Soyuz Launch Pad in Baikonur [LVM Studio 1:144 scale]

Hello Folks!

Following is my assembly of LVM Studio’s magnificent kit of the Baikonur Soyuz Launch Pad.

A really big kit (resin, photo etching) which will host my NewWare kit of Soyuz TM.

http://www.forum-maquettes-spatiales.com/t1282-lanceurs-r7-vostok-et-soyuz-tma-new-ware-1-144-montage-de-bgire

I first discovered this kit on the LVM Studio’s stand in Telford Scale Model Show four years ago. It took all this time to decide to start this huge project.

The cardboard box is really big and includes many parts and assembly instructions (a CD):

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-001_zps090904c8.jpg

Inside, many photo etched sheets (.15mm brass), numerous resin parts and 4mm thick styrène plates for the concrete base:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-003_zps9e023abf.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-005_zps3bfcac58.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-006_zpsc5e0750f.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-004_zps286b9c1f.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-002_zpsb3f8517d.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-008_zps89b09bc4.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-010_zpsc79f8260.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-011_zpsd4aab344.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-009_zpse5536af6.jpg

Starting with the « concrete base ». This reproduces only part of the real, huge platform built above a big trench in Baikonur. The top plate and inner cylinder are moulded parts, the rest is made of 4mm styrene plates.

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-015_zps3786c49b.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-014_zps9121ad11.jpg

Meanwhile photo etched plates and resin parts are airbrushed (army green on white undercoat):

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-012_zpsdfb325af.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-013_zps85d97819.jpg

Finishing the “concrete” base:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-019_zps21219496.jpg

The numerous service arms basements are secured with screws from the bottom of the base through the top plate, mainly because of their reduced surface which are insufficient to hold them:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-020_zpsef289a8a.jpg

To be continued…

• Like 3

Continued…

Lower arms assembly. These arms hold the launcher from below and allow access to the engines:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-016_zps0147b523.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-017_zpsec3faca4.jpg

A dry fitting of these arms on the pad. Note the annular brass plate which will hold the other arms:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-023_zpscf620cac.jpg

Arm bases are being screwed and glued to the base plate:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-024_zps05a94fd5.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-025_zps64860a15.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-026_zps901ba4da.jpg

Now is the turn of the four holding arms which support the launcher just above the four boosters. These “petal” arms open to free the rocket when nominal power level is reached during lift off:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-031_zps0a107421.jpg

This finely made brass photo etching is .15mm thick and a pleasure to work with:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-030_zpsc31a09d6.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-029_zps4cfd673d.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-033_zps04921f01.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-034_zps2029d58f.jpg

Making of the four “counter-arms” which free the rocket during launching:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-028_zps44d8fb2e.jpg

A small aesthetic improvement to the photo etched folds which are bonded with white glue to hide the void between faces.

When painting I opted for down toning the original colour for scale effect. I follow my usual method, by adding 12% of white to the original colour. 12 is the square root of the scale under figure (144).

Almost no weathering: pictures show the whole metallic part of the pad appears very clean and freshly painted.

The four “petal” arms are now equipped with top platforms:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-035_zps2d7ca734.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-037_zpsf612a232.jpg

Their articulation bearings:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-038_zps91019bb9.jpg

Now is the turn of the small umbilical arm which services the central core (second stage).

This naked structure will be equipped later with a lot of cables:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-040_zps514311a4.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-041_zps547bed4c.jpg

Following is the large umbilical which services the third stage. This spectacular, one piece build is quite challenging to shape and glue:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-043_zpseee6e8e1.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-044_zps08ed9eef.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-045_zps7c1df79f.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-046_zps7c877faa.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-048_zps7db2263b.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-050_zps3e6919a9.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-051_zps78d40915.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-052_zps7ca8c129.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-053_zps347aad03.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-058_zps1d54ca80.jpg

To be continued…

• Like 6

Continued….

Now I'm starting the assembly of the two large service and access towers which “sandwich” the launcher and are opened and folded horizontally hours before the launch.

Each tower is built around a square truss core which serves also as a lift well:

The two towers:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-068_zpssjj782to.jpg

A tower top showing underside overhead crane:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-064_zpsm4d6nqmu.jpg

This is the truss structure which holds the large tower folding actuators:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-066_zpsrumcnysl.jpg

Both towers with their access platform and folding base. The blue lift cabins are dry fitted:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-076_zpsohprlwzt.jpg

My workbench:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-073_zpsojt5os4d.jpg

After watching a lot of Soyuz preparation videos I decided “my” green wasn’t appropriate and I airbrushed the whole stuff again with a “better” green:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-077_zpsgqqhrpj8.jpg

Detailing this build, I designed, drew and printed some decals, including the security circle around the pad (black and yellow on a white undercoat) and some markings I noticed all around.

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-082_zpslwqmyaky.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-083_zpsfwfbcwzw.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-085_zpswzxzjeqn.jpg

The four “petal” arms are now finished. I couldn’t resist a dry fit to have a look on what will be going later:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-087_zpscxtml7cw.jpg

The two towers are now being equipped:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-088_zpskmwux2p5.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-089_zpsi08ffu4l.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-090_zpsuovouxtk.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-091_zpshs6k44h9.jpg

Gluing the numerous yellow protections on access platforms:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-092_zpse3pha1xq.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-093_zpsezuxbisl.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-094_zps1uns0bee.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-095_zps9yjemn2d.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-096_zpslrlstfhu.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-097_zpsdarbmzrq.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-098_zpspkidpj5s.jpg

An underside view which shows the numerous lighting bulbs under each platform:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-099_zpsmfyrgz8e.jpg

Assembling the counterweights. Each moving part is equipped with highly visible yellow counterweights.

