Flyglobespan Boeing 737-600 in 1/144

Here is my latest offering - Boeing 737-600 G-CDKD in the colours of now defunct Scottish airline Flyglobespan.

During its relatively short life Flyglobespan operated a motley collection of second-hand 737s including a quartet of ex-SAS -600s which were active between 2005 and 2008. Initially G-CDKD flew in a strange hybrid SAS/Flyglobespan livery but the model shows her after she had been fully repainted into the airline’s attractive red and white scheme.

I used the leftovers from a 737-900 conversion which the -600 overtook on the workbench. Engines are the new BraZ items which arrived on the market at just the right moment and saved repeating the tedious re-working of the kit parts which I’d already done for the -900. The only other modification was shortening the main undercarriage legs to improve the sit.

Paint is by Halfords - Appliance White, Vauxhall Flame Red and Racking Grey - decanted and airbrushed in accordance with my usual practice. Natural metal is done with various Tamiya and Revell acrylics.

I hesitate to re-ignite the debate over the true colour of Boeing Gray but the general consensus seems to be that FS16515 (Canadian Voodoo Gray) is the closest match. Halfords Racking Grey matches Xtracolor Voodoo Gray X150 to the point that the Xtracolor paint can be used for brush touch ups. After trying it on G-CDKD, Racking Grey is going to become my standard “Boeing” grey from now on.

Decals are by Drawdecal supplemented by the kit (Air Berlin) sheet and some bits from the spares box. It’s a pity that Greg prints the windows as part of the titles because it means you’re stuck with the incorrect Revell window height. I also had to do some cutting and splicing of the door decals for the left side which are significantly too tall for the kit doors. Otherwise the decals are well up the expected standard.

Several photos of the real G-CDKD show the tail decal(?) peeling to reveal the SAS blue underneath like so: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Flyglobespan/Boeing-737-683/1104458/L/&sid=a5b93a534fc67c4ed39681f708447f6e

but I felt that would be carrying authenticity too far!

Thanks for looking

Dave

http://35833910441_4906d15a71_k.jpgSAM_0017 by David Griffiths, on Flickr

http://35833911761_bd4ea14f8f_k.jpgSAM_0021 by David Griffiths, on Flickr

http://35577389330_24f9140c11_k.jpgSAM_0020 by David Griffiths, on Flickr

http://35833909191_7927be86bf_k.jpgSAM_0019 by David Griffiths, on Flickr

Edited by Skodadriver
Bl**dy Photobucket
  • Like 16

Very nice! I've always rather liked the -600. :coolio:

The local SAS flight into Aberdeen seems to be mainly -600 models these days. Before that it was -500's.

Mike. :)

• Like 1

Very nicely done indeed Dave - your usual museum quality work in my opinion. Enough colour all around too that it can get away without a formal cheat line. I've long seen that Canadian Voodoo Grey is the accepted Boeing grey, but have never found it in a rattlecan, and have resorted to Flat Gull grey for my Boeings.

Beautiful work.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Another nice model.

Thanks for the tip about Boeing grey and the closest Halfords match.

The Braz engines look great too; I've been away overseas working for 6 months and ordered them at the beginning of the year but haven't had the chance to use them yet.

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind comments everybody - much appreciated.

Jeff - if you go looking for Halfords Racking Grey, be aware that it's an enamel (a very fast-drying enamel) and usually lives with the factory/workshop paints rather than the car colours. For safety I give it a coat of Klear before spraying "standard" Halfords or Tamiya acrylic over it. The RAL number is 7035 if that's of any interest.

^ ok thanks, I was wondering why I wasn't really familiar with the name.

Now I'm back (for a short while) I've got so many models I can't wait to start, with the Revell 737 and Braz engines top of the list.

I must seek out some Halfords racking grey first.

Thanks

Jeff

Very attractive, it must have been quite a masking job! Red bordering white must be one of the hardest to do sucessfully as even the slightest 'fuzz' stands out like a sore thumb. Looks like you got it perfect.

That must be quite a line up of NG 737's you are building!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Thanks John.

The masking was fiddly but not too difficult. I did it by eye and there was some inevitable re-masking and touching up but overall it didn't go too badly.

I have a kit laid aside to build an Easyjet 737-700 but I don't expect to finish it this year.

This is a lovely scheme and you've done it a great justice, a gorgeous model. I have this in FSX and used to do a lot of flying in it due to liking the scheme...not quite up there with a red tail BA, but a close second ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Dave,

Sorry I missed this first time round. Superb job!

Those Bra.Z engines really improve the appearance no end don't they? :goodjob: I wonder how they compare with Kurt's NG engines?

I've always liked the Flyglobespan livery, I remember seeing them all the time at GLA when I lived nearby about 10 years ago.

I was going to finish one of my Revell 737-800s in the Draw Decal Flyglobespan livery but it's the incorporated window/livery issue which puts me off as I like to use Authentic Airliners windows and now I'm even more put off learning they are too low also! You'd have thought Greg would have printed them the right height, maybe he didn't realise.

Also going to get some Racking grey too next time I'm at Halfords. Thanks for that tip :thumbsup2:

Looking forward to your easyjet 737-700. I've got one somewhere in the loft which I must dig out and photograph one of these days.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks Ian. The 737-700 is under way. The fuselage is cut down and assembled but I'm going to follow my usual habit of letting it "mature" for a few months in case any of the joints sag, crack or otherwise misbehave. Much easier to sort problems before the paint and decals are on!

Incidentally since I took the photos for this thread I've removed the decal "pitots" from both the -600 and the -900. The more I looked at them the less I liked them.