P-51 Mustang STGB Chat

wellzy

On 07/10/2016 at 3:45 PM, DannyB said:

Thanks Patrice, funnily enough I found this article after posting my question.

After reading though, I do fear I've answered my own question and the tamiya 'stang has gone back on the shopping list. Tamiya's isn't crazy money more and from what I've read I don't think there is any advantage to the ICM kit other than price! 

Hiya Danny,....I`m building the ICM Mustang Mk.III over on the MTO GB and I would recommend that you get a Tamiya kit instead because the ICM kit is pants! The plastic is awful, the parts are sloppy and have no structural integrity,.... many parts end up looking warped. 

Good luck with yours,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Hello! Another newbie willing to join, still deciding between a Tamiya and an Airfix P-51D both 1/72, suggestions are welcome being this my second build. :hmmm:

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lomcevak said:

Hello! Another newbie willing to join, still deciding between a Tamiya and an Airfix P-51D both 1/72, suggestions are welcome being this my second build. :hmmm:

Thanks!

Good morning Lomcevak

Welcome aboard after building several of both I can tell you that even if it is your second build you can build both of them .

I think that they are easy to build if you follow the instructions and take time and do some dry fitting test when you will place the wings and the fuselage for example , the Airfix one suffers from a bent landing gear leg in nearly all the kits I had built but as the plastic is ''soft'' you can fix that easily ..

I plan to build at least on Tamiya and one Airfix Mustang I will use a Pavla conversion set to build a D-5 without the fin fillet ..

Regards

Patrice

On Wednesday, October 05, 2016 at 9:31 AM, Rob G said:

For those looking for something a little bit different, Draw Decal

http://www.drawdecal.com/

seems to have quite a selection of post-war / warbird Mustangs available, in all the scales. Bob Hoover's bright yellow Reno bird might entice someone.

http://www.drawdecal.com/ole-yeller-p-51d-released/

I've never dealt with them or used the product, but I believe they have a good reputation. Just passing info on.

As it happens, I have the 1/32nd decals For Old Yeller

And a Hasesgawa P-51D ....

Wonder what I could do with them?

• Like 1

On 10/10/2016 at 08:35, tonyot said:

Hiya Danny,....I`m building the ICM Mustang Mk.III over on the MTO GB and I would recommend that you get a Tamiya kit instead because the ICM kit is pants! The plastic is awful, the parts are sloppy and have no structural integrity,.... many parts end up looking warped. 

Good luck with yours,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for the heads-up Tony! ;)

Tamiya 'stang has been added to the shopping list, the difference in price is less than a fiver. Which following your build in the MTO is a price more than worth paying! :lol: 

4 hours ago, DannyB said:

Tamiya 'stang has been added to the shopping list, the difference in price is less than a fiver. Which following your build in the MTO is a price more than worth paying! :lol: 

if you also factor in that fact that ICM's decals disintegrate on contact with water and need replacing with aftermarket anyway (Not an issue with Revell boxings) there's even less incentive to buy the ICM kit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DannyB said:

what the hell is a stang ! ! !!!!

13 minutes ago, wellzy said:

what the hell is a stang ! ! !!!!

Haha a 'stang is an example of my terrible English! :lol: 

The abbreviated slang term for mustang that I picked up years ago, I blame my time spent living in the deep south of North Carolina. :lol:

Just now, DannyB said:

Haha a 'stang is an example of my terrible English! :lol: 

The abbreviated slang term for mustang that I picked up years ago, I blame my time spent living in the deep south of North Carolina. :lol:

it's a Mustang !

• Like 1

On 11/10/2016 at 01:20, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Lomcevak

Welcome aboard after building several of both I can tell you that even if it is your second build you can build both of them .

I think that they are easy to build if you follow the instructions and take time and do some dry fitting test when you will place the wings and the fuselage for example , the Airfix one suffers from a bent landing gear leg in nearly all the kits I had built but as the plastic is ''soft'' you can fix that easily ..

I plan to build at least on Tamiya and one Airfix Mustang I will use a Pavla conversion set to build a D-5 without the fin fillet ..

Regards

Patrice

Hi Patrice, thanks, it's good to know these tips before starting, I also had a few fit issues when attaching the wings to the fuselage on my airfix Typhoon and it took me some time to put them  together but I wasn't completely happy with the final result. I'll try to spend a little more time on this build as it seems to be not unusual. 

I like the option to put the flaps down on the airfix, but I'm also curious about the Tamiya, and @Rob G 's proposal of building both sounds interesting as I realize that the painting process would share the main colors as the bare metal part, but i want to be sure that I can finish on time, so I'll probably build one for now. 

Thank you both,

J

1 hour ago, Lomcevak said:

Hi Patrice, thanks, it's good to know these tips before starting, I also had a few fit issues when attaching the wings to the fuselage on my airfix Typhoon and it took me some time to put them  together but I wasn't completely happy with the final result. I'll try to spend a little more time on this build as it seems to be not unusual. 

I like the option to put the flaps down on the airfix, but I'm also curious about the Tamiya, and @Rob G 's proposal of building both sounds interesting as I realize that the painting process would share the main colors as the bare metal part, but i want to be sure that I can finish on time, so I'll probably build one for now. 

Thank you both,

J

Good morning Lomcevak

Sharing one's building experience is for me one of the main interest of a forum such as Brittmodeller and I am pleased to help felow modellers whenever I can  .. As I said earlier I have built several AIrfix and Tamiy Mustangs the option to let the flaps down on the Airfix P 51D is very interesting as this configuration was very aften seen on airfields ..I don't know if you have a lot of time to spend on building kits but I remember you that this Gb start on October 22nd until January 21 ..

Regards

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, IanHx said:

Room for another Mustang ? Normally build jets, but just for once thought I'd see what all the fuss about flying house fans was.....:whistle:

Welcome to the build , come see what a real aeroplane  is like !!!

14 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Sharing one's building experience is for me one of the main interest of a forum such as Brittmodeller and I am pleased to help felow modellers whenever I can 

Abso-flippin-lutely! :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

Good evening

Well I have plenty of Mustangs boxes in my stash

P 51 A/B/C by Academy and  P 51 B by Kp

P 51 D by Airfix and Tamiya and F51D

I will try to build one of each and I will probably start when I will have completed my currents builds (but I am not sure that I will be able to resist ..) .

Patrice

I will try to build one of each and I will probably start when I will have completed my currents builds (but I am not sure that I will be able to resist ..) .

Resistance is futile...