Weir Reaction from Tamiya/PMA tape to WEM MSG paint - help please?

GPB

Hi Guys,
I masked up a model with a hard edge demarcation between upper and lower surfaces recently. I had used White Ensign Models Medium Sea Grey on the lower surfaces which was thoroughly dry when the masking tape went on. Went to prepare my paint for the first upper surface colour the next day and apply it when I found nearly all of the masking tape was lifting or had fallen off.

My first thought was - dodgy tape, but the same stuff has been on the other model in the incubator applied over Xtracolor without any lifting for a few weeks and it was bought a couple of months ago. Conclusion; paint fumes or some chemical in the WEM paint attacking the tape glue? Am I right?

As I'm not sure I'd welcome any ideas or suggestions - has this happened to anyone else?

Cheers,
Gary

I have never used WEM paints but I would guess at it being something to do with the "oiliness" of the two different enamels. I find that masking tape sticks too well to the Humbrol enamels I use and so I always mask up just before painting and have to rub down pretty hard to ensure that the tape doesn't lift during spraying or brush painting. I find as well that the matter the paint the less well the masking gets a grip.