C.O.D. aircraft

IIRC in the 80s when Esci released their Lockheed Viking the kit came with a choice of armament or large baggage panniers/pods,for a C.O.D. version.

My first question,did all the Viking anti sub squadrons have a dedicated aircraft to use for carrier on board delivery or was there a dedicated squadron (attachment) ,similar to the use of the Greyhound

Does anyone know if the use of the Vikings in COD mode was a" stop gap " untill a dedicated aircraft was in full service. I believe it was not uncommon to use the ASW aircraft in this role.

I remember GW Bush flying a Viking onto one of the newer carriers a few years ago,was this being used in a COD role?

I have a photograph of a British AEW Skyraider ( complete with graffiti) being used to deliver mail,were Gannets and Seamews used as well and were they a dedicated aircraft/squadron or whatever was available.

I would be very grateful if anyone could either give me their opinion/answers or point me in the right direction to search the net (not having much luck at the moment)

Thanks

:captain:

• Like 1

As an aside, how come 'GW' - someone with the IQ of a woodlouse - got to be a pilot?

quotes - 'Bush was favorably treated due to his father's political standing as a member of the House of Representatives, citing his selection as a pilot despite his low pilot aptitude test scores and his irregular attendance'

'In 1972, Bush was suspended from flying for failure to take a scheduled physical exam'

My first question,did all the Viking anti sub squadrons have a dedicated aircraft to use for carrier on board delivery or was there a dedicated squadron (attachment) ,similar to the use of the Greyhound

I believe US-3As were used by dedicated units such as VS-30 rather than individual squadrons having their own US-3As.

I have a photograph of a British AEW Skyraider ( complete with graffiti) being used to deliver mail,were Gannets and Seamews used as well and were they a dedicated aircraft/squadron or whatever was available.

There was a dedicated Carrier On-board Delivery version of the Gannet, the COD Mk.4 which was operated by 849 NAS alongside its Airborne Early Warning Gannets. The aircraft were finished in a rather smart blue scheme and they were fitted with a pair of underwing panniers.

In 1/72nd scale, decals are available from Xtradecal's sheet X72072: http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72070 or, if you can find an example, Model Art's sheet MA72/057 http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MA7257 and the cargo pods from the recently resurrected Alley Cat: http://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/gannet-cod-mk-4--ecm6-4946-p.asp.

HTH

Going by memory here.. IIRC the specialized US-3 variant was not a success and was used by a single unit. With the reduction in the asw commitments at the end of the cold war, all squadrons started providing a limited cod service. I'll check all these facts later when back home

The S-3 that GW Bush flew was immediately taken out of service and now resides at the National Museum of Naval Aviation. An acquaintance told me that the fleet were not happy as it was a low hours a/c with all the upgrades fitted. But I guess the politics of having Navy 1 on display outweighed that . It was not a COD aircraft, it came from VS-35

George

cool thread .. is there any 1/72 kits or conversions for the greyhound ?

Falcon produce a simple vac form conversion and I saw a very expensive resin conversion set at Southern Expo in 2014. Oz Mods also produce a rather neat conversion for the Revell 1/144th scale kit.

Mail/Cargo pod carried on standard (for the time) S-3A:

s6.jpg

s5.jpg

Loading a similar pod on the US-3A:

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

Standard drop tank on the US-3A's port side:

s4.jpg

US-3A right side cockpit, I think the CRT is for their weather RADAR as I believe the AN/APS-116 had been removed.

s7.jpg

Photos taken at Diego Garcia in the spring of 1980 (yes, I really used black and white film)...

Edited by Don McIntyre
  • Like 4

Falcon produce a simple vac form conversion and I saw a very expensive resin conversion set at Southern Expo in 2014. Oz Mods also produce a rather neat conversion for the Revell 1/144th scale kit.

who made the resin set ?

You can tell the COD Vikings as they have that small oval window between the cockpit and the square crew window.

Hasegawa did box this in 1/72 at some point.

138_3853.JPG

Julien

I have a set of the Model Art decals for the Gannet COD that I won't be using if anybody needs them.

As far as the Greyhound goes, I have the old Falcon vac-formed conversion fuselage and a donor old mold Fujimi E-2C Hawkeye for the wings, engines, wheels, and tail structure. All thats missing is the fuel dump pipe on the port rear fuselage, the windows, and some decent decals.

I wish that SOMEONE would make a nice 1/72 Greyhound kit with a decent cockpit, interior, and some excellent Cartograph decals.

Always Dreaming,

WARDOG

anyone got any idea info on what this is like it resin etc ?.

http://www.coopersmodels.com/catalog/item/5762418/10097175.htm

thomas

also there is a US-3A viking on ebay usa ..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IHasegawa-1-72-Scale-Lockheed-US-3A-Viking-Utility-Transport-/141647472426?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20fad8e72a

I have a set of the Model Art decals for the Gannet COD that I won't be using if anybody needs them.

As far as the Greyhound goes, I have the old Falcon vac-formed conversion fuselage and a donor old mold Fujimi E-2C Hawkeye for the wings, engines, wheels, and tail structure. All thats missing is the fuel dump pipe on the port rear fuselage, the windows, and some decent decals.

I wish that SOMEONE would make a nice 1/72 Greyhound kit with a decent cockpit, interior, and some excellent Cartograph decals.

Always Dreaming,

WARDOG

http://www.coopersmodels.com/catalog/item/5762418/9376283.htm

http://www.coopersmodels.com/catalog/item/5762418/10097175.htm

take your pick mate !

At one time HMS Vengence had a Barracuda as its ship's flight aircraft.It was overall dark blue.I presume it carried out COD type duties

The Seamew didn't enter service so I doubt if it was even trialled as a COD.

Fond memories of the Gannets with 'H' 'V' 'E' and 'R' tailcodes from the 'real' carriers we had back then.

• Like 1

Julian,I looked for that release for an age,but began to think Id been mistaken about the COD role. Looks like the quest is back on.

Thanks all again for making this so interesting. :thumbsup:

The hasgeawa kit already has the small oval windows which you need to fill to make a normal Viking (they were also on the prototype which Hasegawa must have used to make the model), if you can can get together some decals which would not be hard for the overall white one in the pictures then you would only have to scratch build the pods.

Julien

At one time HMS Vengence had a Barracuda as its ship's flight aircraft.It was overall dark blue.I presume it carried out COD type duties

The Seamew didn't enter service so I doubt if it was even trialled as a COD.

Fond memories of the Gannets with 'H' 'V' 'E' and 'R' tailcodes from the 'real' carriers we had back then.

The all over dark blue Barracuda is an option in Special Hobbies TR.3 boxing, it also appears on a PrintScale decal sheet (both 1/72).

Regards

Tom

The hasgeawa kit already has the small oval windows which you need to fill to make a normal Viking (they were also on the prototype which Hasegawa must have used to make the model), if you can can get together some decals which would not be hard for the overall white one in the pictures then you would only have to scratch build the pods.

Julien

Ive just managed to get the Hasegawa kit. ..................at long last. :thumbsup:

Tom a COD Barracuda would be a good partner to a Gannet..........................................do I see a theme starting. Im my own worst enemy sometime :boom: