esci 1/72 dc-3 air rescue service

managed to finish this one last week, was building two of them but the other has had to be put to the side due to the complex scheme... but managed to finish this one I did it in the scheme of the air rescue service based at Hamilton air base in 1946.

the kit itself wasn't to bad a build especially as is quite an old mould now,, the only problem had was the wing joints as there isn't much to attach them to and kept catching them so they kept breaking?? due to this my filling was not up to par, but lucky isn't noticeable, the decals were from an old micro scale set, all the scheme was airbrushed including the bands as look better than using the decals for the black band!!!!

P1090687.jpgP1090688.jpgP1090689.jpgP1090690.jpgP1090691.jpgP1090692.jpg

• Like 24

I love this - and your workmanship is wonderful.

Fantastic scheme. I'm not really into planes like this as a general rule, but I have a real soft spot for dc-3s, so it is great to see this.

I'm sure the main reason for my fondness for this type is due to childhood memories of a real dc-3 that was used as a drawcard by Macca's down at West Lakes here in Adelaide, South Australia. Here's a photo: http://www.aussieairliners.org/dc-3/vh-aer/0250.007.html

Oh, what fun it was (no longer there, sadly).

Your trouble with the wings rings a bell - I can't remember the kit, but it was an Eduard biplane that I had a similar problem with (and Eduard kits are normally very well engineered). The lower wings basically 'attached' via slots of about 10mm long and literally just over .5mm deep into reciprocal depressions in the fuselage. Was never going to happen - they just kept falling off, and that was before any tension from rigging came into play. That was when I first ventured into pinning with thin metal rods. Consequently, I really enjoyed the build, but prior to that the whole build was on the verge of ruination due to the sheer frustration. And I picked up a new skill!

So I feel your pain - particularly with the length of the wings and added weight of the engines, I daresay it must have driven you half mad.

I love this - and your workmanship is wonderful.

Fantastic scheme. I'm not really into planes like this as a general rule, but I have a real soft spot for dc-3s, so it is great to see this.

I'm sure the main reason for my fondness for this type is due to childhood memories of a real dc-3 that was used as a drawcard by Macca's down at West Lakes here in Adelaide, South Australia. Here's a photo: http://www.aussieairliners.org/dc-3/vh-aer/0250.007.html

Oh, what fun it was (no longer there, sadly).

Your trouble with the wings rings a bell - I can't remember the kit, but it was an Eduard biplane that I had a similar problem with (and Eduard kits are normally very well engineered). The lower wings basically 'attached' via slots of about 10mm long and literally just over .5mm deep into reciprocal depressions in the fuselage. Was never going to happen - they just kept falling off, and that was before any tension from rigging came into play. That was when I first ventured into pinning with thin metal rods. Consequently, I really enjoyed the build, but prior to that the whole build was on the verge of ruination due to the sheer frustration. And I picked up a new skill!

So I feel your pain - particularly with the length of the wings and added weight of the engines, I daresay it must have driven you half mad.

it did drive me mad what made it worse was when was just finishing it ready to take to my local model show, the wings popped again so had to try fix without it showing....

Edited by batcode

Well you did a fair job of it then - no obvious signs of damage. In your shoes, I'd likely have seen if the f&^%%$ing thing could fly and hurled into a wall at the speed of my arm.

So not only do I admire your skill, and perseverance, but also your self control!

Well you did a fair job of it then - no obvious signs of damage. In your shoes, I'd likely have seen if the f&^%%$ing thing could fly and hurled into a wall at the speed of my arm.

So not only do I admire your skill, and perseverance, but also your self control!

was close mind its heading that way with the other as struggling with the scheme and all the contours to it!!!!

Very nice build!

Please forgive me - I am just curious about the red outlined national insignia, in style of few months of 1943 (AFAIR), in 1946? Is there any story behind it?

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Nice Dakota, the OD with this big yellow portions look very nice, a real head turner.

Is the Esci C-47 the same as in the Italeri boxes?

Nice Dakota, the OD with this big yellow portions look very nice, a real head turner.

Is the Esci C-47 the same as in the Italeri boxes

hi no from what seen it was just an esci tooling

thanks everyone for the great comments.

• Like 1

hi no from what seen it was just an esci tooling

thanks everyone for the great comments.

Yes, there are Italeri boxed Italeri Kits, Esci boxed Esci Kits, Airfix boxed italeri kits, Airfix boxed Airfix kits and Italeri boxed Esci Kits :D

So you can get an Esci kit in an Italeri box these days, The latest Dakota III Italeri kit is from Esci moulds, while the older C-47 is Italeri's own moulds.