'Memphis Belle' B-17f Revell 1/72 (Pic heavy)

All your work and fun could very well disapear in the end with that horrible nose cone. Clear parts on the model are like eyes on a portrait. Pavla is the only game in town but it saves the day. Did you check my B-17G?

• Like 1

All your work and fun could very well disapear in the end with that horrible nose cone. Clear parts on the model are like eyes on a portrait.

Hopefully the B-17 will be equivalent to a nude, then. That should obviate the need for replacement clear parts.

• Like 2

Morning all!

Thanks Simon and Sean. I'm still pleased with the belts; not up to 'Master BM Standards' but still pleased.

Thanks Nigel - very kind, and a very kind offer of help which you may later regret!

Thanks MG - welcome back (yay!) and sorry to hear about the pizza after-effects. I'm an occasional food-induced reflux sufferer too (greasy pastry to be avoided) so I sympathise. Oh, and score 1, fnaar fnaar!

Thanks Josip. I did see your G (very nice) but couldn't find the WiP. Why doesn't BM's search find anything with "B-17" in it? Too short? Anyway, as an OOB man I always have pathetic 'following orders' excuses.

Thanks PC. Now you've got me thinking about nudes... sorry, drifted off for a bit there. (BTW remember those expensive drill bits I bought? It's not very often you're wrong PC, and you were right again! Broke one drilling out the nose)

My mornings are settling into a routine now. Old chap visit to the bathroom, into 'the office' with my first cuppa (thanks Darling!) to check last night's efforts, grunt and onto BM for a 'chat' whilst drinking my tea. Work and modelling come later (in the order during the week I'm afraid).

Last night's progress was a little 'Curate's Egg'. What was I doing? Can you guess? Turrets! Still. I pondered these bits in 'analysis paralysis' for some time:

74811083-AA59-4D9C-864F-8BB88752F537_zps

I re-read Christer's thread again. I think I should issue a warning for future builders here - step 35 shows the round green part (#165) with two holes in the back and it would be easy to fit it with the holes inside and find, much later, that there's nowhere to put the barrels. There are no holes in the back. Christer's right that the guns don't fit around the armour plate and, given his comment that "nothing can be seen once it's glued to the airframe" I left the guns out. No one will ever know.

Some people say that the ball turret is a small model in its own right. I agree. Like a short run model; flash, poor fit, unclear instructions... ah the memories:

600EA048-54C7-4D8E-8E6C-31EE8ABD6F87_zps

Those ammo boxes are a fiddle to fit and the instructions unclear that you have to wiggle the belts under the cross bar and then twist grunt fiddle grunt push and (anglo-saxon) 'encourage' them to sit correctly (clamp and TET). Warning - there are some dents in the clear and the instructions show some dents to locate the end of the belts. Do not glue these - it's another confusing diagram.

Finally (yes, that is supposed to sound ominous) I decided I needed to paint the ball NOW and, possibly, apply the transfers. That meant decanting some paint from the rattle can (gulp). It was late. I found a small (10ml) bottle from my vaping fluid (I collect these too!) and thought "I can't be bothered with the straw / clingfilm thing, I'll use Stew's 'angled' method". So I took the top off the bottle, put the can to the hole (ooh, the tension!), angled at 45o to avoid blow back (a personal first avoiding that, fnaar fnaar) and pressed the button.

If this were a TV soap opera (like 'Eastenders') that's where this episode would end (dun, dun, dun, dun dun, dun dun dun*) Would I be so cruel? No.

Everything went well, at first. Only a bit of backspray on my be-gloved fingers. Heck that bottle's getting VERY cold. Is there any paint in there? (Tension) The inside of the bottle's nicely painted (!!) so I can't see. Shake it a bit. There seems to be some paint in there (and I only need a bit). DONE! All I need to do now is refit the little spout to the bottle...

E771E2B3-58F6-4690-B48D-8221CD39F258_zps

Ah. Squirted all over the spray booth. So that's what they mean when they say "let it de-gass for a while". How long's 'a while'? I could see the paint 'puffing' in the spout so I rested the top on and left it overnight. We'll see later whether there's enough paint and how it airbrushes (dun, dun etc).

