Merit X - Craft Build

longshanks

Nice one Chris :goodjob:

I don't know the size of the propeller but if it needs to be changed here are a couple of possible sources

This one accepts commissions if the don't have the right size/style

http://www.gsitek-props.co.uk/categories.asp?cat=10

http://www.raboesch.com/index.php/en/online-store-en/marine-accessories-uk/brass-propellers-uk?limitstart=0

Cheers Kev

They've got a very nice selection of propellers. Thanks for the links Kev.

Pictures in the old 'Mystery of X5' book would make you swear that they were painted in the lighter grey, such as the Duxford machine, but then you can look at different pics of the Gosport machine and it looks black in one, and much much lighter in another! I reckon mine will end up painted in whatever I can get a spray can of, LOL!

Edited by Mike Bull
  • Like 2

With regards to colour scheme did a little digging in my own expanding library, highly recommend Underwater Warriors by Paul Kemp contains a few chapters on the X-craft with detailed development notes.

In development mountbatten pink was tried and discarded, the standard submarine scheme of the time was adopted, black upper surfaces with grey sides, the XE class where black all over. one exception to this where the two craft used in operation overlord. They were painted yellow ochre, stone and hookers green (as depicted by the accurate armour release). A few things to note are that X-5 onwards were 51ft 71/2in long being longer than the two prototypes by approx. 7ft.

The XT class was shorter being 51ft 4in long and the XE class being longer at 53ft 1in. X-51 class HMS stickleback etc were 3inches larger in the beam.

Hope this helps all intending to model them, as I will be when I get mine LOL

All the best Chris

• Like 1

Mike I think the link youve added has got it wrong as all photos ive seen show the same colour to the waterline, i suggest inline with standard WW2 navy practice on submarines there would be a line just below the waterline, also a dark grey would have been used, not a light grey as per the model. As my previous post it stated black upper surfaces and the top curve of the hull would qualify as upper surface.

See photos from my visit to Submarine museum Gosport.

DSC00848_zps6ocknqit.jpg

DSC00849_zpsw6mspyro.jpg

All the best Chris

Definitely inclined to agree re the model I linked to being incorrect- there's just NO sign of any such paint demarcation on any archive photo- but there's no sign that I can see of anything else, either- they appear to be just the one, uniform colour- unless the difference was so slight, it just didn't register in the B&W shots.

Have now seen some high resolution pictures- some of X6 just after building, showing a discernable half and half light/dark paint scheme, BUT, looking very much as if the craft simply wasn't fully painted yet. There are other shots, particularly of X5, where it is unmistakably just one dark shade all over. I think everyone who has been painting their X craft one uniform dark shade of grey have got it pretty much right.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At some tim I'd like to build an x-craft. Lived at Gaunsborough when I was very young & proud of the fact that one was built by Marshall bros at thier Gainsborough factory.

Do any of the kits available represent this vessel as I believe it is one of the survivors

• Like 1

Started building this kit on holiday, it is going together very well but that propeller needs to either be replaced or have the blades enlarged.

Martin

Hi Radpoe, the following were built at Gainsborough X24 & X25, I would go with building one of these two as they can be represented by the merit kit at 1/35 or at 1/72 by pavla, chorosozy.

Also XE1 to XE12 were built at Gainsborough in a consortium with Broadbent. But these X craft were longer, see previous post.

X-24 is on display at the submarine museum Gosport.

All the best Chris

Hi Radpoe, the following were built at Gainsborough X24 & X25, I would go with building one of these two as they can be represented by the merit kit at 1/35 or at 1/72 by pavla, chorosozy.

Also XE1 to XE12 were built at Gainsborough in a consortium with Broadbent. But these X craft were longer, see previous post.

X-24 is on display at the submarine museum Gosport.

All the best Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the info, I'm sure I'd read somewhere that the Gosport example was Marshalls built, however it was also my understanding it was the sole one to be built in the town.

I remember my parents telling me it was tested I the River Trent to along the wharf front.

Many thanks again Adrian

Edited by Radpoe Spitfire

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ancient, not to my knowledge, the accurate armour one is OOP and @ £235.00 compared to £45.00 for the Merit X-Craft enough said.

At 1/35 its at a scale that you can super detail if you want to, there is a link in this thread to show someones build of this kit including detailing the schnorkel and periscope.

All the best Chris

I personally haven't come across them, but if you contact the submarine museum using the form on the page link below, they night be able to help.

https://www.submarine-museum.co.uk/what-we-have/research

alternatively a visit to the submarine museum might be in order as X24 is on display.

All the best Chris

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

If anybody knows what propeller should be fitted to the merit kit can they pass it on to those of us who are eagerly awaiting the result of the research going on .

cheers

TONE

Hi Tone heres a blown up photo of what it should look like, this is of an X-craft in production, basically your looking for something similar as stated there are numerous sources for props. Will let you know if a match is found.

X-craft%20propeller_zps4jcb2m7n.jpg

All the best Chris

What diameter of prop are we looking at do you think Chris? Cornwall Model Boats have a lovely selection of 3 bladed props for sale.

Hi Dave had a look, guesstimating 25mm diameter, if you can measure the width of the dive planes on your merit x-craft, as haven't got one yet. I could be a bit more accurate but based on scaled 1/144 x-craft it comes out at 25mm (1/35 equates to 34" dia. would assume 36" (3') as engineering wise would be foot increments which comes back to 26mm dia. so 25mm is a safe bet.

Had a look at cornwall models best prop for the job LH 25mm as link below

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/R146-M2.html

also found this on fleabay which fits the bill, as not too sure of the centre profile of the one above

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRASS-MODEL-BOAT-PROPELLER-25mm-3-BLADE-RIGHT-HAND-M4-/191500130500?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c964c18c4

All the best Chris