Italeri 1/32nd Sopwith Camel and Nieuport 17

Steve Coombs

Just seen these on the Hannants website. Any gen on their provenance? I suspect a Hobbycraft/Academy rebox, but am willing to be proven wrong.

I*ve still got half-a-dozen WNW kits in the stash, so might not make an immediate dash for these.

If the Camel is a rebox of the more recent "Aces" or "Clerget" Hobbycraft kits, or even better a single box with both sets of optional parts and a decent range of decals, then it's a no brainer. That kit, hard to find as it now is, is allegedly the reason why there's no WNW Camel, because the subject already exists to a high standard...

Bestest,

M.

Steve, the kits are the HC ones. The Camel is pre-Clerget/le Rhone kits with the major problems (shape errors, up-side down Vickers, heavy detailing, etc).

Matthew, WNW are working on a Camel, according to an interview with Richard. When it's going to be released is the big question.

Cheers.

Dal.

G'day, Gene.

No idea, I'm afraid. I've seen a couple of posts on different boards saying that there's been some minor changes, but I have no idea what they were. Someone on the WWWI Aircraft Models forum may be able to tell you, mate.

Dal.

PS Steve, people have been waiting (more or less) patiently for about two years for the WNW Camel. I know when it will be issued- when I'm 3/4 of the way through building my HC Clerget kit.

• 4 weeks later...

Dal,

Was the original Nieuport also reworked at some point?

Gene K

I bought both of them, since they are at a bargain price and the decals are truly extraordinary.

The Camel is the old Hobbycraft one, and so it is not up to today's standards, but I considered that an aftermarket decal sheet would haven't been cheaper.

They somehow REWORKED the Ni 17, at least comparing the mold with some older HC and a Mania boxings that I have here at hand, but without changing the shape or on the details, they just added some sprue around the wings and a plastic ring around the engine collectors (that helps in avoiding accidental damage to the thin tubes when the model is stored)

The quality of the plastic of these Italeri models seems a little better better than HC's one, a little softer and less brittler, but I have still to start working on them so I cannot be 100% sure - it is an eyesight appearance, not more.

Edited by ermeio