Hasegawa Mig-27 Flogger D 1/72 and other inaccuracies (Pic heavy)

• 2 weeks later...

Ohhh calamity!! It seems I have miss-placed the canopy!!! :(:crying: :crying:

I
will keep with it and hopefully it will appear at some point! :badmood:

I have sent an email to AMERANG to see if the can supply a spare but no answer back so far.... :(

Upper section of the fuselage is done, cockpit assembled and will start with the lower section of the fuselage.

Ohhh calamity!! It seems I have miss-placed the canopy!!! :(:crying: :crying:

I will keep with it and hopefully it will appear at some point! :badmood:

I have sent an email to AMERANG to see if the can supply a spare but no answer back so far.... :(

Upper section of the fuselage is done, cockpit assembled and will start with the lower section of the fuselage.

Gaia I have an abortive build of this in my spares. The canopy was painted but it is yours if you want it. PM me if you do.

Dave

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on the Flogger. I keep on scribing and riveting the whole thing. I have been having troubles riveting some parts with my riveter tool (the trumpeter one) as the wheel does not reach some places. Any suggestions on this? I also have to figure out how I am going to detail the engine as it looks too flat at the moment, any model/thread for inspiration?

I also want to thank Dave for letting me use his canopy as I manage to loose mine! THANKS SO MUCH!

Cockpit is already mounted, I still have to scratch-build the electronics on the dashboard

DSC_0180_zpsvwlmdugm.jpg

Front wheel bay has been primed in light grey and will do the painting soon

DSC_0179_zpslv6dpcrw.jpg

I have also mounted and started to paint the avionics on the side. I will add some minor cable work once finished. The green stuff on the panel is the cushioning on the avionics, it was made and sculptured with Milliput.

DSC_0182_zpspsglosk3.jpg

On with the panelling and riveting

DSC_0176_zpsvnukalmr.jpg

DSC_0177_zpsywvztryw.jpg

DSC_0172_zpses4p8fxc.jpg

I have also carved out the gun bay so it does not look it is sitting on the top of the hull. As I expanded the front wheel bay to its correct shape, I had to shorten the gun as it was too long for the current dimensions... I will add the lateral guards of the gun once I finish with the hull.

DSC_0170_zpswtslqtsd.jpg

Also as you can see I have painted the main wheel bays. Primed in light grey and painted on the top with GW Boltgun metal. Will start to do the landing gear soon and will apply some washes to the bays.

DSC_0173_zpshkvqfany.jpg

Another thing I will have to make from scratch in this lateral holder (see the ref pic) as the piece provided by Hasegawa is just literally a handle...

DSC_0174_zpstk9uulzb.jpg

REF PIC:

mig-27_058_of_114_zps79cannlq.jpg

Hope you enjoy it. As always if you have any comments/ suggestions please do not hesitate to post!

All the best

Edited by Gaia1984
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

It has been a long time since the last update. I have been working on the panel lines, there are almost ready to go. I have been working on independent pieces so I decided to join the main two pieces of the fuselage when the wings were ready. Now I gotta tell you, this thing has bolts! It has been tedious getting them done with either the riveter or with a steel glass scribber. I am now joining the lines and rivets from both part of the fuselage.

I have also been working in the cockpit section, I have done from scratch all the instruments on the dashboard using: Milliput, plastic card and lead wires. It was easy to get the bulky stuff done although there are almost no pics of the Mig-27 cockpit, and specially almost nothing of the dashboard section so the cable work was totally at discretion of my imagination. Also as you can see I have been painting the avionics in the panel I opened in the nose. I decided not to open more panels as it is already taking its sweet time to be built.

1) I think next steps will be to finish off to join panel lines, rivets etc etc from both sides of the hull.

2) The machine gun has a couple of guards on both sides of the nozzle. I will be scratch building those

3) Working on the landing gear. The is plenty of work to do here!

4) I really wanna do something with the engine exhaust. It looks as dull as it gets, although not sure exactly what or how to do it.

