Irish Air Corps Gazelle 241 - Airfix 1/72

Hi everyone and here's the latest from me, Airfix's trusty Gazelle in Irish Air Corps markings.

The Gazelle served with the Irish Air Corps from 1979 to 2005 in the helicopter training and conversion roles. Two of three planned a/c were delivered with one being written off in a crash (no fatalities) in 2002. The remaining a/c was withdrawn in 2005 with over 5,000 hours in Air Corps service and from what I've read is now based and registered in the UK as HA-LFQ.

Was mostly OOB and the full WIP build is here

This was the first time i've built a model for someone else and I hope he's happy with how it's turned out!

Airfix_Gazelle_Irish_Air_Corps_6_zpskfvf

Airfix_Gazelle_Irish_Air_Corps_10_zpsad4

Airfix_Gazelle_Irish_Air_Corps_8_zpsww9v

Airfix_Gazelle_Irish_Air_Corps_9_zpspnws

Thanks for looking and your comments.

All the best,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 15

Looks very nice indeed. One of my favourite types.

I spent a day as a guest of the Irish Air Corps at Casement in 1983 and saw about 95% of their inventory!

One of the types I took a photo of was the Gazelle and one is of 241 itself.....

fa8093ae-8bc8-4fdd-baaa-72a2b2635100_zps

61cc174d-74ad-4ad5-b8f6-b785965c28b6_zps

Trevor

• Like 1

Looks very nice indeed. One of my favourite types.

I spent a day as a guest of the Irish Air Corps at Casement in 1983 and saw about 95% of their inventory!

One of the types I took a photo of was the Gazelle and one is of 241 itself.....

fa8093ae-8bc8-4fdd-baaa-72a2b2635100_zps

61cc174d-74ad-4ad5-b8f6-b785965c28b6_zps

Trevor

Thanks lads, appreciate it.

Great photos Trevor and thanks for sharing - would be great to see more of them if you had them? Irish Air Corps photos always welcomed!

You can probably make out from the photo that the near a/c is painted orange while the one behind is bright red - both should have been the orange colour but the manufacturer apparently got it wrong when they were supplied! By all accounts, the orange weathered very quickly so 241 got the Red colour during a subsequent overhaul.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 1

Nice job Dermot,

A lovely model and the WIP was great to follow too,...looking forward to the Dauphan,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

First Gazelle model I've seen since I did a 705sqd. one in '88. Seeing that build brings back memories of the unmistakable sound of them whizzing around the Helston area all those years ago.

• Like 1

I remember 241 well. There are alternative schemes for it. On two separate occasions it was repainted as a British Army Air Corps Gazelle for movies. Once in a spurious overall grey and once in a more accurate scheme. I saw it like that accompanied by an Alouette and wondered what was going on. They would make interesting schemes.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

Dermo

Here is a thread of mine from a couple of years ago. All these photos were on 35mm and were copied using my iPhone so detail and colour fidelity may not be 100%.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234941144-irish-air-corps-casement-1983/

Btw I just noticed that in the picture, 241 doesn't have the tail flash, but from what's been said above it appears to have had a few repaints in its time.

Trevor

• Like 1

• 1 month later...