P-51 Mustang STGB Chat

wellzy

<sigh> I'll use the shotgun method and keep on adding my name to GB lists...if I put enough pellets into the air, the law of averages says that eventually I'll finish something.

In commemoration of the first Mustang I ever built (the Matchbox one), I will be doing the infamous Dooleybird, in either of the 2 main scales. Or possibly both, possibly at the same time. And possibly the Matchbox one to keep them company, if I can find one with decals instead of stickers. Possibly - I make no promises.

Now, let me have a quick look in the diary....

Yep, just as I thought. Nothing on in 2016/17, so yes please, count me in!

Tamiya 1/32 in the stash, looks like as good an excuse as any to get started on it.

Well, there is an embarrassment of riches in terms of Mustang kits at the moment, and as it has been quite a while since I last made one of North American Aviation's finest, it would be a shame not to join in. Please add me to the list.

Well, there is an embarrassment of riches in terms of Mustang kits at the moment, and as it has been quite a while since I last made one of North American Aviation's finest, it would be a shame not to join in. Please add me to the list.

Welcome to the build ,l will get Rich to add you to the list as l am not trusted lol

Les

Edited by wellzy

no probs, have added you.

Welcome to the build ,l will get Rich to add you to the list as l am not trusted lol

Les

I think you do it just to get out of the job of keeping the lists up to date!

1, wellzy (Host)

2, TEMPESTMK5

3, Mitch K

4, Mish

5, Knaupel

6, Peter W

7, Mikemx

8, 06/24

9, charlie_c67

10, Blitz23

11, Wolwe82

12, PlaStix

13, GREG DESTEC

14, gingerbob - aka "Captain Ginger Nut" (co host)

15, Air-to-Air

16, old thumper

17, DannyB

18, Bonhoff

19, PaulT 876

20, Arniec

21, Graeme H

22, Doug Rogers

23, kpc7676

24, Caerbannog

25, trickyrich (list keeper)

26, Magua87

27, Rob G

28, Mark

29, T7 Models

30. PhantomBigStu

31, nige201980

32, Black Knight

• Like 1

I think you do it just to get out of the job of keeping the lists up to date!

Who me

Les

Edited by wellzy

Where exactly has this contraction of the word 'Mustang' to 'Stang' come from? Like Jug for the Thunderbolt, Toom for the Phantom and Brick for the Buccaneers, it is a word that was never used by the air or ground crews involved with it.

It stinks, frankly.

at some point I need to have a go at an 8th AF airfix stang, seems perfect to do it as part of the GB

Welcome to the build ,any 8th Mustangs are welcome . I will get my man Rich to add your name

Les

• Like 1

Where exactly has this contraction of the word 'Mustang' to 'Stang' come from? Like Jug for the Thunderbolt, Toom for the Phantom and Brick for the Buccaneers, it is a word that was never used by the air or ground crews involved with it.

It stinks, frankly.

Can't speak to how the others came about, but Jug for Thunderbolt is a contraction of Juggernaut which was a reference to it's size. I'm not certain, but ISTR reading somewhere that it was a contemporary nickname.

Mark.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like " 'stang" either, and I don't think it was used in reference to P-51s in the good old days, but if that's how a person chooses to refer to the aircraft I'm not going to make a scene about it.

bob

I don't like " 'stang" either, and I don't think it was used in reference to P-51s in the good old days, but if that's how a person chooses to refer to the aircraft I'm not going to make a scene about it.

bob

I'm with you Bob never have heard the word stang ,it's a Mustang always will be

Les

Edited by wellzy
  • Like 1

ok added...

Les, you know you have to put this list in the first post? plus you will have to update it as I update it cause I can't edit your posts???

Being host doesn't get you out of all the work!

• 4 weeks later...

It stinks, frankly.

I think it may have originated from the US and over there a restored P-51 has been named "Stang Evil".

Anyways, if there's space for more you can add my name to the list. I have a few P-51 kits in the stash.