'Memphis Belle' B-17f Revell 1/72 (Pic heavy)

I didn't want to be left out, but as there's no wine in the house, I ordered a double-decker pizza -- quite literally two pepperoni pizzas atop each other. I know, I'm a modern-day epicurean.

• Like 3

I am a complete fool when it comes to 'sophisticated' food, but "epicurean' and 'double-decker pizza' can never co-exist in the same sentence.

Just saying.

Bon appetit

(and as someone who has just seen an ad on TV for pizza encased by bacon, I am a little jealous )

• Like 1

My god, wine, Extreme Airports on Ice, double-decker pepperoni pizza... I had none of these things: I have wasted my weekend :weep:

Good work Ced, nice use of twist ties too, I always imagined they had some other - actually useful - usage, and you have found it :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

I didn't want to be left out, but as there's no wine in the house, I ordered a double-decker pizza -- quite literally two pepperoni pizzas atop each other. I know, I'm a modern-day epicurean.

It appears PC hasn't forgotten about Mr Hobby Belly and is working hard on a home grown one! That or maybe he wants to keep Mrs PC company as her "bloom" increases?

• Like 1

It appears PC hasn't forgotten about Mr Hobby Belly and is working hard on a home grown one! That or maybe he wants to keep Mrs PC company as her "bloom" increases?

It's actually becoming a problem. I stress eat, and work has been horrible recently, with lots of micromanaging in that "we don't know how to do anything useful, so we'll demand constant reports while you're fixing an emergency our policies have created" sort of way. So I haven't been able to run on lunch, because, ha ha, I haven't had lunches.

• Like 2

It's actually becoming a problem. I stress eat, and work has been horrible recently, with lots of micromanaging in that "we don't know how to do anything useful, so we'll demand constant reports while you're fixing an emergency our policies have created" sort of way. So I haven't been able to run on lunch, because, ha ha, I haven't had lunches.

well that's no t very nice, you have to admire someone who trys to make or justify their on role by making your harder and more stressful.... Sorry swap admire for a hurtful work of your choice.... I'm just too nice.

However with every cloud there is a silver lining.... And yours is in the shape of a double decker pizza! That looks..... Awesome (normally used for things that are not, but I think we can all agree that a pizza on top of a pizza was made for that word)

Rob

• Like 3

Had a look at Andy's build (no problem?) and the instructions again and I can't see how I'd done it wrong but I chopped this off anyway. Still really tight.

Although I had no problem with the bomb bay - I did have problems with the front section with the bomb aimer on. This may be easier on the 'F' but I had a lot of trouble fathoming out exactly what it was to fit to & of course on the G this section has the chin gun turret clinging to it - I ended up with a 1 mm gap in front of the turret.

Also, don't fit the bomb aiming gizmo until you're ready to put the nose on, otherwise you'll keep knocking it.

• Like 2

Ah, I sympathise, my mistake foods consumption soars when things are tough!

• Like 1

Morning all!

Thanks everyone... gosh this is a complicated thread to reply to!

I hope you all enjoyed a relaxing Saturday night and followed the 'drink alcohol responsibly' guidance, although it looks as though Jon might have had a bit too much whisky as it's made him talk all funny... I don't like being nannied much so I had a sip and then ran around with scissors - that'll teach 'em!

Rob I like CSI too and it was one of my younger daughter's favourites when she was a teen, encouraging her to consider a 'career' in forensics. Like lots of others. Luckily she became an English teacher (like her Mum). I do feel a bit left out when they go on (and on) about lesson plans and curriculums but I suppose that is more acceptable than the stories we might have heard had she gone the other way. Was the extreme airports the '10 Most Dangerous Airports' documentary? Great show!

Hmmm, pizza! As a lover of Italian food cooked the 'Italian way' (good food, cooked simply) I'm amazed at what people do to 'make it better'. Double decker? Filled crust? I hear they even do them deep fried in batter in Scotland (got to do something with all that oil!). I must say I agree with Mike on the terminology... more gourmand than gourmet? I still like filled-crust deep pan from Pizza Hut though as a comfort food (although Mrs B bans it). I share that with Good King Wenceslas of course - he likes his deep pan crisp and even :rofl:

Stew I like twist ties, sometimes. They're one of those things I collected (even before I started modelling again) 'in case they come in'; of course they never do and just tangle themselves in the drawer. They're ideal for this sort of job when you're NOT using glue - if there's any glue around I don't recommend them because of the plastic coating (ask me how I know).