5) Start doing some painting on the beast!

Anyway guys as always comments / suggestions are always welcomed!

All the best,

Alex

IMG_0177_zpsrfdkx8ns.jpg

IMG_0176_zps5iajqmpa.jpg

IMG_0175_zps9873owp4.jpg

IMG_0173_zpszdtlxxaz.jpg

IMG_0169_zpser1uejde.jpg

IMG_0169_zpsqhjmwbbx.jpg

IMG_0170_zps45t9zqfc.jpg

IMG_0170-2_zpsvq2vpfvt.jpg

IMG_0171_zpshxnqxeu8.jpg

Edited by Gaia1984
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Here is my attempt after two night of surgery and sanding, the nose is slowly but surely coming to shape the nose was extended as it was bit short, however need little more sanding to make the slope more straight, the side armour for the cockpit has been added and the fuselage was extended as it was bit short when the intake was applied, today if time permit hope to work on the wing which is again wrong... Darn this hasegawa mig-27 kits need lots of re work, learned many thing from this thread, great stuff here.
mig_23.jpg

Edited by tomthounaojam
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hi everybody,

I can't believe that this project started in 2015! I recently opened the box of this unfinished project and decided to give another push and bring to an end. I think I specially owe to Davek72 who was so kind to provide me a spare part for the canopy. The kit was pretty much left as in my last post, during the past week I have been getting to it again and checking out what I still want to do. Luckily I still got stored many of the reference pictures I collected from the internet when I was doing the project back in 2015.

So far I have been preparing the armament and now I am starting to detail the landing gear. The front landing gear shaft is pretty much done, I still need to add some cables once it is glued to the main frame.

Picture of the armament, fuel tanks and mid section landing gear. You can see that I have scribber some parts of the armaments and rails based on reference pictures. The underwing fuel pod is a PTB-800 (it took a while to put all the names to these parts of the kit as Hasegawa does not provide any name in the instructions). One thing I did for the fuel pod was to add a couple of "winglets" at the tip as in reference pictures. For the rocket launcher (I think this is a UB-32) I added a a "pointy cone" at the center of the tip (you can a red tip in the photo) which was missing from the original piece and I also filled one of the rocket holes (12:00 o'clock position) with putty as this was a missrepresentation in the original piece (not shown in the picture). The missile is a K-13 // AA- Atoll, I scribed several bits of the missile, filled the ver marked ejection pin holes, added some bolts with a shark drill bit and also removed the tip of the missile and added the lens with a cut off piece of clear sprue. 

GPtpC0vMeJ2JtSOo7OYhH8laZedcT8QtxAE19oQr

For the exhaust I tried to do something different. I used Tamiya masking tape to recreate the different inner parts of the exhaust nozzle. I am still not 100% on how it looks, I may be more convinced once I paint it but it will be nice to hear some thoughts of all of you and see if anybody has tried to something like this. The different parts was also done following reference pictures. Underneath the masking tape there are small plasticard squared rods so that the whole masking tape belt has a corrugated look.

EId_yjvhU69zFEw3TGzl3eVh_nry_E1CZmsHrQKN

Here are some pictures of the nose landing gear. I am pretty happy with it. I have added several parts using plasticard and scratched built part from old sprues. The cabling was done using several lead wire and I also used masking tape here and there to create highlights in the shaft or in the cables. I am particularly proud of how the nose landing gear light come out (see third picture, it is picture with a cross made out of masking tape). I did the general form of the piece using a cut out piece of an old sprue and I started to add some details. As I said this piece is pretty much done I will need to add some cables once it is attached to the main frame.

YmzD65U4lkeYo43LLtqMqeewFNjPhAUY5WHWqlta

HjFzargyKY0nmCb44AJXrB_z5RmMMqmIOoWquUGs

W9bTrzT3Y3LOWiba-Mwaps8bwXYYzgWf5nknHwsx

In the coming days I will be doing the read landing gear and detailing the LG bays. I think this will be the most time consuming bit as I want to add quite a few scratch built pieces and cablework. 

