Evening All,

The next project, still have a little to do on the Spartan but I started this one a few days ago.

The Spartan will get finished probably this weekend so don't panic :winkgrin:

CIMG5135_zpsypxj6hke.jpg

I bought this kit when it was first released and let a friend borrow it for a school project, needless to say I never saw the kit again and a few years later bought it again, this time with a view of building it.

This one will get finished in the proper colours of the cold war so another Green and Back machine and none of the once so fashionable fad of desert cam. You never know I might give the crew some black

coveralls this time around so I'm not accused of favouritism :-)

So onto the build, nothing fancy yet just putting together the bulk of the Tamiya kit so far from the box. a little Mr Surfacer on some of the joins but nothing too serious.

CIMG5136_zpsxilrbooi.jpg

Blocked in the rear of the gun with plastic card, we don't want to be seeing the commander and loaders lower torso through the gun mantlet,

CIMG5137_zpsq956oz5o.jpg

A little more Mr Surfacer to cover a few sink marks.

CIMG5140_zpsirtmjngr.jpg

Carpet crawler holes are filled. The sponson undersides will get plastic card blockers as well.

CIMG5139_zpsffbw2i2e.jpg

Gun Travel lock added.

CIMG5141_zps0s0ekamc.jpg

Gun Barrel done, just some clean up required of the two piece moulding, not a problem as it will probably get some cam around it.

CIMG5138_zpsri428a09.jpg

Please enjoy folks.

Dan

• Like 1

I remember this appearing in '83 after the failed MBT 90 project had hit the wall. I'd love to see a SPAAG variant in kit form. Great start to a much maligned vehicle and a classic cold war version should be an eye-catcher.

I remember this appearing in '83 after the failed MBT 90 project had hit the wall. I'd love to see a SPAAG variant in kit form. Great start to a much maligned vehicle and a classic cold war version should be an eye-catcher.

Just add one of these and shake:

C092.jpg

Accurate Armour's Marksman turret from their Chieftain Marksman conversion set: http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=0&category=66&subcategory=302&product=2133

Now to let another master class begin

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 2

Have 1 of these tucked away in the stash with all the goodies too, going to build it as my machine in The Gulf in 90/91, so going to follow this :popcorn: . Black coveralls......YUK no dont do it, RTR... no keep it CALVARY... :winkgrin: .

Darren

• Like 3

Thanks chaps, I'm still building the base kit at the moment taking as far as I can

Before the extra detailing, quite a few ejector pins to fill and sand on some of the smaller parts.

Dan

Cheers fella's,

A little more work done on the basic kit.

CIMG5142_zpsw03yzj30.jpg

CIMG5143_zps6wkb29bo.jpg

CIMG5144_zpsr5se4ecg.jpg

CIMG5146_zpsoqg40i24.jpg

Using the castoff rear turret bin from the update set, probably the only part that I will use TBH.

CIMG5147_zpsik9fy8k9.jpg

CIMG5148_zpsrgnaocvq.jpg

More later

Dan

• Like 4

A bit more progress tonight,

Turret bins are on the rear side, and I've added a few resin nuts and bolts.

CIMG5159_zpsmxoqoqb7.jpg

CIMG5160_zpsxzqraaua.jpg

Turret bin has had the 3 missing reinforcement strips added.

CIMG5158_zpsl22mt2vk.jpg

Some weld beads added to lifting lugs and the mesh for the front cam net basket added.

CIMG5157_zpsy3ig8u4p.jpg

CIMG5156_zpskxvbbibl.jpg

CIMG5154_zpspbc9brvm.jpg

Enjoy

Dan

• Like 5

I agree with ploy caps and the wheels, it's the tracks I was more interested in. I find with the rubber band type the paint can flake off a bit when you try and fit them...

Too be honest Phil, I don't really use the kit plastic tracks that often fella if I can avoid it, they are only on this until I put together

the Friuls. When I do use the plastic tracks I use a hot primer like Mr Surfacer and I've not had a case of paint flaking off yet.

Dan

• Like 2

Cheers Dan, I was somewhat cautious about using hot primers on the vinyl, I wasn't sure what it would do to it! I would love to try fruils but I can yet warrant the price vs the price of the kit, especially on vehicles with side skirts hiding part of the tracks.

Cheers Dan, I was somewhat cautious about using hot primers on the vinyl, I wasn't sure what it would do to it! I would love to try fruils but I can yet warrant the price vs the price of the kit, especially on vehicles with side skirts hiding part of the tracks.

They are expensive but if you can get to Telford then a set is about £20 direct from them, I wait and buy them at the show for any builds that are coming up.

Dan

The are good Phil, but the part count per link is crazy :yikes: They look really good once done but they are not an evenings work

The AS90 tracks are very well done and for less than a tenner you really cant go wrong , just be really careful with weathering them

with mineral spirit based products like the Mig or AK range, the spirits really attack the plastic and make them brittle.

Dan

• Like 1