PC I remember when my Mr Hobby Belly was becoming a problem for me but I'm past that now. It's still there, of course, I just don't think it's a problem anymore. The arrival of warmer weather is always a tense time in our house though. I put on a 'summer' shirt yesterday and Mrs B asked "Have you put on weight since last summer?". In my experience this is one of those questions that requires a very careful response and one of the benefits of dotage is that they come quickly to hand. One holds in one's 'tummy', straightens the back and pulls the front of the shirt in and out and says, in your best Alpha Male voice, "I don't think so Darling". Failure to do this correctly results in lots of rabbit food an no mille-fuille.

Micro-managers are a pain. I had one a few years ago, helpfully called 'Dick'. Really. His 'time management' course told him to spend time on staff motivation so he blocked out 3:30pm on Thursdays in his diary. Then he'd walk around each desk 'motivating' people and saying "Any problems, my door is always open". One afternoon someone muttered "Pity you don't walk through to more often". He was not amused.

Thanks Andy for the tip on the bomb sight. I'll leave it out until the last minute (I see a potential problem there - must make a note on the plans!)

Anyway, it's 8:30 and my tea hasn't arrived yet (can't get the staff) so I guess I'll do a Sunday morning thing and take Mrs B tea in bed.

More later!

• Like 5

Slow to start, sorry, but must share the morning so far... glued the pilot floor into the Belle so waiting for that to dry...

Also whilst waiting for Broadcasting House (BH) to start I listened to 'Tweet of the Day'*, this morning's subject the Storm Petrel. Great to hear David Attenborough describing its call as "Like a fairy being sick". Classic.

BH did an 'article' on the women that inspired songs and interviewed some of the 'muses', apologising to everyone who's going to have the tune from 'Girl from Ipanema' in their heads all day. Me, I'm going for Pulp's 'Common People', allegedly inspired by Danae Stratou, wife of Yanis Varoufakis, Greek minister of Finance (for a bit longer?). Those lyrics still make me shiver...

Anyway, Belle awaits!

* BBC Radio 4's amusing 'play' on twitter - their tweet of the day is a short programme about bird song. Larf!

• Like 2

YouTube has stopped supporting the older apps and as my IPad is ancient that means me. The good news is that I will soon be getting an IPad Air, on which I will be able to do lots more things. Yippee.

Where's that B-17?

John

Er, thanks PC. "It's 'Common People' Jim, but not as we know it." Awful. I wonder why the album's called 'Has Been'? Poor William. I assume this was pre-comeback?

Hi John. You're lucky you missed PC's video and I hope you enjoy the new iPad! B-17? What? Oh, now I remember! More soon...

• Like 1

What a nice relaxing day... lots of fiddly painting on the Belle (see below) and a first trip to Marshfield Ice Cream's 'factory shop' this afternoon. This stuff's delicious and at £4.50 a litre and only 8 food miles gives me a nice warm feeling in my expanding tummy. Yummy. Also gave me a chance to play some loud music in the car; 'Common People' by Pulp, of course, and who can resist thumping on the steering wheel to the Who's 'Baba O'Reiley (Teenage Wasteland)'? I tried to find an official video for that but a) I don't think they had video when the song came out and b ) newer recordings have Roger Daltrey not quite hitting the notes, bless him. Anyway TURN IT UP! Dang, dang dang, bump de bump de bump etc...

Anyway, progress slowed down a lot after step 18 above. Step 19 includes the table that I wanted to try Andy's wood effect on. Step 20 - assemble and paint 3 chairs. Tiny little chairs. And step 23 is the bomb sight. And step 24 has two radios. And step 25 is two more radios and another wooden table. And step 26 has a little chair AND two big ones. And all the seats have seat belts (painted). And step 27 has er, a panel of things and another radio set thingy. Lots of fiddly painting then. So the first step is to get rid of a pile of boring business magazines that I rarely open when they arrive and make more room:

44B2AE67-3A97-40D7-9D64-1C45BF2863CE_zps1C534361-C004-4D15-A25A-8131567AD3AB_zps

Reference point is the bottle of Klear, extra space behind the lamp, now filled with Belle sprues. Kept the BoB DVD, of course; Susannah York in her unmentionables :Tasty:

I've not had much luck with my paint today. I decided to try to rescue the trusty tin of Humbrol enamel IG by removing the skin (yuk) and adding some thinners. And when I opened the previously unopened H87 Steel grey (flip top, uh oh) it was a half full pot of goo. Even a dose of flow improver and thinner and a session with the battery mixer didn't help much, but it's usable:

D054AC8E-B45B-4691-AC91-34684B31127C_zps92DB4E1A-43E2-433D-805D-92E8ED21A4C3_zps

Anyway, I soldiered on with this lot, paint a coat, let it dry, repeat. Good job I'm using acrylics otherwise it'd be next week:

F5FCEAE4-F09B-48D3-8583-08B8D29548A0_zpsB2E359A1-3DB4-4C32-850E-441D0AB68505_zps

Here's where we are now:

DA0E35ED-3520-40EE-97F3-78BF710F22EE_zps681AE272-4FA5-4F69-A2BB-80850E787473_zps

E1504E88-3B1B-439D-A788-D30DBFE63FE3_zps7DF3BFEE-5D55-470F-B4F0-13FD682B65EC_zps

I may have over-weathered that floor a bit and the holes around the chair feet are a bit obvious in the photos but this is probably the last time you and I will see them so enough! Reasonably happy with the wood effect (thanks for the tip Andy) and, of course, the map. Must get myself some more IG to match the VMA for touch ups - normal Vallejo Model?

Still have the rear cabin to do (finishing the painting and fitting the radios and other equipment) and the bomb sight is painted and put aside:

0E68F167-6ED4-45A2-BEAA-0FC42DC5630C_zpsC3F25D36-2A5F-4825-A9F7-8C98FE786868_zps

Used my new Tamiya pointy brush for that white (probably worth the money, more later). The bomb sight was painted silver with H11, blackened up with a Pitt pen and then True Metal aluminium applied for the 'glass' bits. Polished this with a cotton bud which also rubbed the black a bit so I'm calling this 'weathering' - quite like it actually.

My hands are too shaky to do anymore and it's worth letting that lot dry. Also, ice cream awaits! May do a bit of assembly later but my target of the 19th is looking less likely so I'll remove that pressure and do things properly. Sorry Belle.

Thanks for looking (and I'm glad I put 'pic heavy' in the title!!)

• Like 6

Thanks Christer. OOB and no oxygen bottles in there. Did the 'F' have them? There's a bit in the film where they're carrying bottles but hey, that's Hollywood!

Thanks Cookie! A cheap version of Bill's idea - don't look too closely!

Finished the radio shack bits and stuck 'em in. Remember this part (now prodded with pens and scratched with the pencil)?

7D5D874D-A515-492C-8731-DB18FA55CBB6_zps

Well don't forget to turn it over! Then you can complete steps 24-28:

BC6EF33A-F725-4848-A561-C648CE861028_zps20A1435A-D871-4230-8787-59A82F823AC0_zps

48CB0A2E-9A00-422B-A425-3D4A76A5C214_zpsB730D28E-3561-44A4-8CFD-253D2D9D7839_zps

Happy with that. Now I have to decide whether to fit the waist guns or shut the windows. Then the ball turret (da da dah!)

Wine o'clock! Thanks for looking.

• Like 7

Thanks Simon, paint mishaps are a fact of life (especially with Humbrol?) :)

Thanks Jaime. Very little will be seen from anywhere as it'll be hung on the ceiling with the others. It's just part of the 'fun' for me! I have some new Humbrol weathering washes so I may have a go with those. Maybe too late?

Thanks Christer. I build OOB (always my excuse) so probably not. I did look at your Little Patches thread and (just looked again) it looks fine to me? Another excuse for me is that Belle is an 'F' but I'm wriggling now!

Just a thought - the engine cowlings are in two parts - the rear part being a choice of open or closed. Whichever you choose, it's worth fitting them before the engines, otherwise it's a very tight fit to get that ring over the engine. The Instructions show the engines being fitted first.

• Like 1

Thanks Andy - another top tip! More notes made on the instructions!

Work to do this morning so not much progress. I metalled the guns (True Metal gunmetal) and the engines (Mr Hobby Iron) last night and buffed them this morning. I had uploaded some photos but now I think that including them would be taking 'pic heavy' a bit far!

I've gone some way to overcoming my analysis paralysis on the waist guns by fitting the posts:

A18586D9-808C-4C97-9E0F-6B52CDCAF86E_zps

Unpainted as yet. I think this proves that any problem knocking the guns off can be avoided, and masking made easier, by fitting them later. I need to test fit the ammunition boxes first, but looks OK?

Question: When the windows were open, where did they go? They're clear parts that need painting (again) and I think they go next to the opening where you can see the locating marks (the ammunition boxes go further over). If I fit them here I can get away with just painting the inside IG I think. Can't I? I'll paint the inside of the windows and keep myself busy on the lower turret and see if I have any replies later - thanks!

• Like 1

Sounds to me like the windows are different on the F to the G, as I don't remember any clear parts for the ammo. I do wish I'd seen the following ad before I closed Sally up though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Legend-1-72-7202-B-17-Flying-Fortress-Crew-Set-10-Figures-/181734631759?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a503a694f

• Like 1