Thanks for looking.

* I counted those twice and I'm still not sure it's right. Apologies to our non-UK readers who have no idea what that's about. Here's the shortest example I could find.

• Like 4

I actually envy you as I would love to make another B-17, but this time a F model. Sadly i lack time.

The ball turret lacks side windows and the front ones are too long. Some tape should take care of this.

• Like 1

Thanks Josip. Too late for the turret as you'll see below, but thanks for the tip.

Work this morning but I have just done something... on the ball turret. I had given it a coat of VMA IG (in case you can see through the 'glass') and that showed up the faults, of course:

33A3B60E-C046-423A-A9A4-A5D0AD3C85D0_zps3AF8560C-7950-44EA-9E63-B4907B5DEB2F_zps

Feeling like Giorgetto Giugiaro at the Triumph TR7 launch*. Cleaned it off (some was canopy glue but a lot was flash / fit). Out with the decanted AS7 and on with a wet coat:

A00E4A8D-69B4-4DB7-A854-3E0FCAD12446_zps0B0D3501-0DAE-4D8B-A4AD-1C42A349763B_zps

Sprayed nicely, but it smells, a lot. When I came to clean my AB the stuff in the cup was really hard to remove and a quick strip down showed a sticky needle:

14EC01F9-ED21-4798-8598-2B5CB77C297D_zps

So, hard to decant, smells and sticks in the airbrush - I guess the rattle can paint is different so I've ordered a pot of XF-53.

To digress, do you get the problem I had when ordering paint online? £1.44 for the paint but, because it's, er, paint it has to come by courier - £6.99 shipping. "I'm not paying that just to ship a pot of paint" so you look for something else to order. Brass tube for Stew's pitot / cannon tip (thanks Stew), Xtracrylix Interior Green to replace my poor old Humbrol enamel (for brushing). Still not enough. Their range of 1/72 WWII kits isn't that huge so ended up ordering a Revell 1:72 Me P.1099B Heavy Armour after checking BM - Matt did a WiP here. What is it with me and weird German aircraft? Oh well.

More later!

* Giugiaro was a super car designer in the 70s. When he saw the Triumph TR7 at the Geneva motor show in 1975, he is said to have paused to take a long look at it, pondering its styling, looked at it in a puzzled way and then walked around the car only to say, ‘Oh my God! They’ve done it to the other side as well.’

• Like 5

Based on my experience with the B-24, one of the great things about building one of the four-engined heavies is that they're so big, even by heathen 1/48 scale standards, that people rarely notice if something's amiss with the turrets.

It's not very often you're wrong PC...

I've waited my whole life to read those words.

• Like 1

Crist Ced I only looked away for a second!!

Great work on the turrets! And internals your ammo belts fit the bill perfectly, however do you not feel you are on the edge of a precipice, of on the edge of a well greased slop as you may get proud of your good work and slip out of your box and tumble into the unknown world of people like mike, fozzy and Nigel filled with strip after strip styrene and scratch building galoure! .... Hmmm quiet day I may have over done it but the ammo belt are cracking.

MG we will support you on the food front to keep your heart in check! We won't mention the bad stuff... I'm just off to scoff flax seeds and have a green smoothie.

Keep it up Ced

Rob

• Like 2

Ooo, just found out that the 'Mutliquote' button replies in the order you click the entries - cool! (Shouldn't say 'cool' at my age, sorry)

Thanks Mike and Rob. Very kind. I assure you that any leaning towards 'proper modelling' on my part is illusionary... as a poor workman blames his tools, I'm sort of the other way round - the right tools, the right kit and a bit of patience and that's it from me (see below).

Thanks bbuddeb, especially for that image. I was going to try a clever comment on whether that Flying Fortress was a 'F' or a 'G' but I've got nothing... I will keep this in mind though as 'the look I was going for' should my pathetic efforts let me down later. OK, that was too modest but hey, it's hard to be humble.

PC you're welcome - I'm sure it won't be the last compliment you get (this week).

So, as I was saying, "...a bit of patience...". I had a bit today and did some more masking (good lord how much more is there on that sheet!!!). If I thought the ball turret was "a little model on its own" then so is that rear turret:

D5B004CA-E1D0-468D-8ED8-875D6013CF67_zpsCDE592C6-9730-48AE-B3C5-D0F7910B5A71_zps

That Maskol shows an omission on the mask but all my patience has gone now so who cares - not me!. For goodness sake, most whole kit canopies don't have that many bits to mask. I'm going to do something easy next, I really am.

The rest of the steps before close up involve more masking of canopies so I thought I'd skip a few steps and do some glueing. Wing bits off the sprues and here's the warped wing everyone talks about:

F515067A-9455-49CE-A1FC-91AC5BC705CA_zps

Ha! Call that warped! It has locating pins and everything!

Anyway, mojo's a bit low now so I may have a break this evening and do something that doesn't involve a magnifying headband and pointy tweezers. And maybe some nice red wine. Again.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

Thanks Simon! A truism on masking but you know what they say - "once you've gone airbrush you can't go back (except to do little bits of touching up, and weathering. Oh, and to use Stew's technique of painting the camo contrast to save masking)". Honestly, some of these 'sayings' are just plain silly :)

First I must apologise chaps - Work has sucked the joy out of me* recently so apologies if I'm sounding grumpy in my posts. It's because I'm grumpy. :(

Bit cheerier this morning as I've just crafted what I think is a well worded reply** to an email sent to me at 10:30 last night by an a**hole one of our supplier's 'managers' who wants to make his number this month and blow anything else* - like clients, and supplier relationships, integrity, politeness and honesty. I think that's probably all of it.

Modelling is a relaxation for me. Modelling is a relaxation for me. One more time. Modelling is a relaxation for me. OK, nearly there (holds wrist and) "Calm, calm" (what TV programme did that come from?)

As a rest from masking I've started glueing things on the wings. There is a problem with the instructions covering these parts:

3C5DEC43-BC66-4FF7-AC3E-423F39625AA6_zps26210442-892D-46BC-9344-A38BB577AE8A_zps

Andy warned about this in his post here but I didn't think Revell would get the part numbers reversed so I spent some time looking at Andy's photo and the parts I had cut off (one side at a time - Andy says don't get them mixed up and he's right, again) and thinking "Huh?" and other, more articulate things. Then I thought "Surely Revell haven't mis-numered the parts?". They had, and stop calling me Shirley. There's also an ejector mark on one wing where these parts go. This means that you fit one side (port wing) and it goes 'click' and then you try the other part and it wobbles. "What have I done?" you think, and then you look closer and think "Surely Revell haven't left an ejector mark in one wing that isn't there in the other?" They have and look, stop calling me Shirley! This sort of thing can make you feel paranoid - it's because they're out to get you.

I shall address these issues later. When I'm sure I'm calm. Grumpy, Dremel tools and Dentist's burrs do not mix IMHO. I may even do some more fiddly masking on the turrets - I've done the first 75 so only another 1,298 to go. :)

* Ooh, a Dbl-E, score 1, fnaar fnaar.

** And Mrs B agrees and she's an English teacher. Thanks teach!

• Like 2

Oh, sorry, I forgot...

I have reluctantly ventured into 'Satan Scale Land' due to Rob's thread on an enormous thing that looks like a model of a Spitfire but is obviously just... well, I don't know what to say. :)

I gave the excuse that I was only there to watch "... because I want an easy build next and I'm considering a Malta Spit". Sorry PC, tactless and I beg your forgiveness.

Anyway, what I meant was that I have several good reasons for choosing this:

• everyone else is building Spitfires and I want to build one now ("What a shining wit", as Mr Spooner would say)
  • the kit has the fewest lessist smallest number of parts of any kit in my stash
  • Malta because it's one of the schemes and "The Malta Story" was on tele (telly?) recently and I have it recorded it to watch soon (Alec Guinness and Jack Hawkins - yes!) I can pick up some detailing tips from the film as they're always realistic. And some clarification on the aircraft colours*.

It's this kit:

258748-13150-60.jpg

Look - "No 001"!