The two umbilicals:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-100_zpswrafl4mr.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-101_zpshi43tywm.jpg

The four “petal” arms:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-102_zpseaayjkd8.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-103_zpsv0oebefe.jpg

The two almost fully equipped towers.

Fore view:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-104_zpsxruaotqc.jpg

Rear view. Note the cuts to allow access for the umbilical arms:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-105_zpsht2ojxsf.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-106_zpseqjabeey.jpg

To be continued…

Edited by bgire
  • Like 12

I've seen this kit advertised but never considered buying it because I thought it would be beyond my abilities.

Having seen your work I now realise it is way beyond my abilities. Some really impressive work there - I look forward to seeing it mated with the Soyuz launcher.

• Like 1

Leon makes such great kits, you guys should try one. You really do make all the PE look good, and nice clean painting. Great Job!!

Thank you Folks for your kind replies.

Next week-end I hope to have this build completed, so stay tuned.

My Soyuz launcher (NewWare excellent kit) is waiting for its pad...

R7-Soyuz-16_zps7fe2af48.jpg

As said RichO you really should try Leon's excellent launch pad kits.

Cheers!

_Bruno

• Like 4

First of all my compliment for this excellent Launch Tower, which is very impressive. :goodjob:lob2.gif

As I have seen, the resin parts almost have such base plates, which is not so great. gr_hail.gif That was certainly very expensive to remove them, right? gruebel.gif

But on the other hand the quality and fitting accuracy of the PE parts seems to be very good. icon_thumb.gif What kind of glue have you used for the PEs?

What tools did you use for bending the long parts? undecided.gif

Can't wait to see your pretty Soyuz on the pad. n060.gif

As I have seen, the resin parts almost have such base plates, which is not so great. gr_hail.gif That was certainly very expensive to remove them, right? gruebel.gif
But on the other hand the quality and fitting accuracy of the PE parts seems to be very good. icon_thumb.gif What kind of glue have you used for the PEs?
What tools did you use for bending the long parts? undecided.gif
Can't wait to see your pretty Soyuz on the pad. n060.gif

Thank you Sir for your kind comment.

Yes, resin parts are somewhat tricky to separate as they're not very distinct from the resin sprue below. However, the resin used isn't very hard and "surgical"cuts are possible. No trouble encountered at all. I was afraid regarding the 60 light bulbs but separating these from the sprue went nearly perfect.

The quality and accuracy of PE parts is excellent. The PE is by far the best part of the kit indeed. Fitting is easy and very smooth.

To bend the metal part I used three methods:

- Using a folding machine when the folds comes too close to the part edge to get a sharp, angle controlled edge.

- Using a flat metal rule and/or a cutter blade for small easy foldings.

- Folding between fingers only for very large truss parts: LVM designed these as being very easy to bend this way, thanks to a calibrated half deep cut inside the fold with the proper width to "stop" the folding at the designed angle. I folded the long truss parts between my palms.

My Soyuz will find its place tonight and I expect to finish the whole build early next week.

_Bruno

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

looking forward to seeing the diorama completed. I have a question - were these launch towers re-used or were they used just the once and destroyed in the launch process?

Thanks

The launch pad at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan is still in operation. cool.gif

Progress M-27M launched on Tuesday April 28 and was on its way to the ISS, but got out of control, the rest is history.

2,h=554,c=0.bild.jpg

Source: bild.de

Thank you for your messages.

Well... I'm experiencing an unexpected delay. I tried to fit the Newware Soyuz TMA to the LVM launch pad. A very challenging operation.

Clean fitting is rather hard to obtain and I had to improve/ alter some parts which, for good, will not show on the finished model but are firmly holding the rocket suspended between the four arms.

Some frightening moments last Saturday, I took a big breath and all ended very well.

Hope to make decisive progress next week end.

I wish I could build the same stuff for my Apollo Saturn 1B, Apollo Saturn 5 and planned 1:144 scale Ariane's (these last scratchbuilt).

At last, launch pads are funny additions to build, believe me!

Dave: yes you're right!

_Bruno

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Continued…

After a long (professional) break my project is again on course for the last phase (at last I hope!).

Finishing equipping the two service towers: electric cable ducts, platform suspension cables, a long but very straightforward step.

The two towers :

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-106_zpseqjabeey.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-107_zpstp3u8siq.jpg

The left tower:

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-108_zpsz3havom1.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-109_zpsn6rn27iy.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-110_zpsviilvuxc.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-111_zps04hw7kpp.jpg

The right tower :

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-112_zps62xulmdg.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-113_zpslmc2xvm1.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-114_zps4l6jwqld.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-115_zpsxskr5oga.jpg

Soyuz_Launch_Pad-116_zpscxicl4wc.jpg

Here I reached the detailing limit as supplied in the kit. Thanks to numerous high resolution pictures available on the internet I’ll start now further detailing.

…to be continued…

• Like 2

Hi Bruno,

the towers look bombastic and are built very clean. :goodjob:

I like the delicate PE parts which let rise my anticipation for my LVM Detail kits for the Shuttle Launch tower.

I'm curious to see how it will go on with further detailing. :coolio:

Keep on scratching, buddy! :thumbsup: