Aermacchi MB.339A 1/72 Italeri

Hi folks,

this is the MB.339A flown by Teniente Owen Crippa on reconnaisance mission over San Carlos on 21st May 1982 when he damaged the HMS Argonaut.

The Italeri kit was rescribed and Pavla resin cockpit and vacform canopy has been used. The complete build will be featured in my 'modelling manual' publication that is due soon.

Cheers

Libor

MB339A_02_zps9cqcmi5l.jpg

MB339A_01_zpshrifvj6l.jpg

MB339A_03_zpsber9yync.jpg

• Like 41

Lovely work, I've got one of these in the stash to add to my falklands collection, I hope I can do it as much justice as you have here!

Rich

Wow! I always felt that this old kit had potential, but this proves it. If the kit had such finely recessed panel lines as your model, the supermodel kit would easily be a competitive kit today. As it is, it needs a maestro such as yourself to add the level of finesse seen here!

Out of interest, I think there is some controversy regarding FAA camo colors used on this aircraft. Can I ask what paints did you use?

Will

Thank you gentleman for kind comments!

I agree this kit has potential and with some extra work the final result is very rewarding. In my Modelling guide I'll present how to update it, including rescribing techniques which I believe are suitable for most modellers!

As for the colours, I tried to match the coloured photographs in the Rivas book, although they differ a bit on each shot. I used GSI H302 Green and H79 Sand out of the bottle.

Cheers

Libor

• Like 1

Yes,a very menacing looking Argentinian Aermacchi with the appropriate set of cannons and rocket pods.If you had not mentioned about the scale,i would have thought it's the bigger kit from Frem.By the way,I do think you should lower all the undercarriages a little bit as I remember the bottom part of the cannon pods were less than a feet from the ground (Malaysian examples)!

• 1 year later...

Outstanding model! A beautiful masterpiece, as usual with Libor's work. :thumbsup:

Just an observation: Crippa's 339 was armed with ZUNI rocket pods, not Matra, and have all four hardpoints installed. During the attack on HMS Argonaut, apparently just two ZUNI pods were carried on the inboard pylons.

Grippa.jpg

Fortunatelly it's an easy fix, and the pods are available at Hasegawa Weapons Set X72-1.