KLM Skyteam Boeing 737-900 in 1/144

This is the companion conversion to the Flyglobespan 736 which I posted a short time ago.

Engines and winglets are modified from the kit parts and I shortened the main landing gear to improve the sit which I think is important with the long fuselage of the -900. It looks wrong, at least to me, with its tail in the air.

The fuselage colour is Tamiya TS-76 Mica Silver oversprayed with TS-65 Pearl Clear. The blue is from an ancient tin of Humbrol 190 Blue Angels Blue. Like the 736 the decals are by Drawdecal.

Thanks for looking (again!) and as always constructive criticism is welcome.

Dave

http://35966175735_323ab9a6d1_k.jpgSAM_0038 by David Griffiths, on Flickr

http://35924734426_4105f1c344_k.jpgSAM_0041 by David Griffiths, on Flickr

http://35795511322_34f06976f8_k.jpgSAM_0040 by David Griffiths, on Flickr

http://35156138023_ef9e94f519_k.jpgSAM_0039 by David Griffiths, on Flickr

http://35924732906_6adc4414de_k.jpgSAM_0042 by David Griffiths, on Flickr

Edited by Skodadriver
Bl**dy Photobucket!
  • Like 25

Thanks Jeff. It was a straightforward cut and splice on the Revell kit. Obviously you need two kits to start with and I used the leftovers to make the 736 although they would also have done a 737-700.

• Like 1

Thanks Jeff. It was a straightforward cut and splice on the Revell kit. Obviously you need two kits to start with and I used the leftovers to make the 736 although they would also have done a 737-700.

You make it sound so easy and matter of fact - but that still takes a lot of talent. A lot.

Great looking result.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 2

The conversion work has paid off with another very nice 737. It's a pity Revell made so many very silly mistakes with their kit. Lovely paint job!

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind comments everybody.

Ray - I borrowed the Tamiya 76/65 idea from somebody on Airliner Cafe. I'm not a fan of rattle cans at all but the Tamiya paint worked brilliantly despite my ham-fisted attempts to ruin everything. I applied it over Halfords grey primer which had been rubbed down with French polisher's wire wool to give a nice smooth surface. The grey primer seems to take the edge off the Mica Silver and I'm pretty happy with the final effect.

Edited by Skodadriver
  • Like 1

That is a very tidy looking 900, and it sits just right too.

I agree with shortening the main legs, my first few Revell builds looked wrong somehow. Then I realised they all sat tail high so I worked my way through them cutting them off, shortening, and replacing.

Good tip on the silver, it looks very good. I'll remember that one for future use!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Two superb builds, you've done an exceptional job on both this -900 and your -600. The builds, paint jobs and decals are all top notch.

I've just invested in a -900 and -600 from Authentic Airliners, and I'll be extremely happy if I manage to get them anywhere near your fantastic finish.

Great job.

Tim

• Like 1

Thanks John and Tim.

I'm planning to retrofit some of my older 738s with shorter undercarriage legs. It definitely makes a difference and it's a real shame that Scale Aircraft Conversions just copied the Revell length.

Tim - what liveries are you planning for your AA pair?

Thanks John and Tim.

I'm planning to retrofit some of my older 738s with shorter undercarriage legs. It definitely makes a difference and it's a real shame that Scale Aircraft Conversions just copied the Revell length.

Tim - what liveries are you planning for your AA pair?

Good question on liveries - there are so few -600s and -900s operating in Europe.

The -600 will be Scandinavian who operate them into many UK airports - I've got hold of a Liveries Unlimited decal sheet which looks really good.

For the -900 I'm creating my own decal for Turkish Airlines who have all the logos available as downloads on their website, but using Daco detail for doors, windows, etc.

I'll post pictures if they come anywhere as good near your great builds.

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1

Well smack my gob !

I'm not keen on the Skyteam colour scheme, but that was until I saw this ! You've absolutely nailed it IMHO.

Constructive criticism - Yes ! We need to see more of your finished builds.

mike

• Like 1

.... using Daco detail for doors, windows, etc.

Tim, just for your information I tried using the silver wing leading edge decals from the Daco detail set on a previous Revell model and they were useless - very inaccurate and poor fitting. Not up to Danny's usual standards at all. On both the 736 and 739 the leading edges are masked and sprayed which was a lot easier than trying to make the Daco decals fit. They might be better on the AA kits but I wouldn't hold my breath. The rest of the detail sheet is fine (and you get a very handy photo-etch fret) but be prepared for problems if you want to use the wing leading edges .

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Ian

I removed about 1mm. The crude way I did it was to cut away the mounting lug from the undercarriage leg leaving just the tiniest sliver of plastic joining the leg and the two struts. With a little bit of carving it was then possible to superglue the leg directly into the mounting point in the wheel well. More sophisticated modellers will probably want to cut the leg below the longer strut, shorten it and rejoin it but the wheel wells are quite deep and the subterfuge isn't obvious.

I've still to work out a way of doing the retrofit but when I was exhibiting at the East of Scotland show a couple of weeks ago the 739 was "parked" alongside an unmodified 738 and the difference was quite noticeable so it's definitely worth the effort.

Edited by Skodadriver