Anyway this is all for today, I hope you enjoy it.

All the best!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I have been making progress slowly on several fronts on this Hasegawa kit. To be honest, one of the most dificult parts of this job is to actually get good reference images! There aren't many for the Mig-27, perhaps this is as it was not adopted by many countries....

Anyway on to the job at hand!

I have glued now all the major parts of the fuselage and there were a few regions that required a significant amount of sanding and filling. This was most notable around the air intakes and where the cockpit section joins the fuselage.

OEKh3zgUDlv0pN3pc-LBKYduciY9BCxSLOD-czrx

Here: The two pieces that form the intake needed a bit of filling and sanding to level them but not too much. Where the whole piece of the ait intake joins the main body of the plane that a different story.... there were significant gaps and missalignments and as you can see it is still a work in progress... I am using Revell Plasto and I am finding it difficult to work with, to be honest. Also where you can see the panel square with just two rows of rivets, that section required A LOT of sanding on the cockpit section... which was about 3-4 mm higher than the main body. I will need to rework some of the panels and the rivets. Also you can see a red piece that I added to the nose. This was done by carving a piece of plastic into shape of a probe that was completely missing in the original kit.

2BFovqxr7ysnejNFGeL0PXHFLrY8rK3Gv3TrKIKo

Side view of the air intakes.  This lateral section also needed quite a bit of filling and sanding... I will also start commenting on the gun. I have glued it to the main body and added a few details using styrene sheet (the latches for the metal holders/straps and for the side deflectors at the front of the gun), making tape for adding a few more circular holders for the gun barrels, and streched plastic sprues (see next picture, for several details on the back end). I have also just added today the bulb at the end of the gun, Hasegawa's one was just too small. I am waiting for it to dry (using Milliput white) and I will shape it further.

G7fI8_NsZlnG4WEoJBDBMLHZw73TzP8R3IeVXqod

Underview. I may add a few more details to the gun, but I feel quite good on how it looks at the moment.

mMAGzdMtkZuRM27xMoPtV57qHigVfXS-F6lP20Zc

Next two photos are the main wheel bays. They are still a work in progress, I am going to add a bit more of cable work, pipes and details. I have also added some rivets to the background structure.

TqORBvHSe1kXMG3-kPzFQTJxnJEOXG5V3ElItaMw

FDaxEM9os_vLC694zoBGSZokfh9Avuc5FSVt8_lk

Pylons... during the past few days I have been working on these, adding raised and low details to them. I still need to do the other sides but they are coming along nicely. Most of the details done with stretched sprues.

t6KAGiYdMKJ2GrGoH41k4BPMU3v7e9RTmhGPbhJ7

More details added to R-13s (AA-2 Atoll). I may add more details to the fins... we will see...

2PxOdsJXbshtmRuDeKnUx7jQ4_a7cwlDedLw1yte

A bit out of focus but it gives you the idea. I am also making a few extra parts for the wheel bay doors and for hte landing gear that also missing in the original kit, these are tiny!

DkNcTOqyhN1mOzk4pFOliqL-LvAKzk3CTDBJFTdV

I have also purchased these sets of decals for the for once I paint it. I have decided to go for the Kazakh Snow Leopards Mig-27Ds. The decals look very nice but some of these decals look a bit complicated as they are two parts going one of top of the other (see the leopard head and the blue and yellow emblem). I have never used a two part decal set, so we will see how it goes. If you have any advice it would be much welcomed!

k7cTst_FMlIQgAYEegEYZWMR_g0GRWm_mpHgKQZ7

Soem technical stencils for more detail.

fceJT96Zn-GnDfLD5vHTxh2OvFsSwxDWf0F-eccR

So this is it for today, I hope you enjoy this update and will come back again soon with more progress!

All the best!

• Like 2