies -- eg Sword -- I suspect that the rumours about the AZ IX being slightly, very slightly too short are true. I am waiting for the Eduard IXs eagerly, and I will spend a lot of my money on them when they get here.

• Like 5

Nice work on the Ki-43's Neu, and nice work on the Spits PC :)

I liked the card you got the missus too :D

Perhaps I shouldn't mention this, but you know there is such a thing as a mercy killing... it's possible to strangle a pigeon pretty quickly so I would have thought a dove would be no problem. Just don't try to break its neck or you might well twist the head right off which would take some explaning :zombie:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Perhaps I shouldn't mention this, but you know there is such a thing as a mercy killing... it's possible to strangle a pigeon pretty quickly so I would have thought a dove would be no problem. Just don't try to break its neck or you might well twist the head right off which would take some explaning :zombie:

I feel like once you kill a sick bird, you realize how easy it is to kill a healthy bird, and thence lies madness, divorce, and possibly the manifestation of long-dormant sociopathic tendencies.

• Like 4