Two sprues, errors in the schemes (e.g. no numbers for some colours and only Model Master paint numbers where they are there, some of which aren't made any more so are not on the conversion charts) and the instructions ("Version A - fit stubby wings" and the scheme shows stubby wings for Version B ) but NO TURRETS! And "Figure not included" - mixed feelings on that, actually.

Anyway, I may do this 'in thread' a la Vampire as I won't be trying very hard and I intend to use up some of my VMA colours and, wait for it, gulp, choose the colours I like best. It'll be 'bluey' underneath and 'brown and sandy' on top. So there!

* Just kidding, it's a black and white film. I thought of that 'witticism' last night. Then I thought "Why not build a Spitfire exactly the same as the reference photos? Sort of Greyscale?". That'd be really accurate and will get the rivet counters going! Then I came to my senses and had some more wine. Drink responsibly - no shouting.

• Like 1

Steady as she goes Ced. I'm confident you'll get there in the end! Having said that it doesn't look like i'll be tackeling the "G" model anytime soon. The Italieri Spitfire is a good kit, and should prove relaxing after this. All the best. Greg

• Like 1

Ced, the turrets can wait if you do not intend to have them movable! Just a few simple mods that needs to be made for that.

Everything feels a lot better once the airframe is mated and it starts to look like an airplane, and just not an excuse to have a lot of parts in a pile.

I'm delighted that my old WIP can have some use!

(and I get a strange urge to do another Fort. I need to lie down for a while and focus my mind on models, and not on the nose-art)

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 1

Oh, those tropical filters - they define the word ungainly. Sort of turns the Spitfire from a young blade about town into a grumpy old man who has just sucked on some lemons.

• Like 3

Andy warned about this in his post here but I didn't think Revell would get the part numbers reversed so I spent some time looking at Andy's photo and the parts I had cut off (one side at a time - Andy says don't get them mixed up and he's right, again) and thinking "Huh?" and other, more articulate things. Then I thought "Surely Revell haven't mis-numered the parts?". They had, and stop calling me Shirley.

The mis-numbering is the bit that really confused me & the diagram is surely wrong. I resorted to sticking the parts together & then trying to work out how they fitted to the wing. Of course I only showed a photo & didn't explain what the issue was, as I didn't want to spoil the fun.

I reckon you're pretty much past all the gotchas now. I did leave those guns out in the tail section due to the same issue you had, you're already prepared for assembling the engines and the cowling ring.... don't forget those little filter thingies inside the wing.

The ailerons will need a bit of filing to get them to fit, and the elevators have ended very floppy on mine. I can't think of anything else - you're closer to the finish than you realise now.

Unfortunately work has been pretty hectic this week, so no progress to report yet on Sally - except I have managed to knock up a teddy bear to put in the nose. She will be finished this weekend.....

• Like 1

Cheers for the call out Ced always nice.... Even if it is for such a silly sized spitfire :)

I hope you get pulled out of your gumpy state and back on the fort.

I don't think anyone really KNOWS the colour of all Malta spits so how can you be wrong as long as your on the right lines? A fitting tribute no less. I look forward to your progress (also I want to buy the same kit)

Talking of the vamp is the happy little tike OK?

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks Greg, nearly there and I'm hoping the Spit is easier; I'm sure it will be as I won't be going for anything other than OOB!

Thanks Christer - try to control your urges! (Although another Fort build would be a good watch for us :) )

Oh, those tropical filters - they define the word ungainly. Sort of turns the Spitfire from a young blade about town into a grumpy old man who has just sucked on some lemons.

Thanks Mike - another reason why this may be good choice as that describes me to a tee, except the lemons :D

[snip]

I reckon you're pretty much past all the gotchas now. I did leave those guns out in the tail section due to the same issue you had, you're already prepared for assembling the engines and the cowling ring.... don't forget those little filter thingies inside the wing.

The ailerons will need a bit of filing to get them to fit, and the elevators have ended very floppy on mine. I can't think of anything else - you're closer to the finish than you realise now.

Thanks Andy - your tips were really useful and I'm pleased to hear that things should be easier from now on (apart from the masking!)

