SM-79 Ser. I Tercio des Extranjeros - Italeri 1/72

Borisz

Hello all!

This is my way to build a Sparviero, I'd like to show you.
The SM.79 introduces in the Spanish civil war in the side of general Francisco Franco. Of course these were given from Mussolini's Italy, suh as the counter side helped by the Soviet Union.

As far as I know the forregin forces was organised in the unit called Tercio des Extranjeros.
In the box I've got 4 markings option, 2 with Spanish markings.
My choosen one is the three tone scheme with sand yellow, green and brown, needless to say all of the in they realy super special Italian tone. Duhh.

I started this construction in February, just before the start of the spring semester of the university, so its going slowly.

f.jpg

In the next weeks I will guide you throught the ongoing building work with updating posts so guys, keep stand by.

Edited by Borisz
  • Like 6

Looking fwd to following this..............................especially the painting :thumbsup:

Looks veryy cool Borisz!

Love the Spanish Civil war. I have an old Airfix version in the stash. Would like to do the same scheme. Good luck!

Paul

Dudes, U R pleasing me :D

So. Here is some update:

The constuction is going on the orthodox way more or less. The interior first, put together the fusalage halves, and so on.

But because of the openned windows, doors ans so on, some parts going to be built in only at the end of the art.

P1060712.jpg

Watch the gaps. The lower wing was been (this is the correct way to say? -so no longer-) deformed, glueing to the upper side took three or four steps, starting from the wingtip.

P1060715.jpg

Gonna be huge, aint it?

Two PE sets are used; Part and Eduard interrior. Actually one sheet was missing from the bag from the two. I was sad. I had to scratch.

1425327455809.jpg

P1060748.jpg

Rod wire, plastic card, beer can and so on.

Some of the parts. About the falf of the total.

P1060763.jpg

Stiffening ribs are rod wire. Meter of plastic rod wire. And also some preshadeing was done.

P1060764.jpg

P1060767.jpg

Edited by Borisz
  • Like 3

Very interesting!

By the way, Legion Condor never used Savoias. It was German unit, using German airplanes.

Italian aviators in Spanish War were called Aviazione Legionaria ("Legion's Aviation" - pretending to be air part of the Spanish Foreign Legion).

• Like 1

In Spain the italian forces where hidden as part of the 'Tercio des Extranjeros' (the spanish Foreign Legion) for political reason ; Germany forces, arrived later, don't had the necessity of this masquerade and formed the so called 'Legion Condor'. Italian and German forces used only national equipment; no S-79 flow for the germans..

r.

• Like 1

Hello.

Some update:

The construction is ongoing.
As You can see in the pictures now its have aircraft shape finally.
The assambly was OK, wasn't any bigger problems. just some filling and sanding.

P1060787.jpg

Somehow I forgot to take a shot from the interrior before glueing together the fusalege.

P1060791.jpg

P1060795.jpg

P1060796.jpg

P1060797.jpg

P1060798.jpg

P1060799.jpg

The correct shade of the green in sunlight:

P1060801.jpg

P1060802.jpg

P1060803.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you guys, I didnt know that.

I'd edt the topic's title, if I could.

if you click the 'edit ' button, then you shiuld get an option to use 'full editor' and you can edit the thread title there.

Very neat work. Interesting project.

if you click the 'edit ' button, then you shiuld get an option to use 'full editor' and you can edit the thread title there.

Very neat work. Interesting project.

You are right, thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Watch the gaps. The lower wing was been (this is the correct way to say? -so no longer-) deformed, glueing to the upper side took three or four steps, starting from the wingtip.

P1060715.jpg

I'd suggest simply "was deformed".

Hey, a Matchbox Savoia (look at those trenches...)!

You're doing jolly nice work there Boris, looking forward to the finished article. Maybe you'll post your pics of it when it's ready in the "ready for inspection" section ?

• Like 2

And now, ready for painting!

P1060825.jpg

P1060827.jpg

P1060824.jpg

P1060828.jpg

P1060829.jpg

Attention with the shading ! The wing of the S-79 was covered in plywood and with fabric glued over : no trace of panel lines or other similia, only a continuos smooth surface.

r.

• Like 2

I'd suggest simply "was deformed".

Hey, a Matchbox Savoia (look at those trenches...)!

You're doing jolly nice work there Boris, looking forward to the finished article. Maybe you'll post your pics of it when it's ready in the "ready for inspection" section ?

Thank you. :)

I 'd like to post those pics in the "RFI" section, but You'd better stand by :)

Attention with the shading ! The wing of the S-79 was covered in plywood and with fabric glued over : no trace of panel lines or other similia, only a continuos smooth surface.

r.

Actually I wanted to shade not only the panel lines but some random other spots. As a pre-weathering.

I used this photo as reference

pic_70.jpg

I can see two thin dark pararell lines. Between the slat's and the aileron's.

But I'll make a revision.

Now I have to stop again for some days. I found the last bottle of MM Italian sand maybe all over Hungary but it takes some days for one of the local campanies to take it to the closest store from the further... I guess they lost it :D

Edited by Borisz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK then. I have two pics about the 28-11. Those two shows different camo. Similar, but not the same, so I made something based on the photos. Maybe a littlebit what if, but I tired of investigating evry pixels.

After one thin layer:

P1060880.jpg

Still not the final version:

P1060881.jpg

P1060882.jpg

P1060883.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...