+++ FINISHED! +++ Revell Fokker Dr.I triplane 1/72 (Red Baron)

Dear Fellow Modellers,

After completing my Grumman Duck (RFI here) I got the "biplane bug"... Then I read a favourable build review in Model Aircraft Magazine's December 2014 issue of the Revell Fokker Dr.I triplane (Red Baron's triplane, of course), which also classified it as an easy build, and thought: "Why not build a simple and quick triplane, in between more complicated models?".

So, recently I went to my local hobby shop and got this for 10,50 €:

y4mgzRQgCOijyNjNN2OucQJQjcGIBD6zN_kkK1Xu

IMAG1571

Just two red sprues and a small decal sheet.

Since I mainly use Gunze Mr. Hobby paints and the instructions have all the painting references using Revell paints, I went to Eduard's website and downloaded an instruction sheet for one of their Red Baron triplanes.

Then I applied white primer to all parts, still in the sprues. Red plastic is not the best option for painting colours other than red... I used Tamiya's flat white acrylic paint as primer. It took several light layers to make the red less visible:

y4m3LOWEkTxAks0BN5rusOnZfxTPmF2P870GF3iD

IMAG1588

y4mVUU9OCh900Yq0jIeC6vTicQfChPFa90BoQ4BI

IMAG1589

This was done by the end of March. I left the kit alone for about a month and two weeks ago got back to it.

I cut off most of the parts off the sprues, cleaned the molding lines and a bit of flash (not much really) and glued the parts to toothpicks with a drop of super-glue. I do this in order to achieve a better paint finish of small parts at first attempt, because I can choose the best point of contact to hold each part on the toothpick and don't have to touch them until they're finished. With the parts on toothpicks, I applied additional layers of white primer, to cover the cleaned up spots:

y4mJs37iqeHwiQAd4HqpaLuFEqUrq2VTz3dD3Anx

IMAG1678

To keep things simple and quick, this will be a purely OOB build (really!) and I'll only use acrylic paints (no Alclad for metallic parts).

I started painting the small parts, progressing from lighter to darker colours, in order to optimise airbrush time (less cleaning needed between colours).

Here are the cockpit parts already painted. This aircraft was mostly made of wood and canvas, which shows in the colours of the parts:

y4mPhcnjLn3xizK6hWltASbAXkEqGdwmLFzfm8w7

IMAG1705

The rims of the wheels, some pieces that where installed under the wings and the stirrup where also painted:

y4mPhcnjLn3xizK6hWltASbAXkEqGdwmLFzfm8w7

IMAG1706

After this I painted the cockpit walls, which are nicely detailed in the kit. First, the wood brown colour:

y4mDXm4Katow5LtjrOnzl7FvchKsbxabrQAArLrF

IMAG1707

y4mNR-JT-BlhZHseVcHOTwCsxb3zw-QAE4aE37DB

IMAG1708

This was masked before painting the second interior colour. Started by applying thin strips of masking tape to clearly define the edges of the area to be protected:

y4mc-WmK2QD8KmUEIs5gcuRVDq0uBQ4TFuxj1Kj8

IMAG1715

Then I filled the interior with tape:

y4mqzdYTvCetANc0uM41Pnk5xpZOOXIrBpLECq-Q

IMAG1716

This was done to the other half of the fuselage, of course.

After painting the second colour (Olive Drab) and removing the tape, this was the result:

y4m8_pX0ivAGI8D5jNnT9xGozu1EjlTJOiVTgs1p

IMAG1720

To finish the cockpit walls, I used a paint brush to paint the ribs (Green-Gray) and the instrumentation / throttle quadrant (blacks, dark iron), resulting in this:

y4mdo7SJXBRX_g_dUvVQvEahpkTmy1O-WDymj22Z

IMAG1727

Most of it won't be visible after closing the fuselage, but still... :banghead:

The last colours to apply with the airbrush were the metallic colours (silver, black metal), to the machine guns, engine parts, propeller centre,...:

y4mwJFNLELZCvTdgNEiFOe7xJfrTv37ykeCXUgtN

IMAG1728

y4mBjUcReU3rwxwjxf2TvoAPA4RdiKneFyE4mcqr

IMAG1730

My last action was a dry-fit of the fuselage and wings to determine the best building / painting sequence. The idea is to make painting of the main parts as easy as possible and minimise damages to painting due to seam treatment.

Here is the fuselage and the lower and middle wing dry-fitted:

y4mf9tHpVb6LdCK9DGfomyJvH6dLD4owyj7fg7J2

IMAG1721

Now with the struts in place:

y4mlcHGW1oCWwNDeL7unfYc1rJnSRbNP2Mej14z2

IMAG1722

and now with the top wing in place:

y4mNx2J2eUzjHcDor72mbbgNLWEQcZuQMeuelL6L

IMAG1723

It seems the best sequence is:

• close fuselage
  • glue tail plane and fin and treat seams
  • glue middle wing with struts and treat seams
  • paint fuselage and middle wing
  • paint lower wing
  • glue lower wing and treat seams (these should be visible, like in the real plane)
  • paint upper wing
  • glue upper wing

So, this should be enough for now. I haven't progressed further than this yet.

Looking forward to your comments, as always.

Jaime

• Like 10

I have this kit, having never made a biplane I'll be looking for tips.

I believe this is a good first option for someone considering building a WWI aircraft, because it is very simple with almost no rigging. The only complication is the three wings.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Since I'm building the Fokker "in between" my other builds, I haven't progressed much lately.

I've applied a dark wash to the cockpit walls and small parts, using Vallejo's acrylic "Oiled Earth" wash.

