P-51 Mustang STGB Chat

wellzy

On 07/08/2016 at 9:40 AM, TPReggie said:

This may be exactly what I am looking for to try out a first NMF scheme, so count me in as interested please :)

welcome to the group ,look forward to your build 

Les

I though I would post here, as some may be already be aware today P-51 'Janie' crashed today in Norfolk leaving the pilot Maurice Hammond in critical condition and his passenger losing his life. I propose we dedicate this GB to the as yet unnamed deceased and indeed to Maurice battle 

• Like 2

Just now, PhantomBigStu said:

I though I would post here, as some may be already be aware today P-51 'Janie' crashed today in Norfolk leaving the pilot Maurice Hammond in critical condition and his passenger losing his life. I propose we dedicate this GB to the as yet unnamed deceased and indeed to Maurice battle 

lm with you on that 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Count me in if you don't mind,another GB that's caught me off guard,I need to get a kit for this one so need to get my thinking cap on, it (or they)

will be I/48 scale I'd really like to model the D as Dooleybird which is a choice in the Italeri boxing as the aircraft was for a time based up the road 

at Acklington but Hobbyboss do an Easy build one with this option which price wise makes sense as NMF and Me don't normally get on so a 

disaster would only cost a tenner and it would be nice to have a crack at Tamiya's kit as I built the C last month,plus I could build Lou iv and paint 

it blue and watch the gnashing of teeth and fill another twenty pages with controversy,Tick tock, tick tock:evil_laugh:

Don't believe what's on the box ,just built the Hobby Boss P47 was not all easy lol

• Like 1

Ok finally I have gotten the list up to date, not that that means you can or can't join the fun, it just helps keep track of things.

It's a big list and I take no responsibility if I've forgotten you/spelt your name wrong/or added you twice, if you find any of these just blame wellzy, that's what I normally do! :D

I see there were some eligibility questions throughout the thread. Basically it's the same as the last one, everything from Mustang I's to, A-36's, F-51's, F-82's are ok (did I miss any??), plus racing Mustangs are allowed as well. The only stipulations are the usual, it must have flown, so it's a real aircraft and it must be an actual colour scheme, no "it might have worn these colors" or "it would have looked good in these colours!". Other than it pretty much do what you want, just the usual drill for a STGB.

Any further questions then wellzy is your man, I just play with the lists.......hey do I get paid for this??? :shrug:

ok he's the list and she's a big one.

1, wellzy (Host)

2, TEMPESTMK5

3, Mitch K

4, Mish

5, Knaupel

6, Peter W

7, Mikemx

8, 06/24

9, charlie_c67

10, Blitz23

11, Wolwe82

12, PlaStix

13, GREG DESTEC

14, gingerbob - aka "Captain Ginger Nut" (co host)

15, Air-to-Air

16, old thumper

17, DannyB

18, Bonhoff

19, PaulT 876

20, Arniec

21, Graeme H

22, Doug Rogers

23, kpc7676

24, Caerbannog

25, trickyrich (co-host & list keeper)

26, Magua87

27, Rob G

28, Mark

29, T7 Models

30. PhantomBigStu

31, nige201980

32, Black Knight

33, Joss

34, jrxl

35, wimbledon99

36, theplasticsurgeon

37, Knight_Flyer

38, wimbledon99

39, Col.

40, JimmyZ

41, Blastvader

42, almac

43, Avereda

44, zegeye

45, maltadefender

46, Giorgio N

47, Jb65rams

48, Rafwaffe

49, TeeELL

50, stevehnz

51, Kingtiger

52, James V

53, Paul J

54, TPReggie

55, ZitchDog

56, Bedders

57, Ian

58, Magua87

59, alex

60, Lerpy

61, pabbi

62, Davek72

63, Greg in OK

64, nimrod54

65, steve60

• Like 3

Put back two weeks, oh, beggar, that'll give me time to complete my Fw 190, start a MTO Spitfire & maybe just maybe get this one started almost on time..... Nah, can'rt see it happening, but I will be there at somestage. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Ok finally I have gotten the list up to date, not that that means you can or can't join the fun, it just helps keep track of things.

It's a big list and I take no responsibility if I've forgotten you/spelt your name wrong/or added you twice, if you find any of these just blame wellzy, that's what I normally do! :D

I see there were some eligibility questions throughout the thread. Basically it's the same as the last one, everything from Mustang I's to, A-36's, F-51's, F-82's are ok (did I miss any??), plus racing Mustangs are allowed as well. The only stipulations are the usual, it must have flown, so it's a real aircraft and it must be an actual colour scheme, no "it might have worn these colors" or "it would have looked good in these colours!". Other than it pretty much do what you want, just the usual drill for a STGB.

Any further questions then wellzy is your man, I just play with the lists.......hey do I get paid for this??? :shrug:

ok he's the list and she's a big one.

1, wellzy (Host)

2, TEMPESTMK5

3, Mitch K

4, Mish

5, Knaupel

6, Peter W

7, Mikemx

8, 06/24

9, charlie_c67

10, Blitz23

11, Wolwe82

12, PlaStix

13, GREG DESTEC

14, gingerbob - aka "Captain Ginger Nut" (co host)

15, Air-to-Air

16, old thumper

17, DannyB

18, Bonhoff

19, PaulT 876

20, Arniec

21, Graeme H

22, Doug Rogers

23, kpc7676

24, Caerbannog

25, trickyrich (co-host & list keeper)

26, Magua87

27, Rob G

28, Mark

29, T7 Models

30. PhantomBigStu

31, nige201980

32, Black Knight

33, Joss

34, jrxl

35, wimbledon99

36, theplasticsurgeon

37, Knight_Flyer

38, wimbledon99

39, Col.

40, JimmyZ

41, Blastvader

42, almac

43, Avereda

44, zegeye

45, maltadefender

46, Giorgio N

47, Jb65rams

48, Rafwaffe

49, TeeELL

50, stevehnz

51, Kingtiger

52, James V

53, Paul J

54, TPReggie

55, ZitchDog

56, Bedders

57, Ian

58, Magua87

59, alex

60, Lerpy

61, pabbi

62, Davek72

63, Greg in OK

64, nimrod54

65, steve60

Thank`s Rich ,where would we be with out you , Les

Hi gents. Been a bit stuck for a subject recently but I fancy coming to play in this. I have an airfix 72nd in the stash but it's the red tails one and I don't fancy the nmf. Does anyone have any camo or olive drab decals they won't be using and fancies donating? Happy to meet postage costs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Graeme H said:

OK, just to clarify, it's put back 2 weeks, what was the original date, and what's the new dates? 

yeap it now starts on the 22nd.

I'll see if I can get my beloved to fix up the banner with the correct dates.

7 hours ago, Stosh65 said:

Hi gents. Been a bit stuck for a subject recently but I fancy coming to play in this. I have an airfix 72nd in the stash but it's the red tails one and I don't fancy the nmf. Does anyone have any camo or olive drab decals they won't be using and fancies donating? Happy to meet postage costs.

Stosh, PM inbound.

OK, so the date has changed to 22 october before it starts. That gives me some more breathing space on the other GB's.:D

I have already pulled a 1/48 Accurate Miniatures F6A out of the stash and also found a P-51D on the shelf of shame that isn't past the 25% rule. I also saw that there are some indonisian decals in it for a natural metal finish.and that :door:

Cheers,  

32 minutes ago, Joss said:

Hi guys I was planning on building a tamiya 1:48 D and i was looking to do abit more work with resin and pe.

So the question is what would be a good choice?

Cheers joss

Good morning Joss

https://www.scalemates.com/search-solr.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=P+51D+MUSTANG+1%2F48

Patrice

3 minutes ago, Joss said:

Thanks Patrice! I shall have a look :)

Joss

Hi Joss

I hope you will find what you are looking for ..

I cannot recommend anything because I am a 1/72 builder ..

Regards

Patrice

• Like 1

I've ordered two Airfix P-51D's and I'm reliably informed they are on their way. I can buy the decals later, as there's quite a long way I can go on paint alone on these two!

For those looking for something a little bit different, Draw Decal

http://www.drawdecal.com/

seems to have quite a selection of post-war / warbird Mustangs available, in all the scales. Bob Hoover's bright yellow Reno bird might entice someone.

http://www.drawdecal.com/ole-yeller-p-51d-released/

I've never dealt with them or used the product, but I believe they have a good reputation. Just passing info on.

Anyone out there had experience of ICM's P-51D? :)

On the hunt for a new 1/48 mustang and these kits seem to be pretty prevalent at the moment and all available at a pretty good price. I've done a bit of digging and have seen a few comments that it's a carbon copy of tamiya's mustang but no real comment on how it goes together?! Are they worth building or is really just worth spending the extra and getting the tamiya? :hmmm:

23 hours ago, DannyB said:

Anyone out there had experience of ICM's P-51D? :)

On the hunt for a new 1/48 mustang and these kits seem to be pretty prevalent at the moment and all available at a pretty good price. I've done a bit of digging and have seen a few comments that it's a carbon copy of tamiya's mustang but no real comment on how it goes together?! Are they worth building or is really just worth spending the extra and getting the tamiya? :hmmm:

Good afternoon Danny

You might be interested by this advice on Icm Mustang

http://www.modelingmadness.com/review/allies/cleaver/us/tmc4851d.htm

Regards

Patrice

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Danny

You might be interested by this advice on Icm Mustang

http://www.modelingmadness.com/review/allies/cleaver/us/tmc4851d.htm

Regards

Patrice

Thanks Patrice, funnily enough I found this article after posting my question.

After reading though, I do fear I've answered my own question and the tamiya 'stang has gone back on the shopping list. Tamiya's isn't crazy money more and from what I've read I don't think there is any advantage to the ICM kit other than price! 

• Like 1