'Memphis Belle' B-17f Revell 1/72 (Pic heavy)

Excellent P-51s, CedB!

Regarding metallic paints, I have nearly all Alclad colours and my experience with these paints is very good. The finish is superb, they really look like metal and are very easy to use, as long as you use the correct Alclad primers and clean the AB with cellulose thinner. I've only used their "regular shine" colours yet. I still have to try the "high shine" colours, which must be applied over a specific black primer.

Jaime

• Like 1

They look nice sir. Can I pick a small nit? Is the wing star and bar on "7" on backwards, i.e. I always believed the point of the star led, not the two feet, as it were? Not that it will make any difference once they are aloft, so apologies for mentioning it.

Thanks Julian - I do like the Airfix P-51, a nice kit.

Thanks Cookie - I'm going to try spraying the Ak, one day.

Thanks Jaime - Alclad is great, but the smell! I spray indoors so that's an issue for me. Also the Alclad showed up the smallest fault / sanding.

Thanks Jon - I've learnt something; didn't know about the 'leading point' but I do now - thanks! :)

Thanks Jaime - Alclad is great, but the smell! I spray indoors so that's an issue for me. Also the Alclad showed up the smallest fault / sanding.

Sorry about the smell... I always paint with a respirator mask in a paint booth with air extraction, so I don't even know how any of the paints smell... Regarding superficial defects, yes: Alclad is completely unforgiving about that... Surfaces must be perfect prior to applying Alclad, because these paints create very thin layers, contrary to acrylics which are thicker.

• Like 1

Newbie question.... Can alclad be brush painted or does this destroy the finish?

And I love the p-51's Ced they are very well executed my winner is the airfix/alclad thus the above question.

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

Hi Rob - Nigel says it can't be brushed other than for very small parts. It's designed for the AB I'm afraid. :)

Cracking job on all three! The B17 does seem like a very frustrating kit, although that seems to be a trend nowadays. I have recently started using the Humbrol decal product (smells of ammonia) and I haven't had any silvering since, even over matt surfaces.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1