1/350 Trumpeter HMS Queen Elizabeth

Put together over the period of about two years using WEM's QE class PE set and various other PEs generic sets as well as turned barrels where available. Many, many, many mods to the original kit from raising the foredeck by about .060" to rebuilding the anchors.

4_zpsxmhwvqph.jpg2_zpsegbkxya3.jpg5_zps62l3hu5o.jpg9_zpsjzaiiloz.jpg11_zpsqr0gmlqs.jpg14_zpsshaexkm7.jpg21_zpsfqztjacs.jpg20_zpsefstt0p6.jpg22_zpsxaydxrcn.jpg26_zpsghucrlom.jpg24_zps4o4k8qzm.jpg31_zpsdtnb0zuh.jpg

• Like 42
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful and very convincing. Did you apply the hull 'raised' plating yourself? If so, did you use brass plate for that?

I'm about to make a similar decision for my Dreadnought hull so I'm very curious.

A very stunning piece of work. I am just about to start on mine and would be pleased to get anywhere near your standard.

One question though. Why no black boot topping on the hull?

Thanks all.

@ Ray vd M: The plating is pretty much as the kit is molded, there are a couple of very small tweaks around the bow. I have added hull plating on other builds using paper steeped in CA.

@ paul178: the photos I have looked at of the ship at the time modeled do not appear to show any boot topping. That doesn't mean there wasn't, but usually it's easily spotted; so builders choice.

• Like 1

Thanks, your build pics are actually responsible for me needing to apply the plating (and spending all evening trying to find out where they need to go).

I look forward to seeing your future build reports.

Thank you. It's painted using Modelmaster acrylics (Sand, light grey and dark earth); sand as the base colour then mixes with the other two colours to hand paint individual planks. Respray with sand to tone down the colour variance. Sealed with future for umber and black washes.

Edited by rardp
  • Like 3

It looks terrific and realistic. Digged out some of my navy kits and thinking about a similar paint job on Hellers old Gneisenau and Spee.

Top job. Absolutely lovely. I did 12 years in the merchant navy as a deck officer / hydrographic surveyor and I have never built a ship model since, because I understand the amount of detail that is involved that I simply can't create in small scale. If a ship model looks "right" at eyelevel, as if you see from another ship at sea, it is right Yours is..

Used to do a lot of ships in my younger years and I have this kit. I'll have to work hard to get her looking anything like this. Absolutely glorious - you should be proud of this effort!

Matt