Cheers for the call out Ced always nice.... Even if it is for such a silly sized spitfire :)
I hope you get pulled out of your gumpy state and back on the fort.
I don't think anyone really KNOWS the colour of all Malta spits so how can you be wrong as long as your on the right lines? A fitting tribute no less. I look forward to your progress (also I want to buy the same kit)
Talking of the vamp is the happy little tike OK?
Rob

Thanks Rob! Less grumpy now, thanks, but still on a bit of a short fuse - roll on the long weekend!

The Vamp's waiting patiently in the queue to go on the ceiling, sitting on a 'stand' to protect her sensitive parts - no matter what I do she insists on reverting to a jaunty angle:

891E0312-6C01-464B-8AAD-515C3133E9E8_zps

Oh, the Italeri Spitfire. I'm not personally a fan of the kit, but the best Vb, IMO, is the rather rough AZ kit.

Thanks PC, and apologies again to you and Rob - my post wasn't supposed to imply that Malta Spits are easy, just easier. :)

Anyway, bits arrived today so no excuses!

The Revell Belle is a great kit. Took me months but only because I lost interest for 3 of them when it got to main paint.

PC I stress eat. I also eat out of boredom too. Working in a call centre means I eat a lot. I have swapped from crap loads of crap to crap loads of fruit instead. I go through about 3-4 kilos a day. But ride about 100 miles a week.

• Like 1

Hey logical! 3-4 kilos of fruit a day??!! Mrs B struggles to get me to eat 3-4 portions!

So, progress today.

Wheel wells, engine mounts and tanks fitted to wings. I painted that tank just for you - no one else is going to see it!

EBF83D56-85BD-4E71-9EA3-04307D97B023_zpsB4E72019-9C2C-4F8E-B44C-DBBD046D0F06_zps

Some fiddly bits:

A7E732EB-9736-42A8-8B61-E1234173FA19_zps2B672C37-6DBE-43B2-AF41-376BF6236F65_zps

Sometimes you just have to have the right tool. Even with the sticky stick that, um, triangle bit pinged out, dropped on the carpet and generally made a nuisance of itself. I have no idea what it is, other than a bit that fills a gap. This pipe across the top of the bay was tight at the front and loose at the back - I checked the instructions several times! Hot glue melted the other side in nicely but this one needed a little trimming.

Andy warned about putting these tiny grills in the right way round - the part they fit to glues to the leading edge and I wasn't convinced it would stay there so I made sure it was glued and held with 'Stew pegs' and let it dry first:

A2831539-A9B5-43BC-9F35-40659382CDD1_zps5F4443E1-00B6-4B5B-81CE-0C2845F9F15A_zps

Andy had also warned that the ailerons were a tight fit - mine just went in fine but I had no paint on the parts. Finally, glued the top of the wings on - the warped one needed some manipulation but the other clicked together beautifully:

62540779-4E6E-42B9-93F9-838AB06C814C_zps076961FC-8A5F-4462-99C4-9BE4DEA4E954_zps

We have wings!

I have been thinking ahead (again). I have the idea to fit the cowlings (Andy says to fit the rear one anyway) and stick the fronts on with PVA, spray the main colours with foam in the cowlings, pull off the clowning and then fit the engines. This should be easier than trying to mask the cowlings with the engines fitted. Thoughts?

Thanks for looking - nearly there!??

(I may give up on Photobucket - just had another awful editing session clicking 'save' over and over again. What a pain!)

• Like 7

Looking good Ced, I shall use this as a guide to my own when the time is right. I feel your pain regarding PB, it's

playing up on me too, got the error, press save countless times, plus it's inverting my photos, I only want to crop and

resize. But where to go, Flicker wants my mobile no., not a hope.

As for the cowlings, I paint with a brush, so I'm no help there,

Sean

• Like 1

Looks great Ced. I want to try the 48scale but the detail is supposed to be very lacking. Plus I'm not sure I have room. By the time all my 48th Yank jets are done lol.

3-4 kilos isn't hard. 2 of it's breakfast. 1 pineapple, 2 grapefruit, 2 oranges, quarter of a melon and a couple of kiwi. Then apples and oranges the rest of the day. Maybe some strawberries if I'm feeling flush.

• Like 1