Marines' F/A-18A+ Hornet - weapon and engine

Solo

I have got questions regarding jets like this one:

f18reddevil_20080322.jpg

First is about A/G weapons.

Is it possible for this A+ version to carry AGM-65 Maverick missiles?

Or maybe this kind of weapon is suitable only for C version?

If so, what kind of A/G weapons are proper for Marines' version of this jet?

And second question regarding engines.

According to my best knowledge, the A (and I think also A+) and C Hornets have got the same engine, with only small differences (but I am not sure this information).

May I use resin exhaust nozzles designed for model of F/A-18C to F/A-18A+ model?

I have got questions regarding jets like this one:

f18reddevil_20080322.jpg

First is about A/G weapons.

Is it possible for this A+ version to carry AGM-65 Maverick missiles?

Or maybe this kind of weapon is suitable only for C version?

If so, what kind of A/G weapons are proper for Marines' version of this jet?

And second question regarding engines.

According to my best knowledge, the A (and I think also A+) and C Hornets have got the same engine, with only small differences (but I am not sure this information).

May I use resin exhaust nozzles designed for model of F/A-18C to F/A-18A+ model?

F/A-18A always had the ability to fire the Maverick, however it originally could only fire the TV version. ECP583 gave it basically all of the F/A-18C's capabilities in terms of weapons. Typically you'd see JDAMs, paveway and mavericks... usually in the 500~1000lbs class and with tanks. I'd search the web for reference photos.

I believe the engines have no real external differences, though there are significant internal ones. I could be wrong however.

• Like 1

The A and C have slightly different engines internally but no external changes to the nozzles. For weapons, I believe that on ops over the Middle East the GBU-38 JDAM, GBU-12 and AGM-65E are carried. The A+/C models tend to have one tank on the centreline pylon and one on the right inboard pylon. Some info here

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=250

hth

Stephen

• Like 1

Actually, the basic GE 404 Engine remained the same from the A-C Hornets, aside from the AFT-Control to DEC upgrades during the 90s; though nothing notable modeling wise. Externally, the original 404 had straight turkey feathers while later (now current) GE 404 Exhaust Nozzles went to a "notched" turkey feather.The first photo shows the straight/original F-18 Turkey feathers and the second; notched type.

valions_f_18a_by_f16crewchief-d2ztcy0.jp

tumblr_lhfwvejImm1qhbe1go1_500.jpg

If you look closely, you will note that this Hornet has both types nozzles installed.

image048.jpg

Edited by Mike V
  • Like 4

GBU-10 is unlikely with AGM-65 and/or GBU-38. The former is more likely to be used when going for a specific, fixed target while the Maverick and GBU-38 are likely to be seen on a jet tasked with CAS or 'target of opportunity' missions. If you want an LGB on with the AGM-65 and GBU-38, put a GBU-12 500-lb LGB on. Although, the norm seems to be to fit 2 tanks, centerline and right inboard pylons, so that only leaves 3 places to put weapons - 2 AGM-65 + GBU-38 + GBU-12 won't all fit, so one of those weapons will have to go - maybe go with a single AGM-65 with the other 2?

• Like 1

I forgot to write, that regarding weapon I am limited to resin ones, like Eduard's or North Star Models, and weare talking about 1/72.

Following that I can find only AGM-65 Maverick (North Star Models), GBU-10 (Eduard), and GBU-38 (Arma Hobby).

I know that I have only 3 pylons for weapon (it is really strange such only one tank underwing), so what about 2xAGM-65 plus 1xGBU-38, or 2xAGM-65 plus 1xGBU-10?

Does it make any sense?

Yes, I know that.
It is strange such asymmetrical loadout, but I have no choice.

I decided to make such total loadout for this model:

2xAGM:-65

1xGBU-38

2xAIM-9L/M

2xfuel tank (centerline and right pylon)

AAS-38 Flir pod

AAR-50 Tins pod.

I hope this loadout makes sense.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen, I have question, regarding new, June weapon release of Eduard.

As I know, the GBU-49 Paveway II bomb is just modified GBU-12 bomb (am I right)?

May I use it for my Hornet A+?

How to you think?