The following picture is not very clear, but the small parts look now a bit darker and worn:

y4mOEgzEjH6lEnUnhvr5h52fAImJbBIBAWyV0Cc1

IMAG1799

While I was looking for references on this aircraft on the web, I found that the Eduard instructions I was using seem to be wrong regading the engine part colours. They direct us to paint aluminium on parts that should be dark metal and vice-versa. So, I corrected this:

y4m4HC1gX3fvScEbjcq7hnttErJXkd7mGJrwf0hL

IMAG1807

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 6

EXCELLENT ..SUPER start to a beautiful aircraft. .

:wow:

HOUSTON, thanks for your kind words.

be careful with the undercarriage struts...broke mine...but then I did have trouble seeing them

FalkeEins, thanks for the advice. The parts are really small. I'll be extra careful.

Cheers

Jaime

• 5 months later...

It,s a cracking little kit this one Ideal for a lot of folk as not a lot of rigging,look forward to your progress Jaime,hope you dont mind the

link here,s mine from a year or two back http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234961194-der-rote-flieger/

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

It,s a cracking little kit this one Ideal for a lot of folk as not a lot of rigging,look forward to your progress Jaime,hope you dont mind the

link here,s mine from a year or two back http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234961194-der-rote-flieger/

Thanks for your interest and the link Steve, your Fokker looks great! How did you weather it? Did you dry brush the ribs?

Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Thanks Mish, I hope to get back to it in the next few weeks.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thank's Jaime,yes dry brushed just lightly to bring out the detail,and I noticed on a real sized replica the difference between the

red on the fabric airframe and metal engine cowl so satin coated the cowl just to show a slight difference.

• Like 1

Thanks, Steve. That's good to know the finish difference between the engine cowling and the fabric cover. What colour did you use for the dry brushing?

Thanks, Steve. That's good to know the finish difference between the engine cowling and the fabric cover. What colour did you use for the dry brushing?

Just flat white but dried out the brush thoroughly Jaime,so almost powdered on if that makes sense.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve. I was thinking about using a mix of red and orange, just to lighten the red a bit, as I read in a Model Aircraft Magazine issue.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

I remember you starting this Jamie... If it turns out anything near your duck (must build one of them one day... Might do a boat plane period... Fond memories) then it will be a corker.

Glad its in here.

Should throw mine in really!

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks for your interest Rob :)

By all means start you Duck! It's a tricky old kit but with patience it can be turned out into a nice model.

Cheers

Jaime

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

This one has been on hold since mid-May. I got stuck in doing the seatbelts with masking tape and, then, other builds got in the way. Anyway, at the time I did mark the seatbelts on tape and even painted them, but they stood on the cutting mat till now. I also had prepared some electric wire and painted it silver, to do the buckles, as shown here:

y4mc0MtjPAWBu7qtYe0tEp4e9RkdAfQQuTCZMan3

IMAG2009

y4mB6I8lbojDH8KZarIy198Glslgl06lF2nsQ7VL

IMAG2014

During the last weekend, I finally got to finish the seatbelts. Here they are, near the seat and rear bulkhead:

y4mkQyVpVBXiHl3ulhhMYlWpuQ50SeDdSz7yFGFd

IMAG2978

First, I applied the seatbelts on the seat:

y4mbYIZ_9-IFwMuQYYIfSriw-tvtvXse6AAIUvkD

IMAG2979

Then, I cut and bent pieces of wire to make the buckles:

y4mxUxpN2N42wHt6LH6h8Gu0f18yegGv80V74f0M

IMAG2980

These were glued in place with CA. The following pictures show the result:

y4mhXdhwpWerJnHxutVlbPKVEYAlr5uxRkT7LnzD

IMAG2981

y4mtRhJWQimnz3_a_EPyuAJgkeYGb4BoBcDYaPNs

IMAG2982

Next, I had to finish the cockpit and close the fuselage. Here are the components:

y4m4oy1JIqp1jOXsz0d7aFIc07ru4fXYzO9r1Q42

IMAG2984

The cockpit base, seat and rear bulkhead were glued to the port fuselage half:

y4mCEqqhBb-2UhEP9cRxQjJwTeXP7XhG_In5-69V

IMAG2986

Then, the fuselage was closed:

y4mF-M18wJhyOeSD3TgOkyifH8B6uPAUO5PUhgsB

y4mF-M18wJhyOeSD3TgOkyifH8B6uPAUO5PUhgsB

y4mYQ_fAfCOXp0RnMwfulfr9rcYdlg7Kdpl8AgSp

IMAG2990

Big clothes pegs were used to keep things tight while the glue cured:

y4me1RvrO11-kxCL-t5_wB7sr--VAyDfvAnTf87F

IMAG2991

The joins were sanded and polished and the lower wing glued in place:

y4mSE1hozWzO_C3i4Mt7iVJirnRj2EuFWQ2l-dAo

IMAG2998

In a previous post I said the middle wing should be glued in place first, in order to ease the treatment of joins. However, closer inspection of schemes and pictures shown that these joins were a feature of the aircraft. On the other hand, due to the installation of the machine guns, it will be easier to paint the middle wing first and glue it in place latter. That's why I decided to apply the lower wing first.

Then, the horizontal stabilisers were glued in place:

y4m1AkLA1zgm4sLSA-PdZ5nGN9iEiNg_Fr3vzvME

IMAG2999

as well as the diagonal braces between the stabilisers and the fuselage:

y4mgz_uTjVIa32FhyJsuCT4hUV2gfKGCF4ImIfTz

IMAG3000

That's all for now. Thanks for looking:

Jaime